Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
91 messages over 12 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 11 12 Next >>

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4784 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 41 of 91
21 January 2013 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Hey Kez, it looks like you're one of our most active team members! Congrats!
Are you going to post weekly or monthly summaries about your learning process?
1 person has voted this message useful

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 42 of 91
22 January 2013 at 8:56am | IP Logged 
Thanks!

At the moment my learning process isn't that special. I'm working on the 30 day
challenge to immerse myself into the language and get more used to it. After these 30
days I will see what I think I need the most. Thinking about focusing more on speaking
after this (I'll finally be done with uni by then).

So these days it's speaking/listening + watching + reading, and during all this i'm
going to prepare/find a way to start speaking more. I was thining of learning
everything subject per subject. So tha tI can slowly replace things I would normally do
in English, and then do them in Swedish. Hopefully that will slowly end up in atleast
2-3 hours speaking a day (which is what i'm going to aim for after this 30 day
challenge).

But I'll make a nice summary when I'm done with this 30 day challenge and tell what I
thought of it, if it was easy to do, if I learned in a good/fast way, and most of all:
if it was worth it.

Are there any ways you would suggest for me? Since you're an experienced language
learner ^^

Mae
Trilingual Octoglot
Pro Member
Germany
Joined 4784 days ago

299 posts - 499 votes 
Speaks: German*, SpanishC2*, Swiss-German*, FrenchC2, EnglishC2, ItalianB2, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Swedish
Personal Language Map

Message 43 of 91
22 January 2013 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
Not any particular suggestion. As you are learning in a different way I normally do, I
was hoping to get any "take home message" from your experiences. It would be very
interesting to know how it worked for you, what you are keeping and what you would change
in the future. I'm always looking out for tips from other learners/students :-)))

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 

Message 44 of 91
24 January 2013 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
30 DAY CHALLENGE - DAY 12, 13 & 14
- Read 32 pages of my book
- Watched an episode of Wallander & part 1 of Torka aldrig tårar utan handskar.
- Spoke Swedish for 1 hour, 15 minutes.
- Read 34 news articles

That brings the total to:
- Pages read of book: 238
- Watched series/movies: 17 hours 08 minutes
- Swedish spoken: 7 hours 45 minutes
- News articles read: 175
- New words learned: 95

Only missed out on 15 minutes of speaking the last 3 days, but i'm still satisfied with
the work i've done. These couple of days have been hard on me, some personal stuff that
isn't going the way I hoped it would go, lots of uni work and my motivation dropped to
the bottom because of all that. But I was still able to keep it up by telling myself
that I wanted this and that I just had to keep on going. I know that it will be worth
it in the end and to be honest, it's no fun at all if it isn't hard and challenging.

It was fun watching Torka aldrig tårar utan handskar since I'm reading the book
aswell. I'm halfway in the book and I recognized alot of the things that happened in
Part 1 of the mini-serie. Some situations were a bit different than I thought but still
very similar. So it's good know that I have a good understanding of what I'm reading. I
also downloaded the audio book of Torka aldrig tårar utan handskar, so I can listen to
it as well. Maybe even listen+read when I feel like it.

I'm almost halfway of my challenge, and i'm still on schedule. Just 15 more days and I
can see what I gained from it and what I should change.

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 

Message 45 of 91
25 January 2013 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
30 DAY CHALLENGE - DAY 15
- Read 10 pages of my book
- Watched part 2 of Torka aldrig tårar utan handskar.
- Spoke Swedish for 30 minutes
- Read 8 news articles

- Pages read of book: 248
- Watched series/movies: 18 hours 08 minutes
- Swedish spoken: 8 hours 15 minutes
- News articles read: 183

I've checked the amount of pages, series, hours of speaking and articles I should've
reached in 30 days, it's:
- 300 Pages total
- 15 Hours of series/movies
- 15 Hours of speaking
- 150 News articles

I'm exactly halfway now, and I've already reached the amount of hours watching
series/movies and the amount of news articles. I'm over halfway with speaking and only
52 pages more (~5 days of reading) and I've reached my end goal. This doesn't mean i'm
going to stop doing it, I'm going to complete the 30 days and see how much more I can
do in comparison of what I though I could reach in those 30 days.

