Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC ’14: Sokoły / Соколи (Pol./Ukr. Team)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
151 messages over 19 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 ... 18 19 Next >>
vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4473 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 73 of 151
16 January 2014 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
I guess this is a good place to ask a question about Polish (?), or Slavic languages in general:

Is there a logic behind the prefix that marks the perfect aspect of verbs (when it's a prefix, of course)? I mean, are they predictable in any sense, or do they carry some semantic load, and awareness about this phenomenon would make it much easier to remember them?
1 person has voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4654 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 74 of 151
16 January 2014 at 10:26pm | IP Logged 
I haven't understood you :D Examples, please.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 75 of 151
16 January 2014 at 10:54pm | IP Logged 
Umm, pretty much all Slavic affixes carry a semantic load by default. But when the affix becomes a standard way of denoting aspect, the semantic load can be neutralized, sort of. Most verbs can take on many affixes, the key is knowing the default one to make this particular verb perfective.

I love the idea about facts etc!

fact #1: Jestem studentką, ale nie wiem, ile czasu jeszcze będę :/
Стипендія? Яка стипендія?

fact #2: "Jakie przyczepki? - Przyczepki EURO!" To był realny dialog w sklepie. Chciałam przypinki :D Coś takiego.

fact #3: Tylko teraz popatrzyłam, czym są przyczepki. Po rosyjsku прищепка (priszczepka) to klamerka.

more facts next time :P

Edited by Serpent on 16 January 2014 at 11:46pm

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4654 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 76 of 151
16 January 2014 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
I'll allow myself to correct you: "Jaką przyczepkę?" "Tylko (although more appropriate in this case would be "dopiero" or "właśnie"; with "tylko" here it would be like: "hmm, but now I see that it's a bit different than I thought. Well.../Eh...") teraz popatrzyłam, czym są przyczepki/czym jest przyczepka/co to są przyczepki/co to jest przyczepka"

Don't worry Serpent. You're better in grammar aspects than me. Такая жизнь...

Edited by prz_ on 17 January 2014 at 12:11am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 77 of 151
16 January 2014 at 11:30pm | IP Logged 
Well, I asked in the plural because I wanted to get as many different ones as possible for a friend who's collecting them :) I actually said something like przycepke, because I had seen the word przypinka but not really remembered it properly. By association with прицепить/прицеплять I came up with this :D

edit: no idea why i thought that the plural is przyczepke rather than -i. Latin influence I'm afraid XDDD
is it correct now? I'll be collecting the facts about me in my log :)
also ALWAYS feel free to correct me ♥ my goal for this year is basic fluency so corrections are always appropriate and welcome.

Edited by Serpent on 17 January 2014 at 12:02am

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6951 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 78 of 151
16 January 2014 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:
I guess this is a good place to ask a question about Polish (?), or Slavic languages in general:

Is there a logic behind the prefix that marks the perfect aspect of verbs (when it's a prefix, of course)? I mean, are they predictable in any sense, or do they carry some semantic load, and awareness about this phenomenon would make it much easier to remember them?

The short answer is that the prefix used to indicate change in aspect isn't totally predictable or determinable by considering the most common meaning of the prefix when it acts as a preposition. I basically resort to trying to memorize verbs in pairs. I sense that the apparent randomness of the prefix used in Slavonic verb derivation can be akin to ESL students dealing with the seeming randomness of phrasal or prepositional verbs

This phenomenon has bugged me enough that in October I changed my approach with Slovak after encountering a particularly frustrating set of exercises in my textbook where I was assigned to figure out the prefixed perfective counterparts of imperfective verbs on the strength of knowing the prefixes' most common meaning or sense when they act as prepositions. See here for more information. Since that time my study of Slovak has been restricted to finding the aspectual counterparts with prefixes by combing my Slovak-English dictionary and then consulting monolingual dictionaries. The most user-friendly information that I have found for the use of prefixes in creating perfective verbs is this sheet for Czech. Obviously it's not directly applicable to Polish or Ukrainian, but it does give some hints about the diversity of meanings or nuances that prefixed verbs have compared to their unprefixed counterparts.

Here're the introductory remarks from this paper that precede the numerous examples:

cokdybysme.net — Czech prefixes wrote:
Czech prefixes and their basic meanings
What are the basic meanings of do-, o-, od-, po-, pod-, pře-, před-, roz-, u-, v-, vy-, z-, za-?

Prefixes combine with Czech verbs to alter the basic meaning of the verbal root. In much the same way, many English verbs can take prepositions that will change the meaning of the verb: to go versus to go into, to go out of, to go through, to go around...

Sometimes prefixes combine directly with a verb without altering the verb’s form:
do+zpívat=dozpívat (to finish singing). In these cases, the resulting prefixed verb is perfective. To form an imperfective prefixed verb, the prefix combines with a base verb that often has an extended suffix: dohořet=dohořívat (to burn down). In this example, the imperfective hořet (to burn) has a derived imperfective in -hořívat.

Below is a non-exhaustive and alphabetical list of Czech prefixes along with some of the basic meanings that they have. The listed meanings are not unrelated to one another, but form a semantic network. Some prefixes have relatively straightforward semantic networks while others exhibit a more complicated interweaving of meanings. Many of the meanings are both literal (for example, a concrete and real movement like
going into a physical space) and metaphorical (movement into a metaphorical space like entering into a marriage).

Each prefix is accompanied by sentences that exemplify the basic meanings. Could you say which basic meaning is exemplified in each sentence? There’s usually a clear one for each sentence, but sometimes there may be overlap between meanings. For each example sentence, the unprefixed base verb (or sometimes root noun or adjective) is given as a point of reference

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4654 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 

Message 79 of 151
17 January 2014 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
Ok, now I think I get it. So yes, almost always they have some semantic sense. In fact I can't find any example when they don't. I can write more about it later, but for example po- means "ah, I will do it for some time" or "okay, I will dabble a bit and after an hour I'll go and watch baseball on TV". Of course there are some exceptions, especially put in the specific context: "muszę nad tym popracować" - it can mean that he or she has to work on it and maybe there would be reaaaally bad consequences if (s)he won't solve the problem.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 80 of 151
17 January 2014 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
"Tylko (although more appropriate in this case would be "dopiero" or "właśnie"; with "tylko" here it would be like: "hmm, but now I see that it's a bit different than I thought. Well.../Eh...") teraz popatrzyłam, czym są przyczepki
Hmm but that's what I meant :) I knew I had been wrong as soon as the guy said the word przypinka, but even when I started writing the facts I still thought I had asked for klamerki, which are also not normally merchandised :D

Basically, I said *przycepke, the guy said przyczepki, my mum asked why I was talking about прищепки in a souvenir shop. lol.

Edited by Serpent on 17 January 2014 at 1:33am

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version