Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 57 of 91
06 March 2013 at 8:15am | IP Logged 
I'm really busy with programming these days but still learning Swedish as well. I hoped
on doing more Swedish but at the moment I don't have time for it. And instead of reading
and watching movies in Swedish, I'm mainly just speaking with my gf. I'm making small
steps forward with speaking, but my listening increased a lot by the amount of speaking
:)

I hope to have more time soon so I can make some more regular updates here and start
reading all the logs again!
1 person has voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5140 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 58 of 91
15 April 2013 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
Hej Kez!

It’s been a while since we’ve last heard from you. I’m sure you’ve been super busy with your trip to Sweden. I hope it was a great experience for you and that you had the chance to practice a lot of Swedish.

Would you care to tell your fellow Vikings how it went?

Ha det så bra!
Emme

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 

Message 59 of 91
12 June 2013 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
Hey Emme, just seen you post now!

It has indeed been quite a while, I've been very busy with some courses and work.

My trip to Sweden was great, we stayed at my gf's parents place and they only spoke
Swedish to me (but on a nice slow speed, which was a great help!). I was struggling
with quite some words but I could see that they really appreciated that I tried.

It was harder sticking to Swedish when we went out with friends because I usually have
a few drinks, young people tend to speak fast and use some slang. Just little things
like saying 'sen' instead of 'senare' are a bit confusing. I still spoke mainly English
with her friends because it's hard to speak in clubs because of the sound, I did try
and speak as much Swedish as I could when we were at houseparties though.

Right now i'm preparing to move! I'm leaving Holland in 1 month and will be in
Skellefteå for a few weeks before moving to Karlstad for atleast 4-5 years. I hope I'm
ready for it! The moment I arrive in Skellefteå i'm going to cut off English and only
speak Swedish. First thing i'm doing in Karlstad is checking where I can get some SFI
courses and lessons (Just so I can 'officialy' put it on my CV).

I'm very excited but it is damagin my Swedish learning progress at the moment, but i'm
mainly just enjoying my last few weeks here at home.

I've started reading the book En ö i havet. It's a great book. It also has a TV serie
so I first read it and then watch the serie. Would really recommend it!

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 

Message 60 of 91
04 September 2013 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
Hey Forum!

It's been a few months since my last post but i've been busy!

I have finally move to Sweden (almost 2 months ago). I've already met new Swedish friends
and I spend biggest part of my day speaking Swedish (around 90% of the day). So
everything is going very well for me. I keep on speaking with random people in stores and
everyone I meet. I'm still reading books, watching series and learning on Memrise though.

Cheers!

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 

Message 61 of 91
03 December 2013 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
Hej Vikings,

Not sure how many Vikings still follow the forum but since i've been so inactive it's
time for a new update.

I almost completely stopped speaking English! My Swedish is not even close to perfect
yet but I'm able to speak the language with the people here and they seem to understand
me. Still getting better everyday. Only thing that really feels like studying at the
moment is Memrise which I still use for learning words. Watching series feels very
normal now and I can understand almost everything that is going on without subtitles
which feels great. I still watch most things with subtitles but it's mainly for the
back up.

I've also finished reading the first Harry Potter book which was great. Haven't read
any of it before and never seen the movies so it was cool finally diving into that.

After spending a few months in Karlstad I'm finally used to all the different accents
my friends have. It was hard to understand some of them in the beginning but they
slowed down their speed when talking with me. Just sitting at parties while there are
lots of people around you speaking the language is also a great learning source.
Sometimes I would just sit there quiet and listen. I still make mistakes with speaking
and me and my friends have an occasional laugh about the weird mistakes I make but they
very much enjoy my creativity with the language when i'm trying to explain something
but don't know how.

Hardest thing to do was to get them to correct me. Swedish people were almost scared to
point out my mistakes, even after I told them that they had to.

I'm always searching for new books to read or series/movies to watch so if anyone has
any recommendations they're welcome!

I'm hesitating to move Swedish to languages I speak on the forum but that would leave
the languages i'm studying empty so I'm just going to wait with it :)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4500 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 62 of 91
03 December 2013 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Tyska är inte svårt att blända med holländska, men det är också nåt som vi alla gör som
holländare (jag är ingen undantag där). Jag tror också att det inte skulle ha nåt
dåligt inflytande på din tyska - det helt förväntas när det gäller holländare, språk
liknar varandra så mycket.

Att mixa upp språk är mer ett risiko när vi talar om språk där vi har inte än utvecklat
kunskaper (dvs. att tala portugisiskan och spanskan på samma tid, där man har inte lärt
sig en av de två tillräckligt bra). Det är en fördel att ha holländska som modersmål
och svenska på en bra nivå, det gör det lättare att förstå texter nar man får syn på
det. Jag tror inte att det finns nåt att vara rädd på här.

Kanske om du skulle läsa spanska och italienska med en gång skulle jag ha tvivlat om
det var en bra idé men ändå tror jag att man har egen val. Och jag själv är inte rädd
för det. Jag blandar bara språk när jag är trött eller när jag begriper mig dåligt på
språket som talas om.

Edited by tarvos on 03 December 2013 at 2:56pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 

Message 63 of 91
03 December 2013 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
Tack så mycket. Jag ska fundera på det :)

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4941 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 64 of 91
03 December 2013 at 4:49pm | IP Logged 
Hi Kez,

Thanks for your inspiring log.

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version