aka a.ardaschira, Athena, Michael Thomas
United States
Joined 6422 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 41 of 191
06 July 2007 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
If you can call Esperanto a real language would you have to call Pig Latin one too..right? I grew up speaking it to my friends along with English...hmmmm... perhaps I should add it to my profile...;) Can you really compare Esperanto to a real language like Hebrew? Hebrew was not invented in 1948 when the Jewish people claimed their lands. It only laid dormant for a time. That language is one of the oldest languages there is. Are there monolinguals whose only language is Esperanto? Wouldn't be very many people they could speak to. Wouldn't comparing Esperanto in richness of expression, history, and heritage to a real language be like comparing lightning bugs to lighting?

Edited by Cage on 06 July 2007 at 2:00am

1 person has voted this message useful

FSI
United States
Joined 6157 days ago

550 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 42 of 191
06 July 2007 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
I noticed you didn't counter NSL in the entirety of your post.

Quote:
If you can call Esperanto a real language would you have to call Pig Latin one too..right?

Nah. Pig Latin's a language game - a cipher. It's a means of obfuscating an existing language. Not the same as Esperanto, NSL, or Hebrew.

Quote:
Can you really compare Esperanto to a real language like Hebrew?

Why not? Can you really compare NSL to a "real" language like Hebrew?

Quote:
Hebrew was not invented in 1948 when the Jewish people claimed their lands. It only laid dormant for a time.

If by dormant, you mean dead, certainly. By that logic, we'd have to describe Latin as a "dormant" language. The same with Old English, and Proto-Indo-Iranian.

Hebrew was extinct. It wasn't spoken. Thousands upon thousands of words were invented - yes, invented - in order to make the language viable, and usable in modern times. Does this make Hebrew a fake language?

Quote:
That language is one of the oldest languages there is.

That language, as it was spoken, is dead. The language as it is spoken now is a hybrid of how we believe the old language might have been spoken, with a thorough overhaul to render it practical in the 21st century.

Quote:
Are there monolinguals whose only language is Esperanto?

Perhaps, but most likely not, for the same reason nearly every endangered language currently in existence possesses fewer and fewer truly monolingual speakers by the day - the world is a much smaller place. Each day, cultures and languages intertwine irrevocably. Whenever two meet, the dominant culture imposes its language on its neighbor, and the "weaker" language dies out. 100 years ago, it might have been feasible to have communities of monolingual Esperanto speakers in isolated parts of the world. Today, this is very difficult, for the reasons outlined above.

Quote:
Wouldn't comparing Esperanto in richness of expression, history, and heritage to a real language be like comparing lightning bugs to lighting?

Substitute Nicaraguan Sign Language into your above sentence. The "cultural bling" of a language shouldn't have anything to do with its right to exist. NSL has existed for solely 30 years. Does this mean it is a "lightning bug" compared to any other language in existence? I think not. Language isn't some kind of old boy's club, where one needs to have the proper credentials in order to gain entry. A language simply requires people willing to speak it. And depending on one's count, Esperanto has a couple million, with a tally growing every day. This may be compared to the dozens (hundreds?) of languages that, sadly, go extinct each year. Perhaps we shouldn't be as eager to draw up underhanded constructs to keep Esperanto out of the language tent - because when we do, we inevitably crowd out thousands of languages without the global weight of Esperanto, which are every bit as real in the minds of the people who use them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esperanto

And for the record, there's quite a bit of culture to be had in Esperanto.

Cage
Diglot
United States
Joined 6422 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 

Message 43 of 191
06 July 2007 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
Great post FSI! Definitely food for thought there. Perhaps one day the Esperanto speakers will form their
own country and a thousand years from now no one will think of Esperanto as any less than any other language?

Edited by Cage on 06 July 2007 at 3:32am

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6237 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 44 of 191
06 July 2007 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
Cage wrote:
Great post FSI! Definitely food for thought there. Perhaps one day the Esperanto speakers will form their
own country and a thousand years from now no one will think of Esperanto as any less than any other language?

Why is a country necessary? There are "5000, give or take a couple of thousand" languages. Last I checked, there were far less countries. If you consider Basque, Cantonese, and Navajo languages, a country isn't necessary.

Some people consider Esperanto 'lesser', some do not. The same is true for any other language. The issue is perception, not some objective fact or status or attribute.

Cage
Diglot
United States
Joined 6422 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 

Message 45 of 191
07 July 2007 at 2:55pm | IP Logged 
Hey Volte chill out guy!   I was speaking tongue in cheek! I was speculating when I said "perhaps". Who knows where things will go in the next 1000 years. Healthy languages are those with five million or more speakers. The rest are struggling for survival.

Edited by Cage on 07 July 2007 at 2:58pm

reltuk
Groupie
United States
Joined 6614 days ago

75 posts - 110 votes 
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 46 of 191
07 July 2007 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
Cage wrote:
Healthy languages are those with five million or more
speakers. The rest are struggling for survival.

Judging a language's likelihood to survive in the short-term seems to be
related to a number of factors, including:

1) average age of the linguistic community,
2) rate of adoption as a native language by subsequent generations within
the linguistic community,
3) rate of "attrition" by younger generations to live or work outside the
linguistic community,
4) rate of marriage and child birth amongst native speakers within the
linguistic community, as compared to cross-linguistic community
marriages,
5) prevalence of communication with and proximity to other linguistic
communities.

While that list is no where near comprehensive, it's a bit more of a
realistic approach to the situation than just throwing out a (random?)
number like 5 million.

I would suggest that Esperanto is not struggling to survive, despite
having less than 5 million speakers, and almost no native ones. A
sufficient number of people enter the linguistic community every year and
there is sufficient interest of maintaining the language as a form of
communication from within the community that, baring some great
changes in the geo-political or socio-linguistic fabric of the World, it
does not stand a reasonable chance of not being spoken three to five
generations from now.

The Law
United States
Joined 6173 days ago

31 posts - 31 votes

Message 47 of 191
07 July 2007 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
More talk on Assimil, less on Esperanto :(

reltuk
Groupie
United States
Joined 6614 days ago

75 posts - 110 votes 
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 48 of 191
07 July 2007 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
The Law wrote:
More talk on Assimil, less on Esperanto :(

It seems to me that an awful lot has been written about Assimil on these
forums already. Is there specific information you're looking for that you
haven't found in previous posts yet?

This discussion contains 191 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version