Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC ’14: Sokoły / Соколи (Pol./Ukr. Team)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
151 messages over 19 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 18 19 Next >>
Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4164 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 17 of 151
12 December 2013 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
How comfortable are people other than Serpent and I (and maybe Fuenf_Katzen?) when it comes to writing an individual sentence in Polish and/or Ukrainian along the lines of "I see the car in the street" or "That's not a car. It's a truck." with the help of a dictionary and/or explanations from a book or online description of the relevant grammar?

I would be comfortable with that for Polish. For Ukrainian I should be okay with one-liners, although a dictionary might be necessary.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6951 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 18 of 151
12 December 2013 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
vermillon wrote:
I could surely do that, yes. Has anybody anywhere mentioned the idea of having a Polish-only team? Or even a Polish-Hungarian one (I know they're not related, but "Lengyel, magyar — két jó barát, együtt harcol s issza borát."..)?

A Polish team is up in the air per this post.

I guess that it's possible to turn this team into a Polish-Hungarian one, but the divergence between them is high enough such that it'd probably work if people there were committed to learning both languages and/or have enough intellectual interest in them even when studying just one of them at a given moment.

hribecek wrote:
I could in Polish, but it wouldn't be comfortable and it would have to be simple and I'd probably need a dictionary.

My Ukrainian is non-existant and my Cyrillic alphabet knowledge is also very weak, so no way.

Why?

As to why I'm asking about how well people can write in Polish and/or Ukrainian, it came to me after I had thought about how the few challenges in *jäŋe/*ledús fared. This despite the fact that I had mentioned that I'm not keen on leading challenges. It's similar to what I had proposed for the provisional Finnish team.

I'm not thinking of starting a team challenge per se, but for my idea to be effective, it would need all members to be familiar with the following at minimum:

i) Can recognize the present tense on sight, and can write a sentence with that tense with or without consulting a grammar book or conjugational chart.

ii) Knows all of the personal pronouns in nominative and accusative.

iii) Can write a sentence using the present tense of "to be" in the affirmative (e.g. Jestem mężczyzną / Я - чоловік - "I am a man") (This means that one would already likely have become familiar with the instrumental as a bonus).

iv) Can express possessive concepts in present tense (i.e. Ja mam książkę / Я маю книжку (У мене є книжка) "I have a book" and Moja książka jest nowa / Моя книжка - нова "My book is new")

v) Has some familiarity with the direct object (accusative and in a certain way the genitive) and locative. Mastery or being able to express these concepts grammatically on the first try is not necessary. It'll likely suffice to be able to recognize these forms in a sentence and/or construct a sentence using these cases after consulting reference material such as a declensional table.

Beginners usually encounter these topics in their studies because they are high frequency. I think that by the second half of the year, beginners on this team will be able to do i) to v) in at least one of these languages. In addition beginners would probably have sufficient vocabulary to string a few coherent sentences with confidence using the grammar that they've already learned. It follows that I wouldn't try out my idea until the second half of the year, if at all.

What do you think? It would be great if I can get everyone involved as what I'm thinking of doing could ease the beginners deeper into Polish and/or Ukrainian in a fun way while also build some team spirit.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4164 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 19 of 151
12 December 2013 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
I'm pretty proud of myself that I just recognized the sentences you wrote (okay, they're pretty basic, but still, it's nice to know something is sticking!) I think it sounds like a good idea to try for the second half of the year--and now that I finally discovered the Email notification box, I will see posts as they come! (Yes, it really did take me that long until I found it!)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 20 of 151
12 December 2013 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
I think *jäŋe/*ledús covers the Hungarian/Polish combination nicely :)

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6951 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 21 of 151
12 December 2013 at 4:47pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

I think that you meant jég/lód... ;-)

hribecek
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5144 days ago

1243 posts - 1458 votes 
Speaks: English*, Czech, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Polish, Slovak, Hungarian, Toki Pona, Russian

Message 22 of 151
12 December 2013 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

What do you think? It would be great if I can get everyone involved as what I'm thinking of doing could ease the beginners deeper into Polish and/or Ukrainian in a fun way while also build some team spirit.

I think any challenge like this is a great idea, I know it would motivate me for sure. Personally I'd be fine with it starting after a quarter of a year as it would increase my motivation to really work hard at the start.

minrina
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3793 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Studies: Korean, Polish

Message 23 of 151
14 December 2013 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
I'm thinking I'd like to join for Polish. Regarding Chung's question, I wouldn't be able to do that very easily at the
moment (I'm a complete beginner). However, I'm up for pushing myself to be as ready as possible whenever any
such challenge begins. Motivation!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 24 of 151
15 December 2013 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
Serpent wrote:

I think that you meant jég/lód... ;-)
Haha couldn't be bothered to look up the Hungarian word :P Anyway, I just mean that if one is interested in both it's probably better to join *jäŋe/*ledús :)

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version