espaprender.wordpres
Joined 4311 days ago

15 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*, Irish
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 65 of 195
21 December 2012 at 4:13pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
Ní féidir liom cuimhneamh ar a lán na Gaeilge, ach tá súil agam go mbeidh 2013 a fheiceáil a fheabhsú\méadú. (Cad atá ceart?)

Sílim gur bhfuil "a fheabhsú" é ceart- mar is é "a méadú" = "increase".
1 person has voted this message useful

Khublei
Bilingual Triglot
Yugoslavia
homestayperu.net
Joined 5140 days ago

90 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: English*, Irish*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Khasi, French, Albanian

Message 66 of 195
21 December 2012 at 10:28pm | IP Logged 
thusspakeblixa wrote:
DaraghM wrote:
Ní féidir liom cuimhneamh ar a lán na Gaeilge, ach tá súil agam go
mbeidh 2013 a fheiceáil a fheabhsú\méadú. (Cad atá ceart?)

Sílim gur bhfuil "a fheabhsú" é ceart- mar is é "a méadú" = "increase".

Tá an ceart agat, thusspakeblixa. "...tá súil agam go bhfeicfidh mé feabhas i 2013". (I hope I see an improvement in
2013).

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5349 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 67 of 195
22 December 2012 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
Here's to wishing Khublei and Donovan "fáilte ó chroí" (a warm welcome) to our clan! :) :) *chinking glasses*

Khublei is not only a native Irish speaker and teacher, but also a wonderful writer and promoter of the Irish language to boot, and I'm really happy she's agreed to be our "Godmother" (or maybe there's a more Celtic term for this) in 2013. I think her idea of using Twitter to practice our languages is one I'm definitely going to take up next year.

Donovan has a background in applied linguistics and a passion for both learning languages and helping to raise awareness of endangered languages. Having worked in a similar field, this is a fella I can definitely relate to. I've followed his journey in Irish over the last year with great interest, and I look forward to hearing more about his experiences in the Gaeltacht immersing in Irish for the first time and meeting TG4 celebrities (ideally over a real Guinness one day).

Just as a small but significant concluding note...it's great to log on to the forum and already see a whole new wave of Breton, Irish, and Scottish Gaelic in recent posts (please let me know if I missed out on any Welsh). Keep up the good work everyone, and glad to see we all survived the misinterpreted Mayan end of the world! :)

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4397 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 68 of 195
22 December 2012 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
thusspakeblixa wrote:
Thanks for those links Teango. Has anyone here any experience
learning Manx? I've been looking at learnmanx.com lately and doing a few introductory
lessons. It's sort of like phonetic Irish- the words often sound similar to Irish, just
look like an English speaker has written them. Bannaghtyn replaces Beannachtaí, and so
on. I suppose it's somewhere between Irish and Scots Gaelic.
It reminds me a lot of certain place names around Ireland- when the English renamed
towns they often just Anglicised Irish names. Cork, Galway and so on are famous
examples of that. There are two rivers in Wexford, both called 'Abhainn Dubh' in Irish.
One is correctly called 'Blackwater' in English, but the other is called 'Owenduff'.

I spent a week in the Isle of Man three years ago, playing at a music festival in the
company of Manx speakers. The language is very similar to both Irish and Scottish
Gaelic (more so to SG I imagine, e.g. Good evening is "Feasgar math" in SG, "Fastyr
mie" in Manx). My friends and I remarked that it was like Irish written in Welsh! I
find it quite difficult to read, based on some friends Facebook updates. Also, as the
language is a revived language, native pronunciation (as far as I know) has been lost
and people tend to speak the language with a Northern English accent due to migration
from the Island to England down through the years. Again, if I'm wrong I apologise.
This accent isn't, to my ear, very enticing to learn so I haven't done much with
Manx...Listen to this talk with the last native speaker of the language, Ned Maddrell
here.
His accent sounds much more Gaelic than the Manx speakers I've talked to.

I'd be interested in finding courses in Manx which use a native pronunciation, does
anyone know of such a resource, or perhaps recordings and transcripts of the likes of
Ned Maddrell?

Edited by liammcg on 22 December 2012 at 11:56am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5349 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 69 of 195
23 December 2012 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
I just found a great site for learning Manx! It has loads of audio and accompanying text/notes (including the novel "Dunveryssyn yn Tooder-Folley" (The Vampire Murders) by Brian Stowell), structured lessons for all levels, and a big bagful of links about community projects on the Isle of Man and success stories concerning the continuing revival and growth of the Manx language (e.g. the Bunscoil).

What's particularly exciting for me is that even though the last in a line of native speakers Nedd Maddrell died in 1974, there was a great deal of research and recordings done prior to this in order to preserve the language, as well as many fluent second-language speakers at the time. With the hard work and support of the larger community on the Isle of Man, as well as several other organisations and fluent speakers, Manx now has a new generation of native speakers. :)

"Manx is taught as a second language at all of the island's primary and secondary schools and also at the Isle of Man College and Centre for Manx Studies. Manx is used as the sole medium for teaching at five of the Island's preschools by a company named Mooinjer Veggey, which also operates the Bunscoill Ghaelgagh."

"The first native speakers of Manx (bilingual with English) in many years have now appeared: children brought up by Manx-speaking parents."

[Wikipedia, The Manx Language, Education]

Edited by Teango on 23 December 2012 at 12:30am

5 persons have voted this message useful

galaxyrocker
Diglot
United States
Joined 4202 days ago

6 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*, Irish

Message 70 of 195
26 December 2012 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
So, if possible, I'd like to join. I'm going to be continuing Irish, and working on Scots
Gaelic on my own, if possible. Honestly, I'm not sure how active I can be, but will try
to post at least every other week. Also, depending on school schedule, I might end up
doing a 3rd language, outside of those two, so yeah.

As to what I'm going to be doing to help: well, I'll be continuing Irish courses this
coming semester, with hopes of another immersion program over the summer, and continuing
on in the fall with yet more Irish. As for Scots Gaelic, I have a lot of resources on my
computer, and will probably try to pick up the grammar (I learn better that way...very
mathematical) and vocab and try to find some natives to speak with (easier said than
done, I know).

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4637 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 71 of 195
26 December 2012 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
Fàilte!

Good to see another student of Scottish Gaelic. Hopefully, we can help each other with this fascinating and beautiful language!

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
Joined 5349 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 

Message 72 of 195
27 December 2012 at 4:36am | IP Logged 
A hearty fàilte to our newest member, galaxyrocker, who'll be studying both Irish and Scottish Gaelic with us in 2013! :)

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version