Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3871 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 121 of 161
18 November 2014 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
hat vs ist: verbs for movement or change of state = ist; all others hat.
Ich bin gelaufen.
Ich bin geboren.
Ich habe gelesen.
Ich habe gegessen.

Also, all verbs which end in ieren become iert in past part (no ge-)
Ich habe telefoniert.

The "regular" verbs just add ge+t (irregular verbs nur ge):
Ich habe gespielt.
Ich habe gelesen.

For seperable verbs, the ge goes in between prefix+main verb.
Ich bin angekommen.
For verbs with non-separable prefixes, there is no ge (AFAIK).
Ich habe unterschrieben.

Boom, done, pretty much all there is to know about PP.

Edited by Gemuse on 18 November 2014 at 10:01pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4322 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 122 of 161
18 November 2014 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
I was actually going to Prague next weekend, but we had to cancel the trip because my wife has been ill. Hopefully we'll make it in the next year. There is a really cool looking photography exhibit on at the moment:

http://www.zeit.de/zeit-magazin/leben/2014-10/israel-palaest ina-this-place-fotografie-jeff-wall-wendy-ewald-thomas-strut h

The demonstration for freedom is important. I remember years ago, visiting the office of NGO/publisher in London (1986?) and the editor showing me samizdat of books that had been typed out and passed around Prague. Nowadays these things are historical documents I guess, but then it was something very real and powerful.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 123 of 161
18 November 2014 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Gemuse. I already made parts of this together but even a native German teacher
teaching me two years ago was more than reluctant to confirm or deny my theories so I
have been less confident about it ever since. Perfekt is one of my current roadblocks
and I am looking forward to overcoming the "obstacle". It is fun as well and I like
it. It is useful and I think it is worth all the time put in.

Patrickwilken, come, it is an awesome place for a visit and so close. Sure, we cannot
offer a beach by the sea or anything like that but there is a lot to get to know.
Prague is not Paris or London but it is a great place for a weekend or more.

The demostration was important no matter what some media say. We do not naively
picture ourselves as the ones to continue the velvet this way, no. This was a more
than minor issue compared to what was happening 25 years ago, really nothing. Yet how
could we at the same time commemorate this anniversary and be silent or even applaud
while the president-pig soils it all?

Yes, it was surely very powerful as more reliable people say. Zeman tries to make it
all look very trivial and keep the czechs in self loathing and guilt of not having
enough courage but it wasn't so. As was said yesterday, the communists here had
destroyed things that kept part of other nations alive (religion in Poland, small
family enterprises in the East Germany etc.) after the occupation of 1968. So the
starting position was worse than there. And the communists would have had stayed at
the power even more than this way (this way many of them just switched the colors).
Yes, Czechs are not a nation of heroes, they were not the first to get rid of the
totality yet they gathered up courage and risked a lot to make things as good as
possible. Not everything turned out great but we still do have what to be proud of.

It hurt me to hear tweets and other messages from Ukraine "How many more times do the
Czechs need to be occupied?" so now the world knows we are not united behind Zeman.

Thanks for the exhibit tip.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 124 of 161
24 November 2014 at 1:08pm | IP Logged 
Some news:

German: Too little time put in during the last few days but I've got a free afternoon
now to devote to it. My main progress now is in Assimil (the newer, Spanish one),
where I am at lesson 26. It is getting more dense so I can't progress so rapidly even
though there haven't been many new things for me so far.

French: My tutor (after a question about it from another student with whom we had a
nice conversation nearly two weeks ago) proposed I should try DALF C2. Well, my only
reason to hesitate is my writing. I am getting better but I still don't feel as free
as in English and I need to work more on those resumes, compte rendus and so on.

ASCR: Finished a book!
French books +5,5 La Malerune 3: La Belle Arcane by Michel Robert and Pierre Grimbert
I loved this trilogy. It follows the basis of the genre but is quite original, doesn't
let you guess everything from the beginning (which is a usual trouble), the world
isn't an xth copy of Tolkien and so on. The characters made me laugh, empathise with
them, fear for them. But, there wasn't much of the fear, Robert is no Martin, main
characters don't die.

P.S. My boyfriend is now more open to watching things with me in English. I am looking
forward to him understanding as fine as I do so that we can watch movies easily
together. I don't have the ambition to drag him into other languages (he wouldn't let
me but we've exchanged a few sentences in German and he was showing me off at his
family reunion like "say something in French" :D ), but this appears to be possible.
And I taught him basics of chess so we are playing together. But no worries, I am
being affected as well, it is not a one sided tyranny ;-)

Really, how do you do it? Having a non language nerd partner? I think it is a little
bit more difficult for a girl. Whenever we are adressed by foreigners, here or abroad,
they adress him first. I think it is because of a traditional feelings surviving even
in europeans that the man is more likely to know the answer, to order in a restarurant
for both and so on. It is even more funny with my father becuase everyone adresses
him, as the obvious head of the family, but he is monoglot.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4322 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 125 of 161
24 November 2014 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:

My simple grammar described it as Verbs involving a change in position or condition which can't take a direct object (e.g., kommen, folgen, fahren, wachsen, sterben, verschwinden).

