Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

TAC ’14: Sokoły / Соколи (Pol./Ukr. Team)

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
151 messages over 19 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 18 19 Next >>
Chung
Diglot
Joined 6951 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 49 of 151
02 January 2014 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
Zaktualizowano
2 persons have voted this message useful

Duan
Canada
Joined 4591 days ago

36 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish, French

Message 50 of 151
03 January 2014 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
Hi there,

My log that includes Polish can be found here.
1 person has voted this message useful

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4841 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Sign Language, German, Spanish, French

Message 51 of 151
03 January 2014 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
Hi, Serpent. С новым годом!

I've been meaning to ask you about Ukrainian.
It's not really a priority for me as I'm mostly in planning stages...
My hope is to try and jump in reading it after as little study as possible.
I think that's also what you did... unless I'm mistaken?

I wanted to ask how much did you "study" it, and what/how, before you were able to jump into reading.
Specifically, I'm interested in your recommendations as a fellow Russian speaker, on what one needs to study before they can start reading.
Did you use EN-UA resources or RU-UA resources?
If you could mention any particularly good books, websites, or other resources.
Or if nothing stands out, just mention what you used?

Also, I've noticed you mentioned reading Sapkowsky earlier, so kudos on your SF tastes!
And while my dream of one day reading Sapkowsky or Lem in original Polish will have to be postponed until my other languages are more solid...
I did wonder if there's any good Ukrainian science fiction literature (similar to Sapkowsky/Lem) that you've read that you could recommend.
Ideally parallel texts (either Russian or English is fine) of SF written in original Ukrainian and easy/beginner material, but I won't be picky - doesn't have to be parallel, or SF, or even original UKR. Does anything stand out, anything spring to mind?

I'm very possibly misguided in my hoping to shave off a bunch of hours of studying Ukrainian by relying on my Russian. But I really hope that I am not. Did your Russian help you much?

While, I'm particularly interested in learning Ukrainian fast as a Russian speaker, I'm sure other English-native members of Sokoly might be interested too.

I know you and everyone will be busy in Russia with New Years and old New Years, and all the holidays, so I don't expect a prompt reply.

Cheers.

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4841 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 

Message 52 of 151
03 January 2014 at 11:12pm | IP Logged 
To the other members of Соколи:

Taking into consideration that most of you are more experienced than I at learning languages, and have other Slavic languages under your belts, I'm also very interested in any recommendations of how to best approach learning Ukrainian (or Polish).
I'm sure fellow Sokoły / Соколи members would be interested in your experiences as well.
Please share any techniques or resources that you deem worthy!

З Новим Роком! Szczęśliwego nowego roku!

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4966 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 53 of 151
04 January 2014 at 1:53am | IP Logged 
I can't promise that there will be a lot about Polish in it until later this year, but my log for 2014 can be found
here.

Życzę wszystkim z Was powodzenia w nowym roku!

Edited by Amerykanka on 04 January 2014 at 4:04pm

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6951 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 54 of 151
04 January 2014 at 6:24am | IP Logged 
s0fist wrote:
To the other members of Соколи:

Taking into consideration that most of you are more experienced than I at learning languages, and have other Slavic languages under your belts, I'm also very interested in any recommendations of how to best approach learning Ukrainian (or Polish).
I'm sure fellow Sokoły / Соколи members would be interested in your experiences as well.
Please share any techniques or resources that you deem worthy!

З Новим Роком! Szczęśliwego nowego roku!

See Solfrid Cristin's, hribecek's and my comments on what we have at our disposal of learning Ukrainian.

The Ukrainian profile has some information on what I've found difficult to figure out in Ukrainian, in addition to other resources. There's also some good discussion here and here when it comes to comparing Ukrainian and Russian grammar from a learner's point of view.
2 persons have voted this message useful

s0fist
Diglot
United States
Joined 4841 days ago

260 posts - 445 votes 

Message 55 of 151
04 January 2014 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:

See Solfrid Cristin's, hribecek's and my comments on what we have at our disposal of learning Ukrainian.

I've been following the thread and made note for myself to check out these resources in particular TY Ukr and Assimil Ukr. And, if I can find them easily, Shevchuk and Humesky as well. Obviously, Ukrainian is large enough that there's plenty of resources, which is why I'm fishing for recommendations to try and find the most promising ones first.

Chung wrote:

The Ukrainian profile has some information on what I've found difficult to figure out in Ukrainian, in addition to other resources. There's also some good discussion here and here when it comes to comparing Ukrainian and Russian grammar from a learner's point of view.

Thanks for the reminder! I completely forgot this forum has profiles for languages.
I'll check it out and those other 2 thread too.

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4925 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 56 of 151
04 January 2014 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
Dear Sokoły, I'll be in Warsaw next weekend. Any recommendations for a good bookstore? Does Empik still exist, and is it worth going there? What about Księgarnia Warszawa? I'm mostly interested in stocking up on books for young readers or trashy crime novels, are there any bookstores specializing in that kind of books? Any second hand bookshops or markets worth checking out? And where to go for język polski dla obcokrajowców stuff?

This discussion contains 151 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version