United States
Joined 6741 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German

Message 161 of 191
15 July 2007 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
Seth wrote:
I hope one thing has not been overlooked. I really treasure listening and reading methods. ... I just don't like the approach so much when one is brand new to a language.

Looking at your list of Russian materials, I am wondering if you are correctly identifying the elements in them that actually taught you the language. This goes back to your earlier remark that perhaps we aren't seeing some common elements between seemingly different programs.

One can think of Pimsleur in terms of speaking, but it is also the first step towards intuitively unraveling the grammar, as opposed to having it explained. Assimil, interestingly enough, places considerable emphasis on acquiring quite a bit of grammar from examples rather than from explanations. The difference seems to be the pace, which is quite steep in Assimil, which they make up for by throwing in some amount of grammatical explanations.

Pimsleur, however, is what got you started in Russian, with more and more grammar explicitly taught in your subsequent materials.

This sequence seems to be the one as far as grammar acquisition and study goes if one starts with Assimil. It forces one to acquire a fair bit of grammar, but those who don't want to speak making a lot of mistakes will have to study grammar more explicitly later, from a different source.

Edited by frenkeld on 15 July 2007 at 2:35am

1 person has voted this message useful

Seth
Diglot
Changed to RedKing’sDream
United States
Joined 7022 days ago

240 posts - 252 votes 
Speaks: English*, Russian
Studies: Persian

Message 162 of 191
15 July 2007 at 10:33am | IP Logged 

frenkeld wrote:

One can think of Pimsleur in terms of speaking, but it is also the first step towards intuitively unraveling the grammar, as opposed to having it explained. Assimil, interestingly enough, places considerable emphasis on acquiring quite a bit of grammar from examples rather than from explanations. The difference seems to be the pace, which is quite steep in Assimil, which they make up for by throwing in some amount of grammatical explanations.

Yes, obviously if people are learning from both methods (which we can agree seem to work pretty differently on the surface), then they are doing something fundamental in common: acquisition of grammar. And by that, we mean an intuititive understanding of how the grammar works, not just intellectual knowledge of the system. I prefer the more bottom-up approach to Pimsleur and its interaction with learner. Others obviously like to infer it from the way Assimil presents it. I have already said plenty about their salient differences, so I think its fair just to leave it at that.

Interstingly, Barry Farber praises Pimsleur in his book. I'd like to know what his opinion of Assimil is.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6741 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 163 of 191
15 July 2007 at 11:02am | IP Logged 
Seth wrote:
Interstingly, Barry Farber praises Pimsleur in his book. I'd like to know what his opinion of Assimil is.

It's not clear he knew about it. fanatic mentioned once writing to him to tell him about Assimil - I wonder if he ever heard back.

Barry Farber was old school, his mainstay was a textbook. So, for him Pimsleur would've likely been a supplement, and it's a big difference relying on a program to teach you all you need to know versus using it in auxiliary mode. Sort of like what I said about seeing Assimil as just a collection of dialogs and a bilingual reader of sorts.

Seth wrote:
I prefer the more bottom-up approach ...

This is the reason I would't use any audiocourse without having a traditional textbook on hand as well. One can get plenty of top down stuff later from reading and listening.

Edited by frenkeld on 15 July 2007 at 11:02am

LilleOSC
United States
lille.theoffside.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6489 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 164 of 191
15 July 2007 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
reltuk wrote:

This construction takes my quote out of context and makes it out to say something which it is not intended to. My point was that any introductory course, Assimil and FSI included, rightfully fails to introduce you to a comprehensive descriptive grammar of the language.

Sorry, that wasn't my intention.
reltuk wrote:
Of course, Assimil would claim that it does "help you master verb conjugation and grammar". Which is to say:
1) it regularly exposes you to the correct forms,
2) it encourages you to repeat and internalize the forms,
3) it ensures that you are correctly generalizing about the forms with notes on grammar and correct usage,
4) it prompts you to generate the forms and provides an opportunity to check if the phrase that you produce is correct.

I understand what you mean now in both of your quotes. Thanks for explaining.

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6890 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 165 of 191
15 July 2007 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
Seth wrote:

It's not clear he knew about it. fanatic mentioned once writing to him to tell him about Assimil - I wonder if he ever heard back.

Barry Farber was old school, his mainstay was a textbook.

Oddly enough Bill Handley (fanatic) recommends starting with not one but three textbooks in his book “Fast Easy Way to Learn a Language”.

(BTW fanatic I have your book sitting next to Farber’s on the self.)

Barry Farber also liked Transparent’s 101 Languages and the old Berlitz Comprehensive Cassette Courses. Both courses are Assimil-like in approach.

Farley
Triglot
United States
Joined 6890 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 166 of 191
15 July 2007 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
Seth wrote:
Yes, obviously if people are learning from both methods (which we can agree seem to work pretty differently on the surface), then they are doing something fundamental in common: acquisition of grammar. And by that, we mean an intuititive understanding of how the grammar works, not just intellectual knowledge of the system. I prefer the more bottom-up approach to Pimsleur and its interaction with learner. Others obviously like to infer it from the way Assimil presents it.

You just hit the nail on the head! Assimil learners prefer the top-down approach. If research on personality types, learning types and multiple intelligences does not prove it, then certainly the responses on the forum suggest differences among learners. Either way, Assimil and FSI teach syntax through examples.

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6463 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 167 of 191
16 July 2007 at 4:58am | IP Logged 
Marc Frisch wrote:
Ancient Greek: the dialogues are ridiculous and the speakers on the tapes have very French accents

I haven't followed the whole thread, so maybe someone has commented on that already. I had a look at it again and it's not that bad actually. I confounded it with the Latin course, which I don't like at all, so I corrected the original post.

frenkeld
Diglot
United States
Joined 6741 days ago

2042 posts - 2719 votes 

Message 168 of 191
16 July 2007 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
Farley wrote:
Oddly enough Bill Handley (fanatic) recommends starting with not one but three textbooks in his book “Fast Easy Way to Learn a Language”.

John,

Is the word "textbook" used interchangeably with "audiocourse" in that recommendation?

This discussion contains 191 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version