191 messages over 24 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 23 24 Next >>
The Law
United States
Joined 6173 days ago

31 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 49 of 191
07 July 2007 at 5:37pm | IP Logged 
Yes, how far will New French with Ease take me after completing the course? Now how far will Using French take me? Are all the tenses covered in New French with Ease or is Using French a must to master French and become fluent?
1 person has voted this message useful

reltuk
Groupie
United States
Joined 6614 days ago

75 posts - 110 votes 
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 50 of 191
07 July 2007 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
The Law wrote:
Yes, how far will New French with Ease take me after completing the course? Now how far will Using French take me? Are all the tenses covered in New French with Ease or is Using French a must to master French and become fluent?

A quick search found an old post in an old thread that addresses this issue.

From that post:

Farley wrote:
New French with Ease, has a two way dictionary, and from what I remember contains about 2200+ words; it averages about 25 words per lesson. It covers the basic verb tenses (present, passe compose, imperfect, future, present conditional and present subjunctive). That is similar to German with Ease. Using French covers the advanced and literary verb tenses, and I estimate about 4000-5000 words.

The Law
United States
Joined 6173 days ago

31 posts - 31 votes

Message 51 of 191
07 July 2007 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
So I guess I'll have a pretty good grasp of French after With Ease and then I'll be pretty much fluent after Using French?

reltuk
Groupie
United States
Joined 6614 days ago

75 posts - 110 votes 
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 52 of 191
07 July 2007 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
The Law wrote:
So I guess I'll have a pretty good grasp of French after With Ease and then I'll be pretty much fluent after Using French?

Assuming that you mastered both courses, and that the above statement is correct, you would have a vocabulary of between 5000 and 7000 words, and have a familiarity with most of the grammatical structures and all of the verb tenses of French. Given the nature of Assimil courses, you would also have a repertoire of idiomatic expressions and cultural trivia at your disposal.

"Pretty much fluent" is a partly vague term, and people have different standards for fluency. You can find many posts on these forums discussing different people's conceptions of the term. I would guess that mastery of "New French with Ease" would put you around level B1 in the CEF, and mastery of "Using French" would put you around C1, excluding field specialization and the likes.

The CEF is the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages, "a common basis for the elaboration of language syllabuses, curriculum guidelines, examinations, textbooks, etc. across Europe." It includes different levels to describe language mastery, with criteria for evaluating understanding, speaking and writing skills along a matrix judging range, accuracy, and fluency, interaction and coherence.

On the global scale (rating all of the skills in aggregate), the two above mentioned grades are described as:

B1: Can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered in work, school, leisure, etc. Can deal with most situations likely to arise whilst traveling in an area where the language is spoken. Can produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest. Can describe experiences and events, dreams, hopes and ambitions and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.

C1: Can understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognize implicit meaning. Can express him/herself fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions. Can use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes. Can produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organizational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices.

I think "New French with Ease" would actually leave you around B1+ and "Using French" would actually leave you around C1-. I encourage anyone with dissenting opinions or experiences to weigh in, since I've never actually evaluated the scope of how far an Assimil course takes someone when it is the sole means of their learning a language (outside of native exposure, of course, which these predicted levels are predicated on you pursuing independently).

More information about the CEF can be found on wikipedia.

Edited by reltuk on 07 July 2007 at 9:32pm

tpiz
Diglot
Groupie
United States
cvillepayne.blogspot
Joined 6162 days ago

77 posts - 79 votes 
Studies: Portuguese, English*, French
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 53 of 191
07 July 2007 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
Currently I am using the Assimil Japanese course, and I've asked a couple questions here earlier, but I haven't really met anyone who learned Japanese through this method, and if they did, how'd they do it? The reason I am asking for this specifically is because Japanese is unlike the romance languages where we already understand, to a certain extent, all the parts of speech and the writing, so the only thing necessary is to learn the vocabulary, conjugations, etc. whereas a language like Japanese is unlike any romance language and you need to learn "more" to understand the language. Did anyone usiing assimil japanese memorize or just listen, repeat aloud, and continue to the next exercise?

FSI
United States
Joined 6157 days ago

550 posts - 590 votes 

Message 54 of 191
07 July 2007 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
Quote:

If you were to commit the entire courses to heart, yes.

Very few people are willing to repeat courses hundreds of times to reach these results, however. One or two sweeps will not bring you to fluency.

The Law
United States
Joined 6173 days ago

31 posts - 31 votes

Message 55 of 191
07 July 2007 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the information!

Now for a question that I forgot to mention... How do you pronounce Assimil?

FSI wrote:

If you were to commit the entire courses to heart, yes.

I do each lesson thoroughly, and at every 7th lesson I repeat the past seven by going through the audio and rereading the passages. I don't memorize the passages though.

Edited by The Law on 07 July 2007 at 8:04pm

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6944 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 56 of 191
07 July 2007 at 8:09pm | IP Logged 
The Law wrote:
Thanks for all the information!

Now for a question that I forgot to mention... How do you pronounce Assimil?

uh-see-MEEL

This discussion contains 191 messages over 24 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version