Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Fate of HTLAL

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
178 messages over 23 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 22 23 Next >>
Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5581 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 57 of 178
23 July 2015 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
Serpent, is that G-search option not just the same thing as searching
"site:how-to-learn-any-language.com + whatever query" in Google?

I can only assume the message was for everyone and not specifically addressed to me. It was a bit confusing the way you quoted me at the top like that.

Edited by Random review on 23 July 2015 at 3:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 58 of 178
23 July 2015 at 3:18pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
For me any new site needs to be community run, which means at a minimum the community decides who the moderators and administrators are, not the the other way around; because it's the community structures (not the software) that will inevitably make for a strong and vibrant community (as HTLAL ironically shows).

Personally, I think a split is also inevitable now too since the other site isn't going offline and sufficient old members have already voted with their feet. I am sufficiently annoyed with the way this is happening that I think I'll either stay here (and watch HTLAL die) or simply vanish into the virtual aether. Which is disappointing, and unnecessary.

I was referring to this.

BTW I'm very much against freezing the alternative site until we hear from FX again or until we've had zero reports of instability for a week. Right now this site seems to work fine for me but just yesterday it didn't, and yesterday I was at home while now I'm in Finland, so this might have to do with the difference.

And if nothing changes, it'll be only a matter of time until we ask rdearman to reactivate the temporary forum because HTLAL is down again...

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 59 of 178
23 July 2015 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
Serpent, is that G-search option not just the same thing as searching
"site:how-to-learn-any-language.com + whatever query" in Google?

I can only assume the message was for everyone and not specifically addressed
at me. It was a bit confusing the way you quoted me at the top like that.

It is, and I have it set as a custom search engine in Firefox. although sometimes it returns slightly different results.

Yeah, after that I responded to other people's points that I didn't quote directly.

Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5581 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 60 of 178
23 July 2015 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
FX certainly does have the right to let the site die... he
owns it. He obviously has things in his life that he feels are more important
for his time and money.

He owns the site, mate; that's why I said he doesn't have the right to let the
community die just because he started it. Of course he owns the
site. That's precisely the discussion, mate: whether and under what conditions
the community should continue to use his site (as opposed to moving).
3 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5173 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Studies: French

Message 61 of 178
23 July 2015 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
A "community" cannot make a decision... the individual members of the community do.

samfrances
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 3850 days ago

81 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 62 of 178
23 July 2015 at 3:57pm | IP Logged 
What's the point of this semantic wrangling? Does it make a difference in practice if we characterise a process as making a decision as a community, or as making lots of individual decisions that are heavily influenced by each other, (and the discussions surrounding them)?

Edited by samfrances on 23 July 2015 at 3:58pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5330 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 63 of 178
23 July 2015 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
Just for the record I would also be happy moving to a new site. I just feel strongly that the community as a whole should be able to make the decision.

I can only speak for myself here, not for the other moderators nor (obviously) for our administrator.

Right now, I don't even know what options are on the table. There's one person I would very much like to invite to the table before any discussion starts: the administrator. In my role as a moderator here, I am ultimately answerable to him. I'm also answerable to the other moderators, and several of them are travelling right now.

I do understand that the HTLAL community would like to have a discussion about the future, and that many people would like to decide what to do democratically, here on this site.

But the moderators don't really have the authority to pose those questions, here, unless we speak to the administrator first. If I were to put up a poll on HTLAL today, asking people what they wanted to do, it would be inappropriate for two reasons:

1. The administrator has not given the moderators the authority to run a poll about the future of his site, certainly not without talking to him first.

2. I wouldn't actually know what options to put in the poll, because I don't actually know what the options might be until we've heard from the administrator.

Personally, I would love to know what the options are, to see them all laid out side by side, and to discuss them together. I agree with what you've said about democratic organizations and their longevity, and it's a very appealing vision. But:

1. It would be inappropriate for the moderators to start that discussion here at HTLAL without either (a) the administrator's permission, or (b) a situation where we have thoroughly exhausted all our other options.

