Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6696 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 9 of 91
30 December 2012 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
Good luck with your studies! I've just started learning Swedish recently so I'll definitely follow your log. If you find any interesting (and easy!) Swedish series/books/websites/music/anything, please share - I'm also looking for some interesting input. I've set up a thread on Swedish music - no idea how different our music preferences are (I was looking for something pretty specific) but "Cornelis vs. Riedel" is definitely worth trying.

Oh, and don't let your teachers convince you that you're bad at learning languages ever again! You've learned English, and you're perfectly capable of learning other languages, including German if you ever decide to go back to it. It's probably the learning methods of your teacher that just didn't do the trick. I consider myself quite good at learning languages, and I still remember a couple of language classes where I felt like an idiot most of the time. I'm pretty sure some of my teachers didn't have a good opinion on my language learning aptitude either ;). It doesn't even mean these teachers were bad (although that's true in same cases), it's their methods that were so incompatible with my strengths and my learning style.

Edited by Julie on 30 December 2012 at 7:36pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: Swedish

Message 10 of 91
31 December 2012 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
Thank you! I'm still a bit busy now but in 2 days I will be able to start making good Log
updates and I can start learning Swedish with all my energy again.

I've looked in the thread, wrote the names down and will surely check everything out, I
love discovering new music!

In my next log update I'll give some links of good series i'm watching, some websites I
use and some music I listen to.

But first it's time for NYE.

Gott nytt år!

Dagane
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4304 days ago

259 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishB2, Galician
Studies: German
Studies: Czech

Message 11 of 91
31 December 2012 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
Hi, Kez.

I read your log yesterday and your story impressed me. As you, I thought I was bad at languages because of my school experience. My worst marks were always in English and especially in French. Although I wasn't against the whole educational system, I think it's pretty bad designed for too many people. Beyond me, I have a close relative who left the school (I think because of the system). Nowadays he has a good job, has ended up the school and is finishing a degree. Don't let others discourage you.

As for your learning system, it's very interesting. There're different opinions about how quickly one can pick a language by immersion and by studying hard. You have chosen something inbetween, which is fairly interesting. I'll take notes in order to apply something similar once I am able to learn a national language in the country.

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 

Message 12 of 91
02 January 2013 at 1:37pm | IP Logged 
@Dagane Thanks for your post! And you're right, i'm doing a bit of a mix up between
different learning styles, i'll find out which way helps me the most in time. At the
moment I think it's important for me to just be surrounded by the language as much as
possible.

So! My holiday is over and i'm back to work, which also means that I'm back to fully
concentrate my free hours on Swedish aswell. I took it all a bit easy the past 2 weeks.
I had my Swedish family in law visiting me and I learned alot from that. It's good to
wake up and only hear Swedish at the breakfast table. After a while you get 'used' to
it.

I only realised how much I actually understood when a dutch friend came over for a
beer. My gf and her family were speaking Swedish to each other and I was listening.
Then I looked at him, and he stared back at me with pure confusion, he barely
understood anything and was amazed that I could keep up. Always nice to notice :)

And the TAC2013 has finally started! It's going to be an amazing year, really looking
forward to everything that is going to happen. In this log I will slowly build up to
the moment where I will actually move to Sweden.

Things I have done today:
- Repeat ~500 words on Memrise
- Read articles on a Swedish News website (8sidor) for an hour.

Things to do tonight:
- Speak Swedish 80% of the time at home
- Start reading in a new Swedish children book
- Do a bit of grammar from my course book
- Listen to Swedish music
- Watch 1 or 2 episodes from a small mini serie

This is my plan for the upcoming two weeks. Do a bit of everything each day. After that
I slowly want to start writing mini-stories to test myself. And have conversations
about some 'every-day' subjects with my girlfriend, so I get more advanced in that.

And some more great news, I'm probably going to visit Sweden for a week! We're planning
to go on Easter (or around Easter, depends when I can get a week off). So that means
i'll be going to the lovely Skellefteå again. So I only have a few months left to
impress my gf's friends en family with my progress in the Swedish language.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 

Message 13 of 91
09 January 2013 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
I haven't done much past week, not nearly as much as I wanted to do. And for the
upcoming month I won't get more time since I'm in the last month of uni and it's really
busy.

But I will still continue and do as much as I can. For the past week i've been watching
"Mysteriet på Grevenholm" on SVT.se, a serie for children but very good to follow if I
put subtitles on.

I've also started reading, I do ~10 pages a day now. It's not very much but it's a nice
training for me prenounciation (I read out loud and my girlfriend is listening and
correcting me when I make mistakes).

And I'm also repeating the course I made on Memrise every day. Which is around ~700
words.

I can't wait to be done with school and to be able to put way more time into learning
Swedish. I'm done in the 2nd week of Februari (if all goes well) and from then on i'm
going to challenge myself everyday.

For now, I will keep on watching the series, talk as much as I can & read ~10 pages a
day.

2 persons have voted this message useful

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4352 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 14 of 91
09 January 2013 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
Kez wrote:
I've also started reading, I do ~10 pages a day now. It's not very much but it's a nice training for me prenounciation (I read out loud and my girlfriend is listening and correcting me when I make mistakes).

Dang, I wish I had someone to correct my pronunciation as I read. As it stands, I'll have to trust my own ears and make do with the feedback I get on my recorded readings.

Sounds like you're maintaining a good pace. Let's both keep at it!

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6696 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 15 of 91
09 January 2013 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
And I wish I woke up and heard people speaking Swedish at the breakfast table (or any other foreign language, for that matter :)).

I also think you keep a good pace, despite all the other work you have to do. Oh, and thanks for pointng to the "Mysteriet på Grevenholm" movies, they are available in Poland as well and I think I'm gonna watch them.

Kez
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 4150 days ago

181 posts - 212 votes 

Message 16 of 91
09 January 2013 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
@sans-serif We will keep this pace up :) Having a swede listen to you when you read out
loud is indeed very usefull. Eventhough I don't understand 50% of what I read/say, I
still get used to the flow of the language. And when I'm lost in a sentence, I can ask
her to repeat it for me. She's my best learning source :P

@Julie Thanks! The week her family was her was great. I learned alot, and it got "easier"
to understand them at the end of the week.

Mysteriet på Grevenholm is quite good. It's a good understandable level of Swedish, and
that in combination with the subtitles makes it perfect for my level of Swedish. I keep
my notebook next to me when I watch it, and when I don't understand a word, I ask my gf
to translate it and I write it down and learn the words.

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version