Triglot
Italy
Joined 5140 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 73 of 91
15 December 2013 at 2:47pm | IP Logged 
I’ve started watching the Julkalendern as well. It’s childish, but not as annoyingly so as last year. I find it more childishly charming than plain irritating. Let’s keep watching: I’ve noticed that I learn quite a few new words fairly easily with this kind of programme. So in the end it’s time well spent.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 74 of 91
16 December 2013 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
Yeah it is way better than it was last year. I've watched the last 4 available episodes
in the past 2 days so i'm going to have to wait every day now.

And something fun happened to me today! I went into town to buy some things for
Christmas and when I walked inside the shopping mall I got asked by a man if he could
ask me some questions about my shopping behavior etc. I did the whole interview (~10
questions) in full Swedish and don't even think the man realized I was foreign, or at
least he didn't make a comment about my Swedish. So that was a nice personal victory :D

Going to watch a few Solsidan episodes tonight and I haven't gone through all my
Memrise words yet, still have around 800 words (There were 2300) to water so it will be
a cozy studying evening :).

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4314 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 75 of 91
16 December 2013 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
Kez wrote:
I did the whole interview (~10
questions) in full Swedish and don't even think the man realized I was foreign, or at
least he didn't make a comment about my Swedish. So that was a nice personal victory :D

Nicely done.
By the way, where in Sweden have you moved to?

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 

Message 76 of 91
16 December 2013 at 7:51pm | IP Logged 
Thanks! I moved to Karlstad. Quite a nice town which lays at the biggest lake in Sweden.
And it's only 3-4 hours away from Oslo, Göteborg & Stockholm. Perfect location :)

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 

Message 77 of 91
18 December 2013 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
The past few days have been great for studying! I've watered all my 2000 words on
Memrise, watched all the julkalendern episodes, watched 6 Solsidan episodes and
listened alot to podcasts.

But TAC2013 is almost ending so I guess it is time for an end post. This has been a
crazy year for me. I started learning Swedish around December last year because I was
moving to Sweden in the summer. The first half of the year I was very motivated with
studying. I read alot of books, I watched lots of series en studied vocabulary on
Memrise.

I slowly got a hang of language and got used listening to it since I had my Swedish
girlfriend living with me. When I moved this summer I felt that I was prepared enough
to use Swedish as my language in everyday life. We first were up north with my
girlfriends parents for a month before we moved to Karlstad so there I had the chance
to improve my speaking a lot. My girlfriends mom is Polish so she understands how it's
like to learn a new language so she helps me with it (she speaks slowly to me and is
very patient when I speak).

When I was there I read around 6 books in a month, watched lots of Swedish TV and spoke
as much as possible to completely soak myself in the language. I made quick improvement
and felt more and more comfortable to speak the language.

I had a bit of a fall back when we finally moved to Karlstad. It was easy for me to
speak Swedish with my girlfriend all day but it was harder for me to understand our
friends since we live in a student town, so there are a lot of people with different
accents. There were some I could completely understand but a few of them were really
hard and barely could make out a single word. This is were I switched back to English
for a bit but still tried to speak as much Swedish as possible.

This was around 4 months ago and I am used to all of their accents now. I'm used to
speaking Swedish and sentences really fly out of my mouth. I still have problems
finding several words or I build sentences in a wrong way but I can understand people
and they understand me. I told all people I know here to criticize my Swedish as much
as they can (which is hard for a Swede because that's just not how they are, they'd
rather keep silent). But now they point out the mistakes I make and sometimes tell me
about better ways to say things instead of the way I did it (had a hard time using
'Kommer att' instead of 'Ska').

Swedish feels like the first language I actually study and I'm proud of what I learned
in a year. I just learned English through gaming and never really had to think about
actually studying it so I don't count it. My goal was to be able to communicate with
people the moment I moved and that was exactly what I was doing but there are still
many ways in which I can improve.

So that will be my challenge for the TAC2014 which I will be spending in the
Scandinavian Team again. I'm pretty much just pushing for fluently this year. I want to
wake up Swedish, talk Swedish with my cat and drive to my Swedish job where I talk
Swedish with my Swedish colleagues and my Swedish customers before I go home to my
Swedish girlfriend in my Swedish apartment. Everything will have to be Swedish,
absolutely everything. I can't wait!
3 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6702 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 78 of 91
18 December 2013 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Inspiring indeed!

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 

Message 79 of 91
23 December 2013 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
I'm in north of Sweden, enjoying the 4 hours of daylight and the snow. It's going very
well with Swedish. One of my first goals has always been to be able to talk with my
girlfriends parents in just Swedish and that's exactly what I've been doing the past
few days. I haven't changed back to English a single time. I'm able to join
conversations and say what I want to say. I even had a good conversation with her dad
for about 30-45 minutes long, it was so nice to finally be able to have a good
conversation with him without struggling with languages (Me with Swedish, him with
English).

Her parents gave me a new book to read as well. They say it's one of the funniest
Swedish books, it's called 'En man som heter Ove'. It will be a 16 hour train ride home
next week so I'll have enough time to begin reading it.

I've also been watching the daily episode of Julkalendern, I haven't had a single
problem understanding it. I've been watching the last few episodes without subtitles to
test myself and it went great! I've also watched to English movies with Swedish
subtitles (for my gf's parents). Won't consider it studying but it still helps me to
see the way the sentences are build. That's pretty much all "studying" I've been doing
this week. Won't do that much more either since I'm celebrating Christmas here. Just
speaking Swedish with the family here will be enough studying, won't need anything
else.

God jul och gott nytt år!

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 

Message 80 of 91
10 January 2014 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
TAC 2014 started off slow for me. Just been laying in bed being sick. Haven't done any
studying.

I'm also not sure how much I will be able to update this log this year because I'm not
really studying Swedish that much anymore. Since I've moved to Sweden I kinda stopped
studying with books/movies/memrise and mainly just focus on speaking with people. It
feels like that is the best way to improve my Swedish skills.

I would still like to try and set up a Skype conversation with the new Team Asgård. Might
give it a go soon and see how many people are up for it.

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version