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 

Message 46 of 91
28 January 2013 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
30 DAY CHALLENGE - DAY 16, 17 & 18
- Read 46 pages of my book
- Watched 1,5 hours of series
- Spoke Swedish for 1 hour
- Read 22 news articles

- Pages read of book: 294
- Watched series/movies: 19 hours 38 minutes
- Swedish spoken: 9 hours 15 minutes
- News articles read: 205

I'm really busy at the moment and I'm trying to use as much time for Swedish as I'm
able to. ALmost finishing my uni and the pressure to have a job is causing some stress
but focusing on Swedish is helping me calm down a bit more. All of this is still no
reason to pause my every day routine though.

AnaV
Diglot
Denmark
Joined 4129 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: Danish

Message 47 of 91
30 January 2013 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
Kez wrote:

I've still got this feeling that I should be focusing on speaking a bit more than I do
at the moment. I have a native speaker in my house so it can't be that hard. I was
thinking of choosing a topic, then learn some sentences about it etc. and just have a
conversation about that with my gf. I was thinking about starting with cooking +
supermarket. And just learn everything I would need in those situations (ex: Should I
cut this? Do we need ...? Do we have any ... at home? etc.). If I would do 1 topic
every 2/3 days, that would mean that I could be having full Swedish days in maybe 3-4
weeks.

Would anyone be interested in 'teaming up' and make lists of
questions/answers/sentences/words for specific situations and maybe Anki/Memrise lists
of it? This doesn't necessarely have to be someone who's learning Swedish, we could
create lists in English, and translate it to our TL.

I have a hard time trying to speak more Danish with my husband too. This week I've been
searching the internet after some tips of how to increase gradually the time talking a
target language with a partner. Maybe I'm not very clear about my idea, but I thought
that maybe I could find a kind of schedule, for example, of when and how to start
having the more common "day to day" conversations on the language, and then make the
way to the more complex ones. Or maybe it should be on an hourly basis - start talking
1 hour per day, then 2, and so on. But I haven't find anything helpful.
I like the idea of the list, I'm sure it would help a lot. In my last attempts of
Danish conversation I've tried things like "What is your favorite childhood memory?"
and "What was the most interesting thing you read about today?". Maybe not the kind of
questions you had in mind, but I would like to try to think about others to help with
the list.

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 

Message 48 of 91
31 January 2013 at 8:25am | IP Logged 
30 DAY CHALLENGE - DAY 19, 20 & 21
- Read nothing of my book
- Watched 0 hours of series
- Spoke Swedish for 1 hour
- Read 26 news articles
- New words learned: 60

- Pages read of book: 294
- Watched series/movies: 19 hours 38 minutes
- Swedish spoken: 10 hours 15 minutes
- News articles read: 231
- New words learned: 155

Did not have the time to do much Swedish last days, i'm planning on doing some more the
next couple of days to catch up again. But university is really sucking up alot of
time, but I only have 1,5 week left and I've already got offered a programming job so I
don't have to worry about that anymore (huge relief).

@AnaV I don't really think there is a schedule of building up speaking hours with your
partner. I already have a small list of easy sentences/conversations and I will
continue to make some more. I could send you the file with the English sentences when
I'm done. After that I'm going to concentrate on speaking with my partner as much as I
can. I'll keep you up-to-date about how it's going and to tell you how I'm doing it.
For now, I just have the idea of setting a 'challenge' a month away, and have 1 small,
speaking related, challenge every week. These small challenges will keep me motivated
to keep on going and the big challenge will be to check my improvement. But I'll make a
few post per week in this log about how everything is going, what I'm changing, what
I'm learning etc.

Just 9 days left on this challenge now, time to step it up just a bit more!

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version