Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
195 messages over 25 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 19 ... 24 25 Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6496 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 145 of 195
06 August 2013 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
I proceed slowly, but steadily through Harry Potter no. 1 in Irish. Well (= "buell" in Harry P), three or four pages a week can't really be called an avalanche of input, and I hardly ever listen to spoken Irish, but at my stage you can learn a lot of new words and constructions from just one page. Besides I study bilingual printouts from other sources a couple of times each week, and I have regular spurts of intensive grammatical studies - like when I recently thought the Irish system of relative sentences needed some clarification, or when I went through the mutations after conjunctions with or without that final -r which testify to a lost "ro". I'm close to being able to read straightforward texts with the help of a dictionary now, and I can construct something that has a certain ressemblance with genuine Irish, but the language is not likely to enter the "speaks" zone to the left in the near future.

Edited by Iversen on 06 August 2013 at 3:06pm

1 person has voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6702 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 146 of 195
06 August 2013 at 11:24am | IP Logged 
Aye aye, tá mé anseo fós!

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4471 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 147 of 195
07 August 2013 at 3:10am | IP Logged 
Hey! Even though I don't think I ever posted in the team thread, I guess I'm still part of the team since I still study Breton and follow the other logs regularly (which makes me tempted to try Welsh, btw...).

Now being on a Sinitic holiday, but my plans for Breton once I'm back are to go through the old Assimil and expand my Anki deck. From there on however, I'm not sure what I'll do to go further: probably try to expand my vocabulary by reading.

Ah, and I've seen a job offer (in NLP) working on Scottish Gaelic, but they were looking for PhDs (and preferably with a knowledge of a Godelic Celtic language), so I've let it pass. May have been fun though!

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4500 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 148 of 195
07 August 2013 at 8:14am | IP Logged 
Still here waiting to sail Baikal tomorrow

Teango
Triglot
Winner TAC 2010 & 2012
United States
teango.wordpress.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5349 days ago

2210 posts - 3734 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Russian
Studies: Hawaiian, French, Toki Pona

Message 149 of 195
13 August 2013 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
I've posted an update for our team in the TAC 2013 Organization and Sign-up thread as promised. And let me just say, it's great to see so many of our active members still in the challenge, full of spirit and raring to go!

Khublei
Bilingual Triglot
Yugoslavia
homestayperu.net
Joined 5140 days ago

90 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: English*, Irish*, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Khasi, French, Albanian

Message 150 of 195
25 August 2013 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
Conas atá ag éirí le gach duine / How are you all getting on? I'm still following along. If anyone would like to give
one of the European Common Framework Exams a try at the end of the year I'd be willing to correct it. Or you could
aim for one of the Irish school exams (for those learning Irish Gaelic). I think the Ordinary Level Junior Cert Papers
should be ok for anyone approaching B1/B2.
4 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4621 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 151 of 195
25 August 2013 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:
Hey! Even though I don't think I ever posted in the team thread, I
guess I'm still part of the team since I still study Breton and follow the other logs
regularly (which makes me tempted to try Welsh, btw...).

I'm not in the challenge, but if you happen to look at my log, you will see in there a
mention of the "Say something in Welsh" website, forum and course, which are much to be
recommended. (Option of North or South Wales versions). It concentrates very much on
the spoken language, which I am becoming more and more convinced is the right approach.
(Unless perhaps one only ever wanted to read literary texts or the Welsh Bible).

So perhaps you might follow Oscar Wilde's example, when he said:
"I can resist anything except temptation".

EDIT: Silly me: I see that Teango posted about SSiW in this very thread, right near the
top, æons ago. Ah, well. Just goes to prove that great minds think alike, isn't it?

Edited by montmorency on 26 August 2013 at 12:07am

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4621 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 152 of 195
27 August 2013 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
By the way, Celtic scholars, if you would like some displacement / distraction material, or just fancy "reading around the subject", I found by chance this quite
interesting book on Cornish in Project Gutenberg (which tells you that it's quite old, so make due allowance for style, etc)

Handbook of Cornish

I had gone looking for some comparative analysis between Cornish and Welsh. That book isn't quite what I was looking for, but is interesting anyway. From the examples
of Cornish text given, it certainly has the look of Welsh about it, e.g. lots of "y"s, "w"s, "dh", "th", etc. The one letter that sticks out as being different is "k",
e.g. "Nadelik"=Christmas ("Nadolig" in Welsh).

According to an article in the Independent, (about the resurgence of Celtic), there is even a Cornish revivalist enclave in London.

HERE

We used to have at least one person on the forum active in Cornish. Sadly no longer posting, so far as I remember.

Edited by montmorency on 27 August 2013 at 5:56pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 195 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version