PLUS some random verbs like sein, bleiben, werden, gelingen, geschehen.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4322 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 126 of 161
24 November 2014 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
[QUOTE=Gemuse]

My simple grammar described it as Verbs involving a change in position or condition which can't take a direct object (e.g., kommen, folgen, fahren, wachsen, sterben, verschwinden). PLUS some random verbs like sein, bleiben, werden, gelingen, geschehen.[/

It's cool that your bf is watching English movies with you. I was shocked to find out one of my wife's colleagues (a professor, who writes papers in English and had 10 years of English schooling) can't watch movies without German subtitles.

I have to admit for a long time I had trouble following German TV with my wife until I started wearing headphones. I am not sure what it was but something about the speakers muffled the sound sufficiently to make it harder to hear. I never had this problem going to a cinema though. Now that my German is better it's not really an issue.

ijsn
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 3533 days ago

12 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: Spanish

Message 127 of 161
27 November 2014 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
Cavesa, congratulations for being such a focused learner. You will achieve big things with your determination.

I feel bad for myself for not being like that. I would like to achieve a very solid C1 in English but I can't manage to study even for 15 minutes every day.

With all the experience that you've accumulated in all of these years, and if you were starting from scratch, how long do you think it would take you to achieve your current french level? What about C1? From what I've read in this log, you are way above that.

Keep up!

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4798 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 128 of 161
01 December 2014 at 1:04pm | IP Logged 
ijsn, thanks for your kind words. Well, I wish I was more focused. I have time to
squeeze a few hours of German into every day now but I am easily distracted, most
often by my awesome boyfriend, but by other things as well. I have only about 9 hours
in 6wc, but they were well spent and I plan to get at least to twenty until the end of
the challenge.

There is no need to feel bad, there are various paths to success and not giving up
despite troubles, that is the key. 15 minutes a day are still not negligeable.

It would take much less. I've been learning French with all the restarts (sometimes
forced), breaks and so on for 15 years. If I were to restart, I think 2 or 3 years
would suffice.

Patrick, I am so excited about the possibility to watch something in German. I may not
be ready but I think I won't resist to at least try at the end of the 6wc.

Patrick + Gemuse: Thanks. Those are pretty simple explanations but I'll need some time
to internalize everything. I think the huge jump upwards will come with first books
I'll read. I still wonder why that native teacher in Berlin a few years ago hesitated
and denied the rule when I directly asked about it.

So, what I've been up to:

GERMAN:

-got back to anki and I've decided to beat the huge beast of due cards before the 6wc
ends. The vocabulary is being a roadblock when it comes to Themen Aktuell which I'd
like to finally finish.

-Assimil (the Spanish, paper one) is awesome. I am more and more excited whenever a
resource is easy to fit in my bag and use without struggle in a tram. Currently at
lesson 34.

-grammar: I am falling behind my plan but I'm gonna change it today. But I am getting
some nice graded input from Assimil which works nicely for my grammar as well. I think
their approach is reinforcing my knowledge nicely.

FRENCH:

-having classes with a tutor does have positive and negative effects:

pros:
-I am no longer nervous about my speech not being enough for the DALF. I am even
considering DALF C2. My mistakes are being corrected but there aren't that many of
them.
-I am getting feedback on my writing. There are usually a few stupid mistakes (no
matter the language, I am losing focus at the ends of words and making stupid mistakes
just because of being already concerned with the next sentence. I need to "slow
down"), there are two or three sentences which are not exactly wrong (well, one of
them usually is weird) but not exactly natural so I am learning ways to better express
myself, which is priceless. I am as well feeling more free due to the regular practice

cons:
-I am totally guilty of subconscious "class suffices" mentality. I am putting in much
less time on my own than I should.
-My tutor, despite being educated and having prepared people for exams, hasn't told me
much about the proper resume, compte rendus and syntheses. So I have already found out
on my own and need to write a few and get as much feedback as possible either from him
or from anywhere else.

But I found a nice book sabout exactly those writing genres, with exemples and
exercises, so I hope to get better on my own. I have a copy in my computer and there
is one in the library.

ASCR: +1 movie: 4 episodes of Hero Corp.
I like the series. At first, the parody appeared a little bit stupid and weird but I
grew to like it. There are still two or three characters whose speech is not easy for
me, which is a great thing, it is new space for my growth.

This discussion contains 161 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version