Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Fate of HTLAL

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
178 messages over 23 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 22 23 Next >>
Random review
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5571 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 41 of 178
23 July 2015 at 11:42am | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
Random review wrote:

Implying that some people are taking advantage of the situation is neither
fair nor helpful IMO.

Of course the people who wanted to move are taking advantage of the situation.
That's obvious. Whether this is reasonable is another question which we can
agree/disagree on. I think it's going to split the community and lead to
unnecessary bad blood, but other's don't.

That would imply that they wanted to do it and were just waiting for an
opportunity; rdearman claims that he set the other site up as a backup in case
this site went down and left it live because of certain unforeseen factors,
it's not the same thing. In addition many people are saying this is the last
straw and has finally tipped them into wanting to move, again not the same
thing as taking advantage.

Of course there will probably be some people who wanted to move anyway and see
this as an opportunity; but I repeat that I don't think it is fair or helpful
to imply that about any particular individuals without any evidence.

We have no way of knowing whether rdearman intended to attract members away
from this site when he set up his back up site, so why speculate? Let's
concentrate on the important issues at hand.

Edited by Random review on 23 July 2015 at 11:45am

4 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4321 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 42 of 178
23 July 2015 at 11:54am | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:

We have no way of knowing whether rdearman intended to attract members away
from this site when he set up his back up site, so why speculate? Let's
concentrate on the important issues at hand.

I agree. However, I do find comments like this from yesterday on the new site unhelpful:

Quote:
Post by rdearman ยป Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:22 am
There is a lot of discussion about this, but if you're really passionate about making a change, just vote with your feet. Stay here, post here, the more people who decide just to not go back, will cause more people to come here. After all most people go where they can get an answer to their question. So if you really passionate about moving to new software, just put all your replies here, and reply on the old board by just putting a link to here.

2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4632 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 43 of 178
23 July 2015 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
On the same page, he also said this:

rdearman wrote:
Here is my suggestion for those people who are concerned about being a
sheep. Just use both for a little while. If you want you can post here where it is
easier and just drop the link into the old site. Or if you prefer to post there you can
paste a link here to let people follow between sites.

While not the best option it should be a temporary problem while they try to talk to
the admin at the old site.

I know the moderators are trying to speak to the admin at the old site but this will
take time. However this site will be available so you can post here or there and know
your post is available. Just use the one you feel most comfortable with.

For myself I will just hangout here until the issue is resolved one way or the other.
If for no other reason than to see which cool plugin EMK will install next.

So, could we please stop the Spanish Inquisition and act rationally again?
6 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4321 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 44 of 178
23 July 2015 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:

So North-South Korea is overkill but the Spanish Inquisition is normal discourse?? :)

I actually do think I am speaking rationally. I am sorry if you don't agree. The existence of the two sites is forcing the issue that excludes the community as a whole being able to make a decision. There are long-term members of this site who won't even input into the final decision because they had the ill fortune to be on summer holidays for a week or two.

Anyway, I agree that there are more useful things to talk about, but I am not really sure to what end. The moderators are having a private conversation about the future. The other site is functioning and probably has a critical mass of members, which isn't going away. What are we to discuss there? Whether we stay or go?

Edited by patrickwilken on 23 July 2015 at 12:14pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4632 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 45 of 178
23 July 2015 at 12:11pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
Josquin wrote:

So North-South Korea is overkill but the Spanish Inquisition is normal discourse?? :)

I was simply adjusting to the tone of the debate. ;)

Quote:
Anyway, I agree that there are more useful things to talk about.

Seconded.
3 persons have voted this message useful

samfrances
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 3840 days ago

81 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 46 of 178
23 July 2015 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
No one wants to split the community. People mostly just want better software, in order to save a community that seems to be slowly dying anyway. If the Administrator would either upgrade the software himself, or (better) give the active admins what they need to upgrade the software and keep it up-to-date, I think everyone would be very happy, and indeed prefer, to stay here.

Edited by samfrances on 23 July 2015 at 12:17pm

aabram
Pentaglot
Estonia
Joined 5321 days ago

138 posts - 263 votes 
Speaks: Estonian*, English, Spanish, Russian, Finnish
Studies: Mandarin, French

Message 47 of 178
23 July 2015 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
Voting with our feet has already occurred and has been happening for a long time. It started when people stopped coming here and new
users not registering. Once a frequent user I stopped coming here because it was becoming arduous. Never knew whether the site was up
or not or whether it could load relevalt topics. It's not like there is lack of similar places on the interwebs.

I get that it's all about the community but while I might love my cousins living in the countryside I just like don't feel like
visiting them often anymore. They live in that hut they themselves call to a rustic mansion full of nostalgia, memories and old
pictures of their younger selves, which, unfortunately it's about all there is that they have going on there. It's not that I don't
love them, it's just that the stay is uncomfortable. And at times they're not even home when I come. So I try again. But alas, at
times they seem to be home, but for some reason doors are stuck and I can't get in. Or move about the rooms. So I've given up daily
visits and only come on rare occasions.

Seems to me the website is bleeding users. And it's not because of the users, it's because of the website. Staying here for the
content is saying that the (old) content is more important than (new) users and it the ships sinks with all that paraphernalia then
so be it, it's too precious to let go. True, great content indeed creates new users, but on the other hand, it's the users, who
create content. And they can create new content. People build up destroyed cities and recover after tsunamis. Or move elsewhere, away
from their home town. They're not calling it a schism, they're calling it searching for a better life or just turning the page. They
moved from yahoo to hotmail to gmail. And from orkut to myspace to facebook. It's not the end of the world.

Oh, and in 2015 on the internet, when there's no decent mobile version of the site, I stop visiting it as often. We could easily
triple (pulled the number out of thin air but in any case it'd be a positive number) participation rate by having forums that are
mobile friendly. I'd be wasting a lot more time on the site when commuting or just idling without computer.
9 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4321 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 48 of 178
23 July 2015 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
samfrances wrote:
No one wants to split the community. People mostly just want better software, in order to save a community that seems to be slowly dying anyway. If the Administrator would either upgrade the software himself, or (better) give the active admins what they need to upgrade the software and keep it up-to-date, I think everyone would be very happy, and indeed prefer, to stay here.

Just for the record I would also be happy moving to a new site. I just feel strongly that the community as a whole should be able to make the decision.

Look I don't mean to sound super dramatic. I really don't. It seems to me rationally that there is a new site that is now permanent called 'how-to-learn-any-language.org'. It isn't going away. So the choice we have is to go there, or stay here. That choice depends a lot on what happens in the future on both sites. But given there are going to be two sites, it's likely that the community is now split (assuming most people won't live on both sites). I think (in a non-dramatic/non-rhetorical fashion) that this is unfortunate as I liked the old community as a whole a lot.

To be honest I also find it annoying that the moderators are also having a private conversation about the future of the site excluding long-term members (or at least that is my impression of what is happening).

What I think should be happening is an open conversation with the whole community, and then as a community we make a decision about the future.

Edited by patrickwilken on 23 July 2015 at 12:33pm

This discussion contains 178 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version