Switzerland
Joined 6236 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 33 of 191
04 July 2007 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
Cage wrote:
I don't think you can fault the program for a pseudo language like esperanto.

Esperanto has more than a century of history, and hundreds of thousands to a couple of million fluent speakers. It even has a few native speakers. There is literature, music, etc. I see absolutely no reason why it's not possible to create a course for it which is no more contrived than one for a non-constructed language.

1 person has voted this message useful

LilleOSC
United States
lille.theoffside.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6488 days ago

545 posts - 546 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 34 of 191
04 July 2007 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
The Law wrote:
How about after I complete Using French?

Yeah, I keep asking that, too.I am at an intermediate level, and I am not sure how useful Using French and French with Ease would be for me.

Kleberson
Diglot
Great Britain
Joined 6215 days ago

166 posts - 168 votes 
Speaks: English*, Portuguese
Studies: Italian, Russian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin

Message 35 of 191
04 July 2007 at 2:07pm | IP Logged 
LilleOSC wrote:
Yeah, I keep asking that, too.I am at an intermediate level, and I am not sure how useful Using French and French with Ease would be for me.

I think the 'using' courses are to make the learner aware of regional differences and pronunciation, I may be completely wrong though. I'm sure it would probably help you in my opinion.

As for the French with ease course, I would definitely go for it, it will brush up any loose areas you may have, and give you more vocabulary depending on what your current level is.

Edited by Kleberson on 04 July 2007 at 2:15pm

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6462 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 36 of 191
05 July 2007 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
LilleOSC wrote:
The Law wrote:
How about after I complete Using French?

I did the Using French to reactivate my high school French and it worked pretty well. It's very good to learn idiomatic expressions.

Cage
Diglot
aka a.ardaschira, Athena, Michael Thomas
United States
Joined 6421 days ago

382 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 37 of 191
06 July 2007 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
How would a native speaker of Esperanto come about?

tpiz
Diglot
Groupie
United States
cvillepayne.blogspot
Joined 6161 days ago

77 posts - 79 votes 
Studies: Portuguese, English*, French
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 38 of 191
06 July 2007 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
Some kids grow up with parents who both speak Esperanto and learn it as a child, but I'm sure they have to end up being bilingual at the least.

FSI
United States
Joined 6156 days ago

550 posts - 590 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 39 of 191
06 July 2007 at 12:50am | IP Logged 
Wouldn't a native speaker of Esperanto come about the way native speakers of any language come about? No language simply existed for all time - at one point or another, there were people who spoke it partly, but not quite thoroughly. If those people had kids, and said kids were raised in the same environment, the kids learned the language completely. Thirty years ago, Nicaraguan Sign Language was invented out of thin air by a bunch of determined kids. The first generation didn't reach a full command of it, but the second gen kids did so easily. And you rarely see people going about stating there aren't native signers of NLS. The same happened with the resurrection of Hebrew, which, by all accounts, was a dead language before its revival in Israel. Yet no one asks "how can there be native speakers of Hebrew?". I imagine eventually, there will be too many speakers of Esperanto for people to keep insisting it isn't a real language, that it contains no native speakers, that it cannot be a mother tongue, and other fun (but innaccurate) things to say.

tpiz
Diglot
Groupie
United States
cvillepayne.blogspot
Joined 6161 days ago

77 posts - 79 votes 
Studies: Portuguese, English*, French
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 40 of 191
06 July 2007 at 12:59am | IP Logged 
Actually I was reading an article about how Esperanto should be counted as a natural language because of the fact that kids grew up speaking Esperanto as their native language. I don't know everything about the topic but I do know that it's happened but I don't know if they have a full grasp of the language or what.

This discussion contains 191 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version