Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 9 of 137
20 January 2013 at 5:24am | IP Logged 
Today, we had a 2-hour chat, mostly in Esperanto with some French and German thrown in for good
measure.

I hope to be able to try out some interpretation practice next time.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 10 of 137
21 January 2013 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
Pimsleur Romanian Experiment (2)

I have now finished Pimsleur Romanian's 10 units, which I believe is the basic course. I now know virtually nothing. There has been no mention of gender or cases and the only verb conjugations covered are 1st sing and 2nd plur persons of a handful of verbs (I'd be surprised if it was more than 6 or 7). The whole bit about people adding or removing fingers ad infinitum to get me to count was annoying -- oddly, they left out 6 and 7!!! -- and it was also annoying to hear the guy and the woman argue endlessly about what time they'd go for a beer and how she wasn't interested and he just wasn't getting it.

I did enjoy being able to listen on the bus or on the go when I couldn't have studied otherwise and it does make you concentrate on the pronunciation. I often wished I could see the words written as well, though. I think I would have remembered better.

The full course is said to have a total of 30 lessons and be "comprehensive". I doubt 3 times this material could be considered comprehensive anything. To finish, I'd have to buy 5 units at a time for $21.95, for about $100 with taxes for the rest of the course. I don't think I'll be buying them, but if my library had them, I would probably continue.

Edited by Arekkusu on 21 January 2013 at 9:24pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4446 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 11 of 137
21 January 2013 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Pimsleur Romanian Experiment (2)

I have now finished Pimsleur Romanian's 10 units, which I believe is the basic course. I now know virtually nothing. There has been no mention of gender or cases and the only verb conjugations covered are 1st sing and 2nd plur persons of a handful of verbs (I'd be surprised if it was more than 6 or 7). The whole bit about people adding or removing fingers ad infinitum to get me to count was annoying -- oddly, they left out 6 and 7!!! -- and it was also annoying to hear the guy and the woman argue endlessly about what time they'd go for a beer and how she wasn't interested and he just wasn't getting it.

That sounds much like my time with Pimsleur French, which was also my first exposure to learning the language, though I stopped before getting all the way through the course. Some people seem to really like Pimsleur but I found it rather frustrating.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 12 of 137
21 January 2013 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
Some people seem to really like Pimsleur but I found it rather frustrating.

Indeed, though I think it's worth doing at times when no other study is possible.

If anyone has any suggestions of what to do next with Romanian, I'm all ears.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6251 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 13 of 137
22 January 2013 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
I made the same experience with Pimsleur. Personally I cannot stand to listen to it. I
generally don't do well with audio-only methods because I zone out, but knowing that I'm
wasting my time learning only 5-6 words max in 30 minutes (some forum member counted all
words in 3 levels at one point), it becomes completely unbearable.

Quote:
If anyone has any suggestions of what to do next with Romanian, I'm all ears.

How'bout looking at some Assimil Romanian dialogs when you have time and then listening
to the audio dialogs on repeat while commuting? Romanian is similar enough that you
should be able to match the audio to the meaning once you've read over the translation a
few times.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 14 of 137
22 January 2013 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
And Romanian orthography is very logical to boot.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6251 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 15 of 137
23 January 2013 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
I just posted my week summary in my log. In a nutshell, I did well in terms of finding
time to read and watch videos in my target languages, and posting two long texts to lang-
8, but I need to do more towards my goal of having target-language conversations, and
I've fallen behind on Anki.

I'm seriously wondering whether I should participate in the February 6 Week Challenge. I
want to eventually try Thai this year, but right now I'm afraid that I might not give it
the focus it deserves, because I'm absorbed in Greek/Chinese and generally not in the
mood to do much "studying" studying. An alternative would be to attempt to reach reading
fluency in Portuguese or Swedish. Or just skip the 6 Week Challenge entirely this time...

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5162 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 

Message 16 of 137
23 January 2013 at 3:52pm | IP Logged 
I'm skipping it myself. I will still continue to work on pushing German to C1/C2, Esperanto into a stronger C1 and Japanese (mostly maintenance), and Romanian to a lesser degree (maybe to B1?), but I find the challenge cumbersome and sometimes stressful as I get a feeling of obligation from it that gets annoying.

This discussion contains 137 messages over 18 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version