Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Fate of HTLAL

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
178 messages over 23 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 ... 22 23 Next >>
aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5339 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 105 of 178
05 August 2015 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
meramarina wrote:
Unfortunately, we have no news. I wish we did. We sent a
second letter this week, and will wait about two weeks, and then . . . not sure. If anything changes
we will be sure to let everyone know.

That was what I was expecting to read. Thank you, meramarina.

I'd also like to suggest that such news be made public in this thread, and only in it.

In the mean time, silence is the most dignified approach, in my opinion.

As someone who reads both forums it makes the most sense to me to publicize news far and wide.
That is to say, here, the .org site, the newsletter, etc. I don't think it's fair to assume that everyone is
going to be reading the .com forums in the same way that I don't think it's fair to assume that
everyone will be reading the .org forums.
3 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4687 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 106 of 178
05 August 2015 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
I realize that there are a lot of unknowns still, but do the mods have an idea on how
much content will be carried over if we move? Or is it too early to tell?

I've been holding off on writing much in my log or the threads I'm active in - I have a
sense of 'what's the point if it will all be gone in a month?'
1 person has voted this message useful

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5024 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 107 of 178
05 August 2015 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
I realize that there are a lot of unknowns still, but do the mods have an idea on how much content will be carried over if we move? Or is it too early to tell?

The forum content (that is, the part I can access) is about 600MB of text, organized in 40000+ threads and 540000+ posts.

Quote:
I've been holding off on writing much in my log or the threads I'm active in - I have a sense of 'what's the point if it will all be gone in a month?'

None of it will be *publicly* gone unless the forum collapses and FX forces us to delete our copies.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5859 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 108 of 178
05 August 2015 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
aokoye wrote:
Luso wrote:
meramarina wrote:
Unfortunately, we have no news. I wish we did. We sent a second letter this week, and will wait about two weeks, and then . . . not sure. If anything changes we will be sure to let everyone know.

I'd also like to suggest that such news be made public in this thread, and only in it.

As someone who reads both forums it makes the most sense to me to publicize news far and wide.
That is to say, here, the .org site, the newsletter, etc. I don't think it's fair to assume that everyone is going to be reading the .com forums in the same way that I don't think it's fair to assume that everyone will be reading the .org forums.

I meant "only this thread in this forum", as opposed to "other threads in this forum".

The post did not concern outside locations.

aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5339 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 109 of 178
05 August 2015 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
Luso wrote:
aokoye wrote:
Luso wrote:
meramarina wrote:
Unfortunately, we have no
news. I wish we did. We sent a second letter this week, and will wait about two weeks, and then . . .
not sure. If anything changes we will be sure to let everyone know.

That is to say, here, the .org site, the newsletter, etc. I don't think it's fair to assume that everyone is
going to be reading the .com forums in the same way that I don't think it's fair to assume that
everyone will be reading the .org forums.

I meant "only this thread in this forum", as opposed to "other threads in this forum".

The post did not concern outside locations.

Ah ok, that wasn't clear to me but makes sense.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 110 of 178
06 August 2015 at 9:58am | IP Logged 
Aww sorry, I didn't realize I ended up using Patrick's log to make an announcement. Was too focused on the fact that he might not know this to consider whether he's the only one or not.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 111 of 178
06 August 2015 at 11:20am | IP Logged 
The Administrator has ultimately demonstrated his basic commitment to keeping the site operational each time there has been a hardware problem, upgrade, or expiration of the DNS hostname record.

If the forum were to go offline permanently, I believe the community would gradually reconstitute itself in a new location.

I don't see the need for preemptive action for an event (the demise of the forum) that may not occur, when we all know how easy it is to re-congregate someplace else should the need arise.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5859 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 112 of 178
06 August 2015 at 11:43am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
I don't see the need for preemptive action for an event (the demise of the forum) that may not occur, when we all know how easy it is to re-congregate someplace else should the need arise.

Maybe this community finds your 3100+ posts interesting enough to keep. In the past, there were 1200+ instances where this happened, judging from your "votes".

In other words, it's mostly about the treasure-trove of information in here (which belongs to FX).

Edited by Luso on 06 August 2015 at 11:45am

This discussion contains 178 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version