Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 137 of 145
08 December 2014 at 11:08am | IP Logged 
Ok, I'm proud to say that I listened to all the Notes in Spanish podcasts (except the
Beginner). I finished my first cycle with Spanish. The second one will be to finish the
book Gramatica del uso del Espanol B1/B2. Now I feel the need to change focus (Lithuanian
is a background thing, but it is not a priority).

It is the moment to come back to my Dutch studies. I'm sure that the frustration I
cumulated will disappear as soon as I will be able to express myself freely.
I will go through the Assimil course (just the new one) and I will use Bliu Bliu to
exercise reading.

I need to definetely postpone Russian. I have no space for another target language now.
1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 138 of 145
10 December 2014 at 8:17am | IP Logged 
It's very nice to notice then even in the period I didn't studied Dutch I continued to learn Dutch anyway, don't know
if it is for the exposure or for knowledge stabilization.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 139 of 145
11 December 2014 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
Just done my French final exam for the B1.2. I finished one hour in advance.
Honestly I haven't done a brilliant written production (unsurprisingly, seen my total lack of exercise in this skill).

Edited by tristano on 12 December 2014 at 7:36pm

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 140 of 145
12 December 2014 at 7:44pm | IP Logged 
Dutch: I'm taming the beast.
Spanish: I'm not doing anything.
French: more or less like Spanish, but I'm more exposed and I follow the courses. Oh, Spanish will come back with
more serious studies soon.
Lithuanian: I'm going very slowly (and who does need to run?).

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 141 of 145
12 December 2014 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
well, I terminated the 6 weeks challenge.
my original goal, quite improbable, was consisting in 80 hours of Spanish.
Instead, I did 28h of Spanish, 15 of French, 12 of Dutch and an incredible 15 minutes of Latin (... yes I abandoned
that project almost immediately).
This for a total of almost 56 hours of study, that, considering that I work full time and there are days in which I don't
study at all, it's not that bad.

The effect of this 6 weeks challenge: improvements in French and Dutch and from only understanding Spanish now I
can also speak a little. I have to say, not as big as the effects of my 40 hours of study of Dutch the previous 6wc.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 142 of 145
17 December 2014 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
Actually inspired by @tarvos's post on his log, I think it is the right time to do a review of this year, in order to close
this log and open a new one for the 2015.

Overview: I did a lot. Mostly in the wrong direction. I learned how not to learn a language. I studied consistently
three languages, I dabbled with many more.

The ones I can already speak:
English
Still my best foreign language, despite the very few study I made on it. I'm more confident then before, but active
vocabulary and grammar still suffer. More or less B2. I will probably study something in the 2015; not sure about it
anyway.

French
I studied a little bit of French in the Middle school, then 18 years of nothing. I started A1, now I'm B1. I will study
this language also in the 2015.

The ones I can more or less speak

Spanish
I studied consistently Spanish for a couple of months or something less. I can already go to Spain and talk to people,
but thank you to the close relation to Italian. I think I'm something like (maybe a little less than) A2 in active and B2
in passive skills. I love this language and I will for sure study it also in the 2015.

Dutch
Joy and pain. I need to learn this language to improve my experience in The Netherlands (both personal and career
wise). I started A0+, now I'm somewhere around A2. I will definitely study this language in the 2015.

The ones I started but dropped

German
I will wait to reach a good level in Dutch before to start again this language. Not a priority in the 2015.

Norwegian
I will probably study just one Scandinavian language (other than Icelandic). Unless I would move in Norway or
Denmark, this language will probably be Swedish. None of those languages are a priority in the 2015.

Mandarin
Too much demanding. I don't feel ready yet. Not a priority for the 2015.

Icelandic
A little bit like Mandarin. Maybe less demanding, but for sure less useful. But still a very fascinating language that I
would like to learn (passively is enough unless I will move in Iceland).

Persian
One of the most beautiful languages. I wasn't ready when I start with it. Not a priority in the 2015 but I don't
exclude to study it at a certain point of the year.

Toki Pona
Had some fun, but that's it.

Also I started to study Lithuanian. It is not a priority in the 2015 but I didn't stop to study it. I will figure out
what to do with this language. For sure, it is a very fascinating one.

Languages that I would like to start in the 2015:

Russian
This is a huge one. I'm delaying in order to start more accomplished in my top 3 languages in priority (Dutch, French
and Spanish).

Then there is a huge list of languages but I will figure it out at that point. Two of the languages I'm being fascinated
by right now are Turkish and Hungarian, but I might end up doing something totally different or pickin one between
Persian, Swedish and Icelandic. Let's see.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 143 of 145
17 December 2014 at 7:39am | IP Logged 
tristano wrote:
English
Still my best foreign language, despite the very few study I made on it. I'm more confident then before, but active vocabulary and grammar still suffer. More or less B2. I will probably study something in the 2015; not sure about it anyway.

Have you considered lang-8? It feels like you would benefit from it, especially as you're not at the stage where writing every single sentence is hard. You can express pretty much anything, so this should be a stress-free way to improve your accuracy and style.
(No offence meant, of course. I'm not saying my English is perfect.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 

Message 144 of 145
18 December 2014 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
Hi @Serpent,
   no offense at all! It is actually a good advice (I'm testing it these days).
I never learnt English formally and this is clearly visible when I wrote text even though
I write with the autopilot.

It is also a very useful resource for every language (provided there are enough
subscribed native speakers).

This discussion contains 145 messages over 19 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version