Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 105 of 145
14 October 2014 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
ok, I'm definitely in vacation mode from languages.
I will restart next week.
1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 106 of 145
17 October 2014 at 8:48am | IP Logged 
When I said that I was in vacation mode from languages it wasn't true.
Yes, I didn't do Assimil for Dutch. But I read and wrote and spoke in Dutch.
Then I saw a video of Steve Kaufmann that arrived in my mailbox.
He talked about the importance to fully focus for three months in a language and
having a break of three/six months where you can study another one and then coming
back, finding yourself just a little bit rusty but then with a more consolidated
knowledge.

I saw in my experience, with French, that the principle told by Steve applied to
myself too. I'm, also, in the end of a three month cycle with Dutch. During these
three months I worked really hard and I had fantastic results for a language that
seemed to be just overwhelming to me before. Now I can chat on Facebook with Dutch
friends in real time without checking google translate. I can partially understand
what people say in the street, while before it was just a stream of noise.

It seems therefore appropriate to me to have this break to consolidate what I learned
so far and start with a new challenge: Spanish. Like said before in this log, I have
already good passive understanding of Spanish due to similarity with Italian, making
possible to me to already use the language by reading newspapers like 'El Pais', books
like 'La sombra del viento' or watching movies (I watched 'La lengua de las
mariposas'. But I never studied Spanish (Castellano) seriously.
I'm lucky because I can already enjoy the funny and rewarding part of the language so
I can have a lot of fun watching series, movies, reading books and not just doing
formal study (but I will do formal study as well, I will be super formal on this),
allowing me to study more with less strain. Oh, since one of my hobbies is singing, I
will also immediately start singing in Spanish!

And Dutch? I still want to learn it of course! And I'm surrounded by Dutch. I will
continue speaking a little, reading some cheesy teenager novel and most of all my
collection of Donald Dutch comics.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 107 of 145
20 October 2014 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
And so, I started studying Spanish actively.
Tv series, movies, newspapers, books, youtube channels, I plan to use intensively native resources. I'll also use
podcasts aimed to learners (Notes in Spanish and Spanish101) to get explanation about colloquial words and
expressions. And to glue everything together, also a grammar book (Gramatica del uso del español B1-B2, that I
ordered today) aimed to intermediate learners. And skype session as soon as I can express myself a little.
This is going to be a lot of fun and I'm really excited about it.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 108 of 145
20 October 2014 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
And so, I started studying Spanish actively.
Tv series, movies, newspapers, books, youtube channels, I plan to use intensively native resources. I'll also use
podcasts aimed to learners (Notes in Spanish and Spanish101) to get explanation about colloquial words and
expressions. And to glue everything together, also a grammar book (Gramatica del uso del español B1-B2, that I
ordered today) aimed to intermediate learners. And skype sessions as soon as I can express myself a little.
This is going to be a lot of fun and I'm really excited about it.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 109 of 145
22 October 2014 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
Ok, that's amazing. I can study Spanish for endless time without feeling any strain.
In two days I went through the first 27 lessons of SpanishPod101 Beginner Season 1 (skipping the grammar
explanations because I'll study it from the book), and the first 11 episodes of Notes in Intermediate Spanish that I
find very nice.
And there is amazing music and beautiful movies (just targeting Spain). And books. I'm in love with Spanish.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 110 of 145
27 October 2014 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
What happens here.
Briefly, I'm embracing Spanish. I'm listening Spanish podcasts, reading La Sombra del Viento and El País, watching
stuff in Spanish, listening a lot of Spanish music. I also started to go to masses in Spanish (I'm lucky that there is a
church in this city that has a weekly Spanish celebration - that also means my return to the church after two years).

I also started to mess up with Latin. I had more "no way!" moments in one hour than in one year. I had a good five
minutes with me "wtf! that's why this is said in this way! what!? also this! heeey how I never noticed that! no way,
wtf!".
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4010 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 111 of 145
29 October 2014 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
Ehilà, what are you using for Latin?

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 112 of 145
29 October 2014 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
Hi!
I'm using my usual building understanding first, grammar after method.
So right now I'm using Lingua Latina per se Illustrata. It is entirely written in Latin
and it's very useful to start reading Latin without having to formally study all the
grammar, being the grammar taught in an inductive way.
I plan to go really fast inside this book (and maybe the second one) and then starting
studying grammar formally (I plan to use Wheelock's Latin).

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 145 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version