United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5349 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 121 of 195
29 April 2013 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
Gourc'hemmenoù (congratulations) Tarvos, that's great news!

Edited by Teango on 29 April 2013 at 9:20pm

1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4621 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 122 of 195
30 April 2013 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
@Teango et al:-

It's very exciting to see a Celtic team. I'm afraid I'm not in a position to join you,
but I'm with you in spirit pobol! (Welsh would have been my poison).

I did make moderately serious attempts to learn Welsh, oh, probably back in the 1980s
or so, mainly via BBC Radio Wales (the English service, but they had Welsh lessons at
certain times), TYS, and a lot of material my in-laws gave me. My wife's family all
learned Welsh to some degree, as they had lived in Wales for a number of years and I
was influenced by them to some degree although I've always been pro-Celtic in principle
(if not much in practice :-) ).

I do hope to get back to it one day, and of course there is much more in the way of
accessible resources nowadays.

By the way, if you are able to access it (I'm not sure what restrictions there may be
outside of the UK), there is a soap opera on BBC Cymru TV called Pobol Y Cwm (People of
the valley), which has been running for decades. My in-laws used to watch it.
You can switch on English subtitles in the iplayer interface.

Pobol Y
Cwm

Well, I may pencil it in for next year some time. :-)

In the meantime, have fun boyo's!

EDIT: p.s.

This may have been posted, but some pretty good resources here:-

BBC Wales - Learn Welsh

including the series I used to listen to years ago: "Catchphrase".

"The Original Catchphrase"

Edited by montmorency on 30 April 2013 at 1:10am

3 persons have voted this message useful

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4397 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 123 of 195
24 May 2013 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
How are we all doing?

I've had little chance to study Gaelic over the past month but will continue on from
next week. I'm also planning (depending on the cost of flights) a trip to the Outer
Hebrides over the summer/autumn. Hopefully the trip would help me to push on to a solid
level. For anyone that's never been, I can highly recommend South Uist, without a doubt
one of the most beautiful places I've ever had the chance to visit.

I've received a copy of Colloquial Welsh by Gareth King which I hope to begin
sometime during the winter when my Gaelic will (hopefully!) have improved a great deal.

This past week I've been sitting my final exams, with four being in Irish. Just a
grammar paper on Saturday and then I'm free :) I've also noticed the large collection
pf Irish books I've accumulated over the past year which I haven't had the chance to
explore in depth. Hopefully they shall provide some pleasurable reading for the
duration of the holidays.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4500 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 124 of 195
24 May 2013 at 12:06pm | IP Logged 
Since completing Le Breton, n'm eus ket graet netra. N'oa ket amzer.

(I haven't done anything with Breton, except looking at possibilities to spend a week in
Bretagne on a summer course. But that won't be this summer)

Edited by tarvos on 24 May 2013 at 12:06pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4637 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 125 of 195
26 May 2013 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, as most of you will have read in my log, I had a little crisis over the last month, but having returned from Ireland my interest in the Celtic languages is stronger than ever. I am now studying Scottish Gaelic again (still using Lehrbuch der schottisch-gälischen Sprache, I'm at unit 20 right now) and I'm dabbling a bit in Irish. I bought Mícheál Ó Siadhail's Learning Irish in Dublin and I'm having a look at it now and then. I'm not planning on studying Irish seriously for the next time, but the day may come when I'll take a closer look on that language. Well, I want to enhance my Gaelic first, so that day may still be far away.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6496 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 126 of 195
27 May 2013 at 12:55pm | IP Logged 
liammcg wrote:
How are we all doing?

I have been away for home for about three weeks, and now where I'm back I am bogged down with my travel photos, family visits, my job (where we have to move to another building next week) and other menial tasks. I did bring Teach Your self's Irish socalled grammar along, but I just got even more annoyed with this clumsy hybrid between a true grammar and a text book. I expect to get back to Irish sometime this week, but then it will be after a hiatus of almost a month. But I expect to get back into 'learning mode' fairly quickly with those of my tools which I trust (one grammar and one dictionary plus abair.ie), and my intensive study time will of course mostly be based on Harry Potter.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4500 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 127 of 195
29 May 2013 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
I have bought Harry Potter 1 in Breton. Hopefully that will improve my level.

Edited by tarvos on 29 May 2013 at 11:00am

2 persons have voted this message useful

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4471 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 128 of 195
29 May 2013 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
I have bought Harry Potter 1 in Breton. Hopefully that will improve my level.

Ha ha! Did you you glask.com? Otherwise, where did you buy?

I haven't really touched Breton this month, apart from the daily reviews. It's a shame, but I'm focusing more on Classical Chinese for the 6WC and there's a Chinese movie/docu festival in town, and it's swallowing up pretty much all the time I have.

I've heard that my grandmother's extended family (which I've never met) has some Breton speakers, including some whose French is heavily Breton-accented, perhaps hinting that Breton is not only their native language, but also their main daily language. Who knows, perhaps I'd get the chance to meet these people some day!

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version