Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 49 of 145
27 March 2014 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
News: I passed the french exam :)
I can subscribe for the B1 course. Can't wait :)
1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 50 of 145
27 March 2014 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
Other random news:
I discovered Memrise, and I found it to be a really good resource to learn vocabulary. It is very effective and really
simple to use, with great content. I find it more fun than anki.
I need approximately 10 minutes for four "lessons", around 15-20 words. That allows me to dedicate a small
established time for every language to increase vocabulary that usually is one of the more boring parts (at least for
me).

So, for two of my four languages I have a coverage with Memrise + Duolingo:
- German
- French

For Mandarin, I can rely to Memrise only since I'm only learning the written part for this year.
For Persian, there is something on Memrise but I don't understand how should I able to write Persian characters if
doesn't appear a persian keyboard on the screen... so since now, nothing useful.
But I rely for the moment to Assimil + anki for Persian.

The time needed (approximately) for my studies are 20 minutes per language (but 10 for mandarin, a total of 70
minutes everyday. Of course there is no way that I can guarantee this amount of work everyday.
On top of that, I absolutely need to start a spoken course for German, I'm not sure if FSI or Pimsleur. (EDIT: most
probably FSI) I should do also the same with Persian (FSI or DLI)...
On urgency side, German is much more urgent than Persian, so it is a priority for me.
Let's say from the most urgent to the less urgent:
- German (I feel the need to learn it the fastest I can, for work related reason. Germany and Austria are two great
places to work and to live and in general the best countries to work for me speak all Germanic languages, plus like
French is very important in european organizations)
- French (I'm also following classes so I can relax a bit with the self study and I'm already intermediate so I'm able to
use native resources that makes it more fun)
- Persian (I love it but having less high quality resources than the others makes it more difficult to learn rapidly)
- Mandarin (Long long journey. It doesn't make sense to hurry up)

Edited by tristano on 27 March 2014 at 8:54pm

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 51 of 145
02 April 2014 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
I'm constantly receiving good feedbacks for my French by French people, especially for
the pronunciation :) :)
I'm really proud of this!

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4663 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 52 of 145
02 April 2014 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations on passing your exam!

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 53 of 145
06 April 2014 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Thanks! :)

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 54 of 145
07 April 2014 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
So!
I changed my mind (another time). Oh, and I decided to restart studying Dutch! Team
Oranje, I'm newly an orange soldier! =)

I read in the last days the Bakunin's amazingly inspiring Turkish log (http://how-to-
learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38217&PN=1& TPN=1 I advice anyone to
read it).

His method is all about absorbing the language through comprehensible input before
activate it: the grammar study and the spoken part are postponed at when there is a
good understanding of the language. It is actually much much more (read it to
believe!), but for my purposes since I'm not starting from scratch I will use a
different approach.

With English and French, my best languages, I indeed learnt in a similar way: I studied
a little grammar but made most of my language building from comprehensible input.

So, while I will continue using duolingo and memrise with French (plus group classes
and conversations with my french speaking colleagues), I will do something different
for dutch, German and persian:
- I use the dutch method for assimil ( http://languagegeek.net/2010/05/12/how-to-use-
an-assimil-course/) with assimil and other methods that provide both the target
language text plus English or french translation (I have to explore and discover which
ones, living language and colloquial can be candidates but maybe there are better
options depending on the language) to build coprehension of written and spoken language
- I use also native resources (for example, I have a beautiful collection of Donald
Duck's comics for Dutch, plus a couple of novels, I will find something for German
while I will wait for French to when I'm more used to read the arabic script) to build
the written language plus I will watch youtube videos for the spoken language. I will
learn vocabulary without looking up the words in this case.
- plus memrise - but not for persian.

For Mandarin, I stick to study only charachters and some word with anki and memrise.
I'm not in a hurry.

I'm still looking for an identity as language learner, this is clear when reading my
posts :D But this fail-succeed method was successfully with me in other fields. It is
about not the magic formula but the formula that fits me better.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 55 of 145
08 April 2014 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
Just realised that I am in the Netherlands... En ik heb televise!!! Ik heb youtube videos niet nodig
om te gebruiken maar kan ik telefilms zien! Mooi :) (yes my Dutch grammar sucks, I will learn it.)

I also realised that although I studied a lot more Dutch than German I already understand German better than
Dutch. wth :D

Edited by tristano on 08 April 2014 at 7:34pm

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 56 of 145
12 April 2014 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
I'm beta testing the multi Germanic input by doing the same work with Assimil and Memrise also with Danish,
Norwegian and Swedish. The targets remain Dutch and German. The idea is that if I can boost my ability to
understand unclear input by having interiorised a major variety of more or less close cognates thanks to shared
vocabulary and structures, then becomes easier the guessing process. My abilities to understand spoken German and
(but still less) Dutch are increasing positively thanks to my daily work with those two languages. Today my singing
teacher gave me a German aria to study for the first time (since now only Italian!), fantastic :D

This discussion contains 145 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version