Diglot
Denmark
Joined 4129 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: Danish

Message 49 of 91
03 February 2013 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Yes, I would like to see your list, when you are done. Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 50 of 91
04 February 2013 at 8:39am | IP Logged 
@Anav I'm still working on it at the moment, which is the reason why I have less
minutes of actual speaking these days. I've prepared a document with sentences now
(which I'm still going to make bigger). I'll have more time next week and then i'm
going to "finish" it. Maybe watch some talking shows to add more and more content, i'll
keep you up to date!

30 DAY CHALLENGE - DAY 22, 23, 24 & 25
- Read 64 of my book
- Watched 2 hours of series
- Spoke Swedish for 1,5 hour
- Read 42 news articles
- New words learned: 30

That brings the total to:
- Pages read of book: 358
- Watched series/movies: 21 hours 08 minutes
- Swedish spoken: 11 hours 45 minutes
- News articles read: 273
- New words learned: 185

I'm still quite happy with the progress i've made the past weeks, especially since i've
been so busy with university and work. Just 5 more days and my 30 day challenge is over
and I already have some ideas of how I'm going to continue learning Swedish.

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 

Message 51 of 91
05 February 2013 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
January
Okay, time for me to write a small summary of the past month. It’s been a very busy
month for me but I was very motivated to do as much as I could. Some days were hard,
some days were very easy. I can really notice that i’m progressing in the language and
I love the feeling.

The past month i’ve been doing a bit of everything. I’ve started reading my first
Swedish books and it went better than expected. I read my books out loud to get used to
the prenounciation of the words. I have a Swede sitting next to me while i’m doing
this, and she’s correcting every mistake I make. In the beginning she had to correct me
quite alot, but now she only needs to correct me 1-2 times per page. I’m almost done
reading my second book and there are already 3 more books waiting for me. At the moment
one of my most favourite things to do in the language.

I’ve also been watching some movies/series. This is a more relaxed way of “learning”
for me. I watch a movie when I’m not really motivated to do anything. It has no use for
me to watch this with English subtitles, because i’ll be too busy reading the English
subs that I almost forget to listen to the Swedish they speak, so i’ve switched to
Swedish subtitles.   

I’ve also been listening to the Skype conversations my girlfriend has with her parents.
And I think that this is one of the best ways to practice my listening. I just hear
them talk about casual things every day. This works way and way better than watching
TV.

Speaking… oh oh speaking. Time to focus on speaking.

Ofcourse i’ve also been reading the news everyday and i’ve been learning words on
Memrise. Nothing special here, just routine.
Reading books out loud has been the best thing i’ve done this month. Reading helps me
with vocab & prenounciation. And I’m getting used to the flow of the language.

February
I’m going to have more time in February. I’ll be done with my education (YAY!) and I’ve
found a programming job (Double YAY!). And from now on i’m going to focus more on
speaking. I’m going to Sweden in the end of March and I just want to be able be part of
conversations instead of just sitting next to it.

BUT HOW?
I guess there is just 1 way… just speak it. I’ve already made a whole document with
questions, answers and sentences I normally use quite alot. I’ve translated sentences I
would use when I go to the supermarket, so when I’m actually going to the supermarket I
can just speak Swedish with my gf. I’m going to do this with my whole daily routine.
I’m just going to try and slowly change my day from English to Swedish. I’ll also dive
into Benny’s Fleunt in 3 months blog, since he’s focused on speaking.

I’m also thinking about covering a Swedish song with my guitar (+ my awfull singing)
and upload it on Youtube for the fun of it. But not sure if I have the balls for it yet
;) (If anyone has a request, tell me and i’ll think about it hehe).

2 persons have voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5140 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 52 of 91
05 February 2013 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Kez wrote:
January
Okay, time for me to write a small summary of the past month. [...]

Well, it seems that January was a very productive month for you and your Swedish and I’m sure that if you keep working so hard on your language skills as you’ve done so far, you’ll see even more impressive progress in the coming weeks.

Your trip to Sweden next month must be a very effective stimulus to keep studying and keep improving, and I must confess that I envy you a little for that! ;-)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5127 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 53 of 91
05 February 2013 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Personally I get a longing expression in my face at the thought of a native speaker at hand all the time. I
wonder if my husband would agree to a temporary divorce while I find a Russian native to practise with for a
while :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 

Message 54 of 91
06 February 2013 at 9:34am | IP Logged 
Emme wrote:
Your trip to Sweden next month must be a very effective stimulus to keep
studying and keep improving, and I must confess that I envy you a little for that! ;-)

Hopefully i'll see even more improvements the upcoming weeks. The trip surely is a
great stimulus.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Personally I get a longing expression in my face at the thought
of a native speaker at hand all the time. I wonder if my husband would agree to a
temporary divorce while I find a Russian native to practise with for a while :-)

It's very great to constantly have a native speaker around. But still not as easy as it
sounds, because it's hard to speak Swedish with eachother since we're used to speaking
English. But i've explained my plans for the upcoming weeks and we agreed that we're
going to focus on speaking the language a lot. She's a big help in this.

30 DAY CHALLENGE - DAY 26 & 27
- Read 20 of my book
- Watched 1 hours of series
- Spoke Swedish for 1 hour
- Read 12 news articles
- New words learned: 15

- Pages read of book: 378
- Watched series/movies: 22 hours 08 minutes
- Swedish spoken: 12 hours 45 minutes
- News articles read: 285
- New words learned: 200

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 

Message 55 of 91
11 February 2013 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
30 DAY CHALLENGE - DAY 28, 29 & 30
- Read 32 of my book
- Watched 2 hours of series
- Spoke Swedish for 2 hour
- Read 17 news articles
- New words learned: 45

- Pages read of book: 410
- Watched series/movies: 24 hours 08 minutes
- Swedish spoken: 14 hours 45 minutes
- News articles read: 302
- New words learned: 245

Yay I made it, I've learned alot but now it's time to start speaking!

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 

Message 56 of 91
20 February 2013 at 8:12am | IP Logged 
I've been busy past ~10 days with learning for a Microsoft Exam which i'm doing tomorrow.
After that I can finally continue with Swedish again! Can't wait.
Only thing i've been doing the past days is "water" my words on Memrise and read other
peoples logs. New update coming soon.

Edited by Kez on 20 February 2013 at 8:13am

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version