Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Fate of HTLAL

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
178 messages over 23 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13 ... 22 23 Next >>
Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5859 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 97 of 178
05 August 2015 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
I've taken the following quote from patrickwilken's log (it was posted yesterday). This seems a better place to ask, though.

Serpent wrote:
The latest news is that if FX doesn't reply by mid-August, the mods will be ready to move on to the new forum.

Is there a contingency plan? What does "moving on" entail?

Don't get me wrong: even though I'd prefer to stay here (old habits die hard, I suppose), I understand the need to take action, if FX doesn't reply (which is, unfortunately, a possibility).

Having once worked as a systems information consultant, I know you guys (emk et al) can't lay out your steplist in here. I'm ok with that.

I just want to make sure that there will be someone (or some device) at the gate, no matter what.
2 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5024 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 98 of 178
05 August 2015 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
So, there were community-related news somewhere else but not here? Not the most community-friendly move if you ask me. :-(

Edit: took me a while to find the news that weren't -- I sincerely hope when some kind of 'final' letter is actually sent to FX, whatever remnants of the community are still attached to this site will be notified here.

Edited by mrwarper on 05 August 2015 at 1:09pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5060 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 99 of 178
05 August 2015 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
So, there were community-related news somewhere else but not here? Not the most community-friendly move if you ask me. :-( ...I sincerely hope when some kind of 'final' letter is actually sent to FX, whatever remnants of the community are still attached to this site will be notified here.

Mrwarper, I can't speak for everyone, but I do feel uncomfortable discussing such things here like that. It is FX's own site, after all. I probably shouldn't, since he doesn't read his own forum anymore, but I do. Yes, that announcement should have been made here as well.

Of course, if he did bother to read his own forum, we wouldn't be in this sad situation we find ourselves in now.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 100 of 178
05 August 2015 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
I'm not aware of any specific plans. Too much may change if FX does reply, and I think it's not been attempted to contact him by fax yet.

From what I understand, everyone is determined to remain a part of the community and keep it together.

edit: at the very least, if we have a new permanent location, it'll be announced via the mailing list, twitter, facebook and wikia. and of course here.

Also, please remember that FX didn't disappear in 2015. He was absent already when I passed Finnish C1 in 2011 and asked him to update the levels system (it used to be 8 but has been changed to 6 to make it more easily compatible with CEFR). It's not the second or third attempt to raise concerns over the forum future.

Edited by Serpent on 05 August 2015 at 2:23pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5024 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 101 of 178
05 August 2015 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Mrwarper, I can't speak for everyone, but I do feel uncomfortable discussing such things here like that. It is FX's own site, after all[...]

Of course, if he did bother to read his own forum, we wouldn't be in this sad situation we find ourselves in now.

Of course we wouldn't.

If you are referring to my saying "when some kind of 'final' letter is actually sent", I wasn't implying that an ultimatum is the way to go (although now I realize how it could come across that way, so sorry about that) -- if it is something else, please clarify.

Rather, as somebody willing to be a part of the community at HTLAL, I was very relieved to find out that no real communication with FX (even a hypothetical ultimatum) had taken place *and* not been reported here, as the previous comment seemingly suggested -- see the 'actually' in my own post.

Maybe we're all a bit touchy regarding all of this.
1 person has voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5765 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 102 of 178
05 August 2015 at 4:38pm | IP Logged 
Unfortunately, we have no news. I wish we did. We sent a second letter this week, and will wait about two weeks, and then . . . not sure. If anything changes we will be sure to let everyone know.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 103 of 178
05 August 2015 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
See, on the other forum people just nag the mods more about it :)

The way I see it, this is not an ultimatum but the last chance to get in touch and establish contact. FX is just asked to show up, not to propose any solutions or start the change immediately. He's not exactly asked to *be the change* either, in the sense that it would be enough if for example emk got the technical permissions to renovate the forum.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5859 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 104 of 178
05 August 2015 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
meramarina wrote:
Unfortunately, we have no news. I wish we did. We sent a second letter this week, and will wait about two weeks, and then . . . not sure. If anything changes we will be sure to let everyone know.

That was what I was expecting to read. Thank you, meramarina.

I'd also like to suggest that such news be made public in this thread, and only in it.

In the mean time, silence is the most dignified approach, in my opinion.

This discussion contains 178 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version