Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Fate of HTLAL

Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
178 messages over 23 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 ... 22 23 Next >>
aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5339 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 113 of 178
06 August 2015 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Of course the problem is that reading through said 3,100+ posts is really kind of a joke given that you
can't easily read through anyones posts (via clicking the post count) without a pro membership (and
again - what exactly are those dollars going towards).

I don't remember if I've said it on here but I know I've said it on the .org site, the idea of people
coming to HTLAL.com and searching through posts to find resources is very unrealistic. The latency
on this website is overwhelming, it's not very accessible, and the only even kind of productive way to
search is via Google (which is not ok. These are basic things that I'm talking about and basic
things that should be expected from a website.
10 persons have voted this message useful

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4563 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 114 of 178
07 August 2015 at 7:43am | IP Logged 
Sigh. I think FX just doesn't care anymore. It's OK, he doesn't owe me anything. He
improved my life by starting this forum. I hope that the wonderful information in his forum
and the community that surrounds it can survive his indifference.
4 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5060 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 115 of 178
07 August 2015 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
I am taking it upon myself to post this here as it's a major update of our situation and no one has posted it here yet. I think those who are still here deserve to know what's going on. The moderation team have sent a communication to FX and are waiting to hear back from him. Their self-imposed deadline for a response is August 21. After which there will be more of an effort to find a new, permanent home for the community.

You can read Rhian's original post here: Deadline.

This is a sad situation, but one that has been looming for the past five years I have been a member here.

sfuqua wrote:
Sigh. I think FX just doesn't care anymore. It's OK, he doesn't owe me anything. He improved my life by starting this forum. I hope that the wonderful information in his forum and the community that surrounds it can survive his indifference.

Steve has summed this up well with one word- "indifference". With the lack of updates, basic maintenance, lack of upkeep, slow performance of page loading, letting the domain name expire, lack of communication, it all points to indifference. Does anyone really believe that if we stay here without changes, there won't be a next crisis? Would we grow or continue a slow death by attrition? I think the answer is obvious. If we're not growing, we're dying. It's as simple as that.

I hope that FX will take advantage of this opportunity to keep his legacy going in a win-win situation. Time will tell.

One unanswered question I have is, if there is no response from FX forthcoming, will the moderation team still remain active here? If not, then the death of HTLAL is inevitable as it becomes filled with spam, and un-moderated commentary.

Edit: corrected deadline date. Thanks, Serpent.

Edited by iguanamon on 07 August 2015 at 10:25pm

10 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 116 of 178
07 August 2015 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Um, right now it says the deadline is August 21.

Spammers are generally new users, and assuming new people won't be approved anymore I don't think the silence will lead to spam. Of course there are always some spammers who register in advance and only post when they get the permission to post links, but it should be enough to keep checking for them for a couple of months.

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5765 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 117 of 178
07 August 2015 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
With the level of activity as low as it is, very little moderating needs to be done. Since the DNS reactivation, daily posts have been greatly reduced.

As of now, I can check new accounts because I come here to read old threads for my own use, too, but we are getting fewer requests now. And fewer of those requests are becoming active members, either because they receive no activation email due to a software bug,because the site is difficult to use and outdated, or other reasons.

But then again, who known what will happen. I'm not optimistic, but if it turns out there's a way to save or improve this website, I would want to do that.

Our backup forum filled up very quickly, however, so much so that it seems not many people want to come back here. I'd be surprised if that changed. And for all we know, we could lose this form again to technical malfunctions or another reason we do not know, such as when the forum went offline for a few days and we still do not know exactly why.

I don't like this constant feeling of uncertainty and I hope we can get the problems resolved.

5 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7003 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 118 of 178
08 August 2015 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
I guess it wasn't exactly a "gradual reconstitution" of the community.
It looks like most everyone has ditched HTLAL.com for HTLAL.org.
Well, I'll be seeing you over there mostly.
This place has become sort of a ghost town.
2 persons have voted this message useful

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5765 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 119 of 178
08 August 2015 at 3:02am | IP Logged 
Yes, I'm surprised how quickly that site is growing and how fast this one is failing.

It was not our intent to create a competitor to HTLAL. Setting that up was meant to be a short-term plan in case this forum crashed, and assuming that, when it did, it would not return. But it did, and now here we are with two forums, and we have to keep up with the former spare, temporary forum, since it is doing much better than the main one at this time.

I'm trying to consider them as two parts of the same thing, for now, as we are working out what the long-term plan might be.
8 persons have voted this message useful

sing85
Australia
Joined 4348 days ago

1 posts - 4 votes

Message 120 of 178
10 August 2015 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
This place has literally start my journey into language learning and I do not wish to
see a perfectly functional (though obsolete) website go to waste.

I am no good with softwares and the like, but here are a few reasons that I think we
should consider before leaving this site:

1. The huge and valuable archive. The posts written personally by Professor Arguelles
and the inventor of L-R atamagaii alone is worth 10 times what the new forum has to
offer in a long long time to come. Not to mention the width and depth of many other
intellectual discussions by other old members that we are never going to see again
(e.g. Elvenlord on Cornish). Time and again, I find myself searching through the forum
with Google and I've done so for more than 2 years. And every single time I learn
something new. Actually I just discovered Prof A's take on reading literature with
translation, and I am implementing that into my studies right now.

There are many lurkers like myself that are immensely benefitted by this forum, and if
it dies, we will have no way of obtaining the same kind of education ever again.

If we decide to leave, this forum will no longer be maintained, and all these
treasures will in time be gone forever. I do not want to see that happen.

2. Functionality. Obviously improvement is much needed, but I do not think we need
that many extra functions on a simple community like this. As we are still
communicating using this antiquated forum software, that confirms it is still doing
its job well.

Now the discussion is mainly revolving around domain, speed, search and registration.
I think these are fixable in a blink of an eye in the right hands, given FX's
approval.

FX is undoubtedly indifferent about the forum. But he did renew the domain. That means
there is still hope that he will respond, as long as we can find a way to continuously
nag him about the issue. And we don't need much, we only want him to transfer the
rights to maintain the forum's software ourselves.

3. Theme. Appearance is subjective, and I certainly like it here more than the new
one. And the .org just doesn't sound right. .com is the way to go!

It is unprecedented that many of us spoke out (and acted) this time, and it will be
different in the future. The "incident" will not repeat itself next time. If we can
hang on to this forum a little longer, we might actually see some changes. Please
don't give a deadline to when the forum should end, it makes me sad. I think I am
going to stay and roam around here until the day it is really gone.

This discussion contains 178 messages over 23 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version