Diglot
Germany
Joined 5119 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 65 of 126
03 September 2014 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
To clarify, in the original sentence, we have two verbs around zu (eingeschlafen zu sein) only because of the past tense?
In the present tense it would be: Der Mann scheint einzuschlafen.

To repeat myself, in this sentence, "eingeschlafen" is an adjective derived from the past participle.

present tense: Der Mann scheint eingeschlafen zu sein.
past tense: Der Mann schien eingeschlafen zu sein.

Gemuse wrote:

If you wanted to use a verb, you'd have to say:

present tense: Der Mann scheint zu schlafen.
past tense: Der Mann schien zu schlafen.

You could theoretically use "Der Mann scheint einzuschlafen." to refer to a man who is about to fall asleep, but I seriously doubt that any native speaker would use this construction. Native speakers would rather use "Der Mann schläft gleich ein."
2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4643 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 66 of 126
03 September 2014 at 1:20pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
Gemuse wrote:
To clarify, in the original sentence, we have two verbs around zu (eingeschlafen zu sein) only because of the past tense?

To repeat myself, in this sentence, "eingeschlafen" is an adjective derived from the past participle.

IMHO this is the past participle! The whole construction ("eingeschlafen zu sein") is sometimes called Infinitiv Perfekt and consists of the infinitive of the auxilliary plus the past participle of the main verb. This especially makes sense if we use a verb that takes "haben" for the formation of the Perfekt: "Der Mann scheint gegessen zu haben." I've never heard of any adjective that is used with "haben".

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5119 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 67 of 126
03 September 2014 at 2:52pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
IMHO this is the past participle! The whole construction ("eingeschlafen zu sein") is sometimes called Infinitiv Perfekt and consists of the infinitive of the auxilliary plus the past participle of the main verb.

I disagree. Though "eingeschlafen zu sein" is technically, of course, an "Infinitiv Perfekt" construction, it functions more like an adjective in this sentence. You can easily test this assumption with an "Ersatzprobe" (substitution test).

The same test would fail with your example sentence "Der Mann scheint gegessen zu haben." because you'd be hard-pressed finding an adjective that could take the place of "gegessen" in this particular sentence.
1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4643 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 68 of 126
03 September 2014 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
I disagree. Though "eingeschlafen zu sein" is technically, of course, an "Infinitiv Perfekt" construction, it functions more like an adjective in this sentence. You can easily test this assumption with an "Ersatzprobe" (substitution test).

Sorry, but this doesn't convince me. If we change the construction and simply say: "Der Mann ist eingeschlafen", we get a normal Perfekt sentence with a participle. Why should "eingeschlafen" magically change from a participle to an adjective if we change the construction?

Let's ask for "eingeschlafen" in the sentence: Would you say "Wie scheint der Mann zu sein?" or "Was scheint der Mann zu sein?"? Personally, I'd prefer the latter question, which indicates a verb and not an adjective.

Moreover, a participle is by definition a verbal adjective, so saying "eingeschlafen" is a participle in the function of an adjective seems to be a little bit redundant to me.

Quote:
The same test would fail with your example sentence "Der Mann scheint gegessen zu haben." because you'd be hard-pressed finding an adjective that could take the place of "gegessen" in this particular sentence.

Yes, but for the reasons that I mentioned (haben-Perfekt vs. sein-Perfekt) and not because "eingeschlafen" belongs to a different word class than "gegessen".

Edited by Josquin on 03 September 2014 at 3:41pm

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3881 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 69 of 126
04 September 2014 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
A super simple question:
What is the logic behind nicht-nichts in
1. Das geht nicht.
2. Das macht nichts.

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5398 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 70 of 126
04 September 2014 at 6:16am | IP Logged 
"Nichts" is the negative form of "etwas". If "etwas" is a required complement, i.e. the sentence would be uncomplete without it, the negation is always "nichts"

Example: etwas = compulsory
etwas – nichts
Hast du gestern in der Stadt etwas gekauft? – Nein, ich habe nichts gefunden.
(kaufen + Akkusativ) – (finden + Akkusativ)

If the word "etwas" is not obligatory, but possible, the negation is "nichts" or "nicht"

Example: etwas = nicht obligatorisch
etwas – nichts/nicht
Hast du im Lotto (etwas) gewonnen? – Nein, ich habe nichts gewonnen./ Nein, ich habe nicht gewonnen.

If the verb is intransive, the negation is always "nicht".

Ich gehe jetzt.
Ich gehe jetzt nicht.

You cannot say *Das macht, but you can say: Das macht etwas, f.e. Das macht mir sehr wohl etwas aus (It does indeed matter to me).

Edited by Cabaire on 04 September 2014 at 6:17am

gemiscorp
Tetraglot
Thailand
Joined 3536 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Thai, French

Message 71 of 126
04 September 2014 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
A past participle can be used as an adjective.

Cf:

Es wird gemalt. - past participle
Es ist schon gemalt. - adjective

Question: Would it not be more common to just say "Es scheint mir, dass der Mann
eingeschlafen ist?"

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4643 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 72 of 126
04 September 2014 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
gemiscorp wrote:
A past participle can be used as an adjective.

Cf:

Es wird gemalt. - past participle
Es ist schon gemalt. - adjective

A participle is a verbal adjective, so it combines characteristics of a verb and an adjective. It's true some participle can be used like normal adjectives, but a sentence like "Das Bild ist schon gemalt" is simply a Zustandspassiv. For further discussion of this topic please confer this thread: Wann bist du geboren?

Quote:
Question: Would it not be more common to just say "Es scheint mir, dass der Mann eingeschlafen ist?"

I think the most common way to phrase it would be: "Anscheinend ist der Mann eingeschlafen."

This discussion contains 126 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version