Joined 6890 days ago

681 posts - 739 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanB1, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 169 of 191
16 July 2007 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
frenkeld wrote:
Is the word "textbook" used interchangeably with "audiocourse" in that recommendation?

David,

No Bill Handley (fanatic) recommends using at least 3 different "textbooks" not "audio courses"; one will explain something better than the other. In fact, he recommends in his book to cover each grammar book from cover to cover a couple of times each. He says you don't have to spend tons of money on audio courses. In his book recommends several courses, Assimil is just his favorite. His book also includes a section on grammar, in some ways it was a bit more old-fashioned than Farber. The big difference between Handley and Farber is that Handley recommends "Quickly poorly vs. slowly surely" approach to everything.

The emphasis on grammar is a point that always gets overlooked in these debates on the effectiveness of Assimil. Using an Assimil course was never excuse to dispense with the textbook.

John

1 person has voted this message useful

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6944 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 171 of 191
16 July 2007 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Athena wrote:
Fanatic, is your book available on Amazon.com? What is its ISBN?

No, my book is not available at present from amazon.com.

The publishers, John Wiley and Son Australia, have now acquired world rights for the book and they don't sell on amazon as a rule. They haven't decided what they will do in the case of my book but I am inclined to think they won't be offering the book to amazon.

The easiest way at present is to buy the book directly from my website. I have sold copies of the book to countries around the world, many, I suspect, to members of this forum.

I have the feeling that Wiley Australia are more interested in selling the translation rights than the book itself worldwide. They have just sold the translation rights for my new mathematics book to a Spanish publisher so Spanish is the fourth language for my maths books.

Cage
Diglot
aka a.ardaschira, Athena, Michael Thomas
United States
Joined 6422 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 172 of 191
17 July 2007 at 1:12am | IP Logged 
What is the website for your book? It sounds very interesting.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6237 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 173 of 191
17 July 2007 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
Cage wrote:
What is the website for your book? It sounds very interesting.

http://www.speedmathematics.com/html/few.htm.

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6901 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 174 of 191
20 July 2007 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
When I first stumbled across this thread after a lengthy (for me) absence from having the time to visit the forum, I thought "Oh no, not again! Yet another FSI v. Assimil debate!".

Nevertheless, having waded through the 22 pages I found that I quite enjoyed the discussion and many of the points made. However, I have to say that yet again we appear to have reached the fundamental conclusion that your learning style will seriously affect the perceived effectiveness of using an Assimil course.

I'll reiterate some points I've made (several times) before. I've used both FSI (Platiquemos) and Assmil Spanish courses (With Ease and Using Spanish). I found both effective but I find Assimil much less time-consuming.

Somewhere on the site are some links to online tests designed to ascertain learning styles. If you want to know whether Assimil or FSI is going to work for you (or why it doesn't work at all) first determine your learning style.

If anything Seth has said rings true, you're probably going to prefer FSI. I don't think anyone should necessarily be criticised for not completing a course all the way before dismissing it. I've "binned" plenty of learning material over the years because I've found it useless for me. For example, I'm unlikely to ever bother with another Pimsleur course since I find the pace too slow.

Personally, my learning style is somewhat in the middle which is why I always fail to understand the strong negative reactions to both courses. My preference is to use Assimil as a basis but I am extremely grateful to Platiquemos for the drills on certain points that I was always geting wrong. I found myself nodding in agreement over David's points on Assimil German with Ease since I have found I am often looking up certain elements within a sentence to understand their literal meaning and usage better, However, to me that's just an example of Ardaschir's adding "salt to taste".

Andy.

lloydkirk
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6211 days ago

429 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Russian

Message 176 of 191
21 July 2007 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
Athena wrote:
Pimsleur is the best of the self teaching methods even though it takes you almost nowhere.

That's somewhat of a contradiction. The rest of your statement is a rant. Many people have used FSI or Assimil with great success, perhaps they are not for you.

This discussion contains 191 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version