397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 73 of 173
04 October 2009 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
doviende wrote:
My girlfriend and i will sometimes speak chinese to
each other, since we both went to china on exchange together. It's not actually that
useful as a "secret" language here in Vancouver, though, since there are so many
chinese speakers everywhere we go.

What i really dream of is someone coming to me and saying "hey, let's learn Lojban
together as a secret language." I'd jump at the chance, but so far i haven't been able
to convince anyone.

I'm in.

Me too,
1 person has voted this message useful

NapoleonsLunch
Australia
napoleonslunch.
Joined 5318 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: FrenchB2

Message 74 of 173
05 October 2009 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
Swedish is an excellent secret language of Australia ;-)

qklilx
United States
Joined 5975 days ago

459 posts - 477 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 75 of 173
05 October 2009 at 5:20am | IP Logged 
I use English as my secret language in Korea since hardly anyone knows enough to know what my friends and I might be talking about. When I know someone nearby can understand me I just speed up. I've only met one English learner who has poor speaking but can understand nearly everything I say even at full speed. She's my teacher this semester so it's a good thing I don't ever say anything negative or inappropriate in her presence!

Japanese was my secret language on a few occasions. I prefer keeping my knowledge of it secret because sometimes Japanese people will say something completely inappropriate that they wouldn't have said around me otherwise. It's hilarious!
2 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5914 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 76 of 173
05 October 2009 at 6:03am | IP Logged 
This reminds me of the Madventures Burma episode. They were worried about being overheard by the Burma military, so instead of doing the show in English, they reverted to their secret code language -- Finnish.

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5693 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 77 of 173
05 October 2009 at 2:11pm | IP Logged 
qklilx wrote:
I use English as my secret language in Korea since hardly anyone knows
enough to know what my friends and I might be talking about. When I know someone nearby
can understand me I just speed up. I've only met one English learner who has poor
speaking but can understand nearly everything I say even at full speed. She's my
teacher this semester so it's a good thing I don't ever say anything negative or
inappropriate in her presence!

Japanese was my secret language on a few occasions. I prefer keeping my knowledge of it
secret because sometimes Japanese people will say something completely inappropriate
that they wouldn't have said around me otherwise. It's hilarious!

oh be careful about that, just the other day I was talking in English and we briefly
mentioned the person sitting next to us (something about where she got her jacket,
really stylish) and she turned on the spot and answered in English...

Actually Koreans can often understand English better than speak it, which makes that
it's easy to misjudge ^_^

qklilx
United States
Joined 5975 days ago

459 posts - 477 votes 
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 78 of 173
06 October 2009 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
I try to be careful. I don't outright talk about the people who can definitely hear us, especially if I can't at least see them and see if they might be trying to listen. I was once at a restaurant and a Korean man nearby made it the most obvious thing in existence that he was trying to get his English listening practice; he was leaning in so much that his chair was on its hind legs and turned his head a little.

And because of my speed even Koreans that know English at least at a conversational level have a difficult time hearing me. About once a month I say something that even my native English friends don't understand.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Wilco
Triglot
Canada
Joined 6119 days ago

160 posts - 247 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Russian

Message 79 of 173
09 November 2009 at 2:45pm | IP Logged 
My girlfriend and I speak russian (she's Chinese, I'm french) and I have to say it's quite useful having our own secret language... It must be very weird for Russian though, having to hear 2 non-natives speaking the language of Pushkin.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Reisender
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5240 days ago

30 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: German*, English, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Latin, Ancient Greek, French

Message 80 of 173
22 December 2009 at 10:23am | IP Logged 
I'm studying in Italy right now and since the people i hang out with come from all over Europe, every language i am capable of speaking eventually turns into a "secret language". Even Italian, oddly enough, since there are a lot of tourists around here who don't understand a single word in Italian.
I remember one time though when a french friend of mine (who doesn't speak English) had a friend coming over who wasn't capable of speaking Italian. So we had this weird situation where we had no shared language spoken by the three of us which we could use. I was talking in Italian with my friend and English with the visitor and they were talking french with each other. I really have to improve my french some day...

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 173 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version