Joined 4621 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 137 of 195
14 July 2013 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Madainn mhath and Dia dhaoibh!

This is to inform everybody that I have started my second Celtic language. Besides
Scottish Gaelic, I'm also studying Irish now.

I hope I won't mix up the two languages, but I don't want to decide in favour of one
yet. So, I will try how studying two closely related languages works out. So far, the
sound of Irish sounds even better to me than the one of Gaelic, but I would
nevertheless like to finish my Gaelic textbook. I'll keep you updated about my progress
in my log.

Slàn leibh and slán libh!

Buy a bottle of Irish Whiskey, and a bottle of good malt Scotch, and commence each
lesson with a wee tot / dram of the appropriate liquor, and finish off with the same.

I'm not exactly sure how this would help, but I'm quite certain this would work for
me...

:)

3 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4637 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 138 of 195
14 July 2013 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
The problem is I only really like Scottish single malts. Does that mean I have to concentrate on Gaelic? ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4397 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 139 of 195
16 July 2013 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
Montmorency, that's an excellent idea. I think the sensory input of the different tasting
whisk(e)y's will help keep the languages separate in my mind, yes that will work...:)

More than half way through the year and I've decided to begin Welsh. Let's see how three
Celtic languages sit on the brain. By my count that's two shorts of whiskey and a pint of
Welsh lager a day...oh my.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6496 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 140 of 195
17 July 2013 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
Dia dhuit - agus slainte! I proceed as usual with the Irish language on a diet of H Potter and some grammar and vocabulary studies - no whisk(e)y) so far. However I have no plans about adding other Celtic languages to the pot. If/when I extend my linguistic range will in all likelihood be a with restart of Polish plus maybe a Southern Slavic language and if so then definitely one of those that are written with Cyrillic letters (Bulgarian, Macedonian and partly Serbian). Besides I have also become slightly interested in Hungarian after the conference in Budapest - although more because of some funny coincidences in the morphology than for social reasons. And Finnish has been looming in the horizon for some time now. There is simply not room for another Celtic language in the near future, and the arguments given above would not change even with a hefty intake of alcoholic beverages.

Edited by Iversen on 17 July 2013 at 11:24am

1 person has voted this message useful

Shemtov
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4607 days ago

49 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*, Biblical Hebrew
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Aramaic

Message 141 of 195
25 July 2013 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
Can I please be removed from the team?

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5349 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 142 of 195
26 July 2013 at 3:51am | IP Logged 
Shemtov wrote:
Can I please be removed from the team?

Of course you can (I've amended the list to respect your wishes), although I'm sad to be losing one of our Scottish Gaelic learners in this year's team. However I'm sure you have good reasons, and the door's always open if you ever wish to return and join us. All the best with picking up the Colloquial and TY courses once life becomes a little less hectic and you feel like reembarking on some Celtic language study again. G'un robh math agad!

Edited by Teango on 26 July 2013 at 3:54am

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5349 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 143 of 195
06 August 2013 at 4:45am | IP Logged 
It's hard to believe it's August already, and what better time to count remaining heads and sturdy oars?! Which brave souls are still aboard, unperturbed to brave the high rolling seas that lie ahead over the months to come, and destined to reach new shores and language goals by New Year's Day? Which of us Celtic swashbucklers have (*ahem*) fallen overboard or found solace in a bottle of rum somewhere along the way, but are now ready to dry themselves off and splice the mainbrace once again in pursuit of bold adventure and exotic linguistic bounty?

I've had a quick glance through all our seafaring language logs to date, and have noted down the last month each of us posted an update here on the Forum for our Celtic language(s) (see list below, and apologies for any initial oversights or errors):

Guiding Stars

Jul - Iversen (Irish) *Honorary "Uncle"
Apr - Khublei (Irish) *Honorary "Godmother"

Salty Sea Dogs

Aug - Josquin (Scottish Gaelic, Irish)
Jul - vermillon (Breton)
Jul - jeff_lindqvist (Irish)
Jul - liammcg (Scottish Gaelic, Irish, Welsh)
Jul - DaraghM (Irish, Scottish Gaelic)
Jun - tarvos (Breton)

Drunken Scallywags

Apr - Teango (Irish)
Apr - Maïwenn (Breton)

Lost at Sea?

Feb - mezzofanti (Irish)
Jan - galaxyrocker (Irish, Scottish Gaelic)
Jan - Gosiak (Welsh)
Jan - thusspakeblixa (Irish)

Please could you all leave a quick message here on our team thread to confirm who's still in? A simple nautical "Aye!" will do. I'll give it a week and then post a list of our active team members on the TAC 2013 Organization and Sign-up thread to let the other teams in the TAC know.

And don't forget, there's still 5 months left to go and everything to play for. So good luck to everyone in Clan Lugus, and keep your oar-arms strong...we'll get there as the Forum's first ever Celtic TAC team and we'll do it in style for 2013!

Now, full ahead, and easy as she goes... :)

Edited by Teango on 06 August 2013 at 5:45am

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4637 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 144 of 195
06 August 2013 at 10:10am | IP Logged 
Aye, aye! I'm still aboard studying Scots Gaelic and Irish and now even dabbling in Welsh.

I hope you others are doing well, too. Slán agaibh!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version