195 messages over 25 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 24 25 Next >>
liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4397 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 49 of 195
16 December 2012 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
For a native speaker's singing and pronunciation of the song have a listen to Darach Ó
Catháin. For those that don't know, he's singing in the Sean-nós, or "old style":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=3AFRCWg_kOc

Edited by liammcg on 16 December 2012 at 2:10pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4637 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 50 of 195
16 December 2012 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
That's very interesting! Thanks for that link.
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6496 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 51 of 195
16 December 2012 at 2:49pm | IP Logged 
I looked up that song and found that it also is in the repertoire of Sinead O'Connor. For me songs simply don't interfere into my language learning because I prefer instrumental music and therefore never try to understand song texts, but if having a rallying battle cry helps the full members of this clann to build some kind of team spirit then that's fine with me.

For me the logical choice for a first Celtic language could have been Welsh, but I chose Irish because it has some excellent resources such as the speech synthethizer Abair.ie, and even though Welsh certainly has more speakers I know little about the culture and history of Wales, but a fair amount about the story of Ireland. And I don't expect ever to have to speak any of the Celtic languages to a native speaker so it is purely for personal pleasure and broadening of my linguistic horizon that I deal with any of them. Scottish Gaelic isn't an option because it is so rare and I already have a project running with Lowland Scots. And Breton? Well, I feel I ought to learn it, but I simply haven't seen the kind of resources I need to study it. And the dead ones will have to wait.

Edited by Iversen on 16 December 2012 at 2:50pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4637 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 52 of 195
16 December 2012 at 3:03pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
For me songs simply don't interfere into my language learning because I prefer instrumental music and therefore never try to understand song texts, but if having a rallying battle cry helps the full members of this clann to build some kind of team spirit then that's fine with me.

In fact, many Gaelic (Irish as well as Scottish) songs deal with battles and fights against the English supremacy. The Gaelic identity had been endangered for a long time, and so songs were used to express and build a community spirit. I don't think one should understand this song as a plain summons to battle and war, but rather as an exhortation to resist the English suppression and fight for a Gaelic identity. If this should not be allowed for reasons of political correctnes and/or pacifism, I could gladly propose other songs, as music is really a great and important part of the Gaelic culture.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6702 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 53 of 195
16 December 2012 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for reminding me about that song. I once heard it in a pub in Ireland, sung by an old lady who stopped by (the pub was run by her daughter's husband). We all did our best to join in the chorus...

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5349 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 54 of 195
17 December 2012 at 3:34am | IP Logged 
A wonderful Irish song...I used to sing this softly to my goddaughter as a baby, and she'd drift off to sleep like a light. :)

Edited by Teango on 17 December 2012 at 3:34am

thusspakeblixa
Diglot
Ireland
espaprender.wordpres
Joined 4311 days ago

15 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*, Irish
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 55 of 195
17 December 2012 at 9:57am | IP Logged 
Thanks for those links Teango. Has anyone here any experience learning Manx? I've been looking at learnmanx.com lately and doing a few introductory lessons. It's sort of like phonetic Irish- the words often sound similar to Irish, just look like an English speaker has written them. Bannaghtyn replaces Beannachtaí, and so on. I suppose it's somewhere between Irish and Scots Gaelic.
It reminds me a lot of certain place names around Ireland- when the English renamed towns they often just Anglicised Irish names. Cork, Galway and so on are famous examples of that. There are two rivers in Wexford, both called 'Abhainn Dubh' in Irish. One is correctly called 'Blackwater' in English, but the other is called 'Owenduff'.

Edited by thusspakeblixa on 17 December 2012 at 9:58am

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5944 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 56 of 195
17 December 2012 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
I'm on for clan Lugus and Teango as the ceann. While I initially liked it, I thought Camelot clan sounded a bit Monthy Python.

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version