Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 41 of 145
04 March 2014 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
Update
- Mandarin: I'm going with the really slow rhythm of 100 characters per month. It would be a lot better to keep a
rhythm of 300 per month. This month I have to do better!
- Persian: It's going well now, but I have to make a choice about how to proceed because my impression is that I can
achieve more studying less.
- French: no particular problems, in the class courses I'm probably one with the best pronunciation and fluency
while talking but my in written French I'm not doing particularly well. I have to study the grammar in order to
remember the spelling of the various conjugations!

1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 42 of 145
07 March 2014 at 7:13pm | IP Logged 
Update

French:
This month I have the French test to access the B1 level course. I'm really confident and I have to say that thanks to
all the advices I read on this forum I improved quicker then my classmates. I managed to go to lunch and having a
technical conversation in French with a Moroccan colleague of mine and his Belgian manager, I'm really happy!
Therefore I asked my French colleague working from France to start using French to work together after Easter. I
hope I will manage to do it and to bring definitely this language as part of my everyday life just as Italian and
English! When this will happen I'll probably start German ;)

Persian:
I decided I'll keep learning the language from a spoken perspective. My plan is now to go through all the episodes of
Chai and Conversation, this is definitely working not enough for learning vocabulary (but I'll recover using Assimil
for that) but a lot for keeping myself motivated (this language is LOVELY) and assimilate the sound of this beautiful
language. Then I will go through the entire Assimil, after I will start with native resources most probably.

Mandarin:
better than from the last update, but still not enough. I'm seriously thinking to study Mandarin for the next 6 week
challenge. I decided at the beginning of the year to not study the spoken form for the whole year. I probably took
the dumbest decision ever. I have to say that I'm really afraid to take the wrong approach to the language and make
it impossible to learn properly, this is why I've taken this choice this conservative. From my past learning activities
what I've found is that the most functional activities for me are
- learning by listening (context, sentence in target language first, translation in English afterwards, commands in
target language at the very first steps and pure listening 75% natural speed with explanations in target language
when intermediate, 100% natural speed with no explanations at all when advanced)
- studying the grammar and doing drills (I love rules)
In my case with Mandarin I cannot do the second since I don't know enough characters but I would really can start
implementing the first one if I found a good resource for that.

Portuguese:
WHAT??? WAIT A MINUTE! Portuguese? How comes??? Since when? You never cared in your life about Portuguese!!!
Yes it's true. Indeed I don't really think I'm serious about it. I don't even consider it as a target language. But for
some reason in the last two days I started listening to a nice podcast of Brazilian Portuguese. I don't know why, I'm
not even drunk :D Let's see what happens. But this is not me :P

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4663 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 43 of 145
07 March 2014 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
For Mandarin, I recommend that you watch some TV. Some of the historical series are fairly good, things like the popular Bu Bu Jing Xin. Maybe some of the Mandarin learners have more recommendations. The great thing is that you can casually get used to the sound of spoken Chinese and if you like you can look at the Chinese subtitles (all series have them) and see if you recognise any characters. It's a pleasant way of getting used to hearing the tones and maybe you'll even make some connections with characters you know and their sounds.

drygramul
Tetraglot
Italy
Joined 4263 days ago

165 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: Persian, Italian*, EnglishC2, GermanB2
Studies: French, Polish

Message 44 of 145
07 March 2014 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
Dorod bar Shoma

I couldn't help noticing this quote from the other thread, but as it was off-topic there, I thought of asking you here
tristano wrote:

- Persian: good enough command of friendly communication, being able to read the poetry

Isn't the ability to read Persian poetry even harder than native-like fluency? I am just curious as how you'd manage to bypass what stands between conversational Persian and poetry reading and understanding. That looks quite complicated to me.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 45 of 145
08 March 2014 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
Hi, I finish answering tomorrow that I'm crazy falling asleep...
but to answer you @drygramul, yes and no.
- yes if want to understand any subtlety and writing essays on that compared to ask friends how it goes and if
they're happy with the weather
- no if I want to understand the general meaning of texts compared to talk about the social implications of the
economical crisis in post cultural decadence of the evolution of the pre-germanic post imperialism while drinking a
random beer or substitute of it.

Maybe I'll simply be able to talk confidentially but not to understand poetry.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 46 of 145
09 March 2014 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
After some tomorrow I answer :D
I watched the first episode of Bu bu jing xin. It doesn't resemble anything I've ever seen in my life! Thank you for the
advice :)

-

Just a little update.
I am quite confident that I'm not serious with Portuguese.
The problem is that now I made the mistake to start Duolinguo with German and it's really addictive. Dammit!

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 47 of 145
11 March 2014 at 11:56am | IP Logged 
What happens here around: I started German as a target language.
I need more than ever to start logging, planning and optimizing. Also, a little change in
my dayly routine (= I go to work by bike and not anymore with the tram) require me to
change the way I'm studying Persian. Therefore I'll start working solely with Assimil as
routine work. Due to my really near French exam I'll stop studying Mandarin and Persian
for two weeks (with Mandarin I'll just review the characters learned so far with Anki).

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 48 of 145
25 March 2014 at 10:14pm | IP Logged 
Dammit, I wrote a log and something went wrong and I lost the content.
So, since I'm lazy to rewrite all I will put a brief summary.

- German: Duolingo. good
- Persian: Assimil. good
- French: did A2 exam. hope is good
- Mandarin: 5 or 10 hanzi per day. good

This discussion contains 145 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version