2. It would be inappropriate to hold that discussion on another site, because doing so would exclude everybody here at HTLAL. At the very least, we need to make every effort to hold a discussion here if we can, for which, see (1).

So this brings me back to my earlier point: This whole situation is probably going to play out slowly.

patrickwilken wrote:
But given there are going to be two sites, it's likely that the community is now split (assuming most people won't live on both sites). I think (in a non-dramatic/non-rhetorical fashion) that this is unfortunate as I liked the old community a lot.

I haven't given up on the dream of a single site for the community. One big challenge here is that several long-standing members are frustrated with HTLAL-as-it-exists-today, and not all of them will necessarily come back if nothing changes here. But we can't change anything here unless the administrator wants to.

And of course, setting up forums is easy. Commercial phpBB hosting costs $6 a month, and you can set it from a GUI with a credit card and a few mouse clicks. So the only real way to address people's frustrations is to do our best to tackle the underlying problems, if at all possible.

patrickwilken wrote:
To be honest I also find it annoying that the moderators are also having a private conversation about the future of the site excluding long-term members (or at least that is my impression of what is happening).

What I think should be happening is an open conversation with the whole community, and then as a community we make a decision about the future.

The moderators are currently trying to contact the administrator. If we manage to do so, yes, we would love to talk with him and offer any kind of assistance we can. Beyond that, I don't know how things will play out. In my role as a HTLAL moderator, I have pre-existing obligations that I need to properly address, and yes, some of those obligations are not really democratic as such; that's just not the nature of how things were set up.

Serpent wrote:
Right now emk is basically using the other site for these experiments (and some of it has been done earlier by rdearman in anticipation of the outage, for example when choosing the antispam solutions; rdearman deserves credit for a lot of invisible work he's done to provide us a gathering place).

Yes, I definitely want to be clear about this: I am definitely using rdearman's site to experiment with both the technical and the social aspects of phpBB. If—for whatever reason—we ever end up switching to newer forum software, I want to make sure that we have at least one concrete proposal on the table, and that the community has some experience with it. Switching forum software tends to be incredibly risky and potentially traumatic, and attempting to do so has destroyed more than one community in the past.

I'll comment more later; I have other responsibilities that await. :-)

EDIT: Improve clarity and fix obvious errors.

Edited by emk on 23 July 2015 at 4:11pm

16 persons have voted this message useful

aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5339 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 64 of 178
23 July 2015 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
This all could have been mitigated had FX been on top of things. Yes it's the summer and yes he ay
be on holiday - but this isn't the first time serious admin issues have fallen by the way side. I mean
really it's not as if FX posts on this website anymore to begin with.

The site isn't maintained and what some people appear to be viewing as "flashy" is really what two
generations of change in web design, accessibility, and standards changes. No this website isn't that
old, but it functions as such. It would have seriously seriously behoved FX to say, "look, I can't
maintain this anymore, I need to give this over to someone else" because let's be frank - that's
clearly the case.

What's funny is that there's still a "update" button where one can give $39.99 a year to supposedly
go towards the running of this website in exchange for really basic things like basic search
functionality. Where is that money actually going? It's clear no maintenance is happening and it really
doesn't cost that much to host a website of this size that gets as much traffic this does.

This site is not easily accessible by phone because of just how slow it takes to load. Heck sometimes
it's not even realistic to browse it on a smartphone. Blaming the very few graphics that are on this
website for how slow it is a joke. Flickr loads faster on my phone than HTLAL.

I like the new website. It is functional, doesn't have horrifying latency issues, and is easy to maintain
(in terms of the software that it's running on now. In reality what I would like is if FX got their crap
together and overhauled this website - something that is long overdue. If that isn't possible then sell
or give the admin rights over to the various other people who have offered to do so.

This isn't analogous to some sort of geopolitical schism, it's just plain common sense and swallowing
your pride.

12 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 178 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version