Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC ’14: Sokoły / Соколи (Pol./Ukr. Team)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
151 messages over 19 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 18 19 Next >>
Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 25 of 151
16 December 2013 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
With two weeks left in the year, it seems that this team has a good chance to come into being for 2014, small as it is right now.

Should we indeed press on as a combined Polish-Ukrainian team or Ukrainian only?

How about suggestions for the team's name? A motto? Song even?
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 26 of 151
16 December 2013 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
Razem tworzymy przyszłość, of course :) There are many gorgeous graphics made for Euro-2012 :P
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 27 of 151
16 December 2013 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
@Chung:
I do not really have a vote, since I am just an observer - but I am in any event fine with both solutions -
Ukrainian only or in combination with Polish. I am here for the Ukrainian, but Polish is on my long term goal
list, and I am sure I could have a good time reading about your Polish efforts. As for the team motto I suspect
it means more to Serpent to have something football related than it means to me to avoid it. :-)

UKRAINIAN RESOURCES

What resources do you guys intend to use in Ukrainian, and which have you used and been satisfied with?

As I have said, I do not really intend to study Ukrainian this year - I just could not resist the siren call of this
team :-)   but I do have a few resources. If you know them and can give me any advice in case I against my
better judgement do decide to study Ukrainian, I would be very happy indeed.

Assimil - L'Ukranien Assimil is - well -Assimil. I have spent three years on Assimil Russian, without getting
past lesson 50. Let's hope that I at some point have more luck with Ukrainian. And that I get my act together
in Russian...

Teach Yourself complete Ukrainian - I glanced at the first page of lesson one and thought "oh c***, they have
vocative in Ukrainian, that's all I needed". I generally like TY. So if I start actually studying Ukrainian - which I
am not supposed to do :-) - this should be a good point of departure.

CD-ROM Talk more Ukrainian - beginners. This I should be able to go through in 2014. It is a comfortable
dabbling level.

Lonely Planet guidebook Ukraine - phrases at the end of the book - will glance at them.

Lonely Planet phrase book -Ukrainian - will look at them too, but phrase books do not usually do much for
me. I desperately need audio.

160 English Topics for discussion. Does not sound very Ukrainian? Did I forget to mention that the base
language is Ukrainian:-) I think this could actually be a quite useful tool for learning how to read as there are
texts in both languages. Totally useless for speaking though - no audio :-(

Oh - and I tried to set the extra keyboard in Ukrainian, but as the computer genius I am, I managed to change
the language of the whole iPad to Ukrainian instead. Really bright move. Fortunately I understood enough
Ukrainian through my halting Russian to change it back to English.

Українські традиції - An all Ukrainian book about -surprise surprise - Ukrainian traditions and folk art. I hope
I will be able to read it some time. When I was at the Ukrainian folk museum I found it really interesting - and
asked dozens of questions, so the old lady in one of the houses who first was really unfriendly, actually let us
go into parts of the house you were not supposed to step into, and kissed me on both cheeks before I left. I
have been a guide at the folk museum in Oslo, and lots of the objects and even the art was extremely similar.
I guess she was happy to meet someone who did not look like she was bored stiff. The American teenagers
in the group in front of us were to put it mildly not quite as enthusiastic as I was.

Сучасний російсько - український словник - Russian-Ukrainian dictionary. Somehow I suspect there are
not a lot of those in Norway...

And then I have a few films where I can chose the subtitles in Ukrainian.
3 persons have voted this message useful

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5143 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 28 of 151
17 December 2013 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
I'll also be here mainly for Ukrainian, but might have brief spurts of Polish and am always interested in it so I really don't mind how our team is constructed.

I'll leave others to suggest names and songs because my skills are too weak to do so, but as a fellow sports and football fan, I like anything sports related.

Today I bought my first Ukrainian resources - a Czech-Ukrainian pocket dictionary and a phrasebook. I've also ordered the Teach Yourself course which will hopefully be my main resource for the year.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4482 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 29 of 151
17 December 2013 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Assimil - L'Ukranien Assimil is - well -Assimil. I have spent three years on Assimil
Russian, without getting
past lesson 50. Let's hope that I at some point have more luck with Ukrainian. And that I
get my act together
in Russian...

Any particular reason you didn't get past there? Did you get stuck, or just not keep up?

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 30 of 151
17 December 2013 at 6:59pm | IP Logged 
Serpent, that's not a bad idea for a motto even though the Polish and Ukrainian versions aren't identical.

Razem tworzymy przyszłość "Together we'll create the future"
Творимо iсторiю разом "We'll make history together"

The Polish one has a slightly vague utopian/communist air for me :-P

When it comes to team names, how about Team Sokół / Cокiл? (Team Falcon)? My będziemy sokołami. / Ми будемо соколи. (We'll be the falcons).

This stems from the first song I learned from my Polish friends, Hej Sokoły ("Hey Falcons") which is set in Ukraine. It's about a cossack (representing the Ukrainian fighting man) or an uhlan (Polish cavalryman) who's about to leave Ukraine and the girl he loves.

Here's a Polish rendition (among many) and an Ukrainian rendition (also among many).

Solfrid Cristin, I'm relying on the following resources:

"Beginner's Ukrainian" (Shevchuk)
"Modern Ukrainian" (Humesky)
Ukrainian-English Dictionary (Andrusyshen et al.)
Ukrainian-English / English-Ukrainian Dictionary (Niniows'kyi)

... in addition to whatever sheets I get from my class and comic strips that I find on the internet. As you know, my log has many entries starting from the middle of last year about my progress with Ukrainian.

I have worked through "Teach Yourself Ukrainian" and it's not the worst in the series but it's not that great. The biggest problem is that it skimps on exercises in my view. A lesser problem is that not all of the dialogues or narratives are recorded on the CDs (this is especially noticeable in the second half of the book). On the other hand, the book is compact enough to carry comfortably in a handbag or laptop bag with other items, and its notes do cover about as much grammar as the larger "Beginner's Ukrainian".

There's also some other stuff for learning Ukrainian which I've noted in the Ukrainian Profile.

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4163 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 31 of 151
18 December 2013 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
As far as names go, I was actually just going to suggest Sokół / Cокiл. I had to learn that song during my Polish class. Like I said before, I'm pretty neutral on whether to keep it Ukrainian only or make it Polish/Ukrainian. I'll be doing both, but if I had the choice, I would really choose Ukrainian only.

Duan
Canada
Joined 4590 days ago

36 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish, French

Message 32 of 151
20 December 2013 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Hi there, as this seems to be the only team doing Polish for 2014, I'd like to sign up.

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version