United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5211 days ago

616 posts - 725 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 97 of 173
08 March 2010 at 5:14am | IP Logged 
lackinglatin wrote:
Historically, all practitioners who are not dan wear a white belt. Judo was the first really modernized martial art, a bit over a 100 something years ago, and that guy started using colored belts. Everyone else took after him.

I'd consider it, but I have 3 languages I'm actively studying right now outside of Esperanto, with 32 hours of classes. :)

Someday, though.
I probably won't, unless I am good friends with someone who knows it (a 'speaker'?) or is learning it. And I'm doing too much other stuff right now
1 person has voted this message useful

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5644 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 98 of 173
08 March 2010 at 5:32am | IP Logged 
Just to share something with you guys: Do not use Japanese or Korean in Singapore as secret languages! There are too many people learning these two languages to a point that many people could converse among themselves in these two languages.

I would recommend you to use any Slavic languages as secret languages (including Russian) as I had yet to meet anyone of them (even though the latest statistics said that there are just over 1000 Russians here in Singapore).

Pyx
Diglot
China
Joined 5524 days ago

670 posts - 892 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 99 of 173
08 March 2010 at 5:35am | IP Logged 
QiuJP wrote:
Just to share something with you guys: Do not use Japanese or Korean in Singapore as secret languages! There are too many people learning these two languages to a point that many people could converse among themselves in these two languages.

I'm sensing a good story! Let's hear it! :D
2 persons have voted this message useful

ManicGenius
United States
Joined 5270 days ago

288 posts - 420 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, French, Japanese

Message 100 of 173
16 March 2010 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
QiuJP wrote:
Just to share something with you guys: Do not use Japanese or Korean in Singapore as secret languages!

Considering Japan and Korea's proximity to Singapore, I'd assume it's not a good idea.

QiuJP
Triglot
Singapore
Joined 5644 days ago

428 posts - 597 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, EnglishC2, French
Studies: Czech, GermanB1, Russian, Japanese

Message 101 of 173
19 March 2010 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
ManicGenius wrote:
QiuJP wrote:
Just to share something with you guys: Do not use Japanese or Korean in Singapore as secret languages!

Considering Japan and Korea's proximity to Singapore, I'd assume it's not a good idea.

No, it is rather due to the large amount of cultural products from Japan and Korea in Singapore that is causing the problem. There are many people who liked Japanese and Korean cultural products, to a point that many people are learning the language in order to understand these products better. It can be said that Japanese is the 5th language spoken here. In addition, there are forums here where people discussed how to learn Japanese as well as communicating in Japanese! So due to these reasons, you will be understood if you uttered a word in Japanese!

Alejeather
Triglot
United States
Joined 5127 days ago

9 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian

Message 102 of 173
16 April 2010 at 2:01am | IP Logged 
I sat down by a pair of commuters speaking English on a train in Barcelona one day. I
had already sat down before I heard them speaking but then found myself in the awkward
situation of not knowing whether or not I should give some indication of comprehension.
By the way they were talking, it didn't sound like they thought they were being
understood. They gossiped a bit about their colleagues and about some holiday travels.
We happened to be getting off at the same stop, but when we all stood up at the same
time, they tried to say something in Spanish about me not needing to get up in order
for them to get by, but I said in obvious native English, "No, it's all right. I'm
getting off at this stop too." The look on the one guy's face when he realized that I
must have understood their entire conversation was priceless! I didn't sit there to
eavesdrop, but it was impossible not to.

Also, once in a bookstore in the US, my mom told me she had just overheard a Chinese
man say to his grandson, "Now that's a fun toy, isn't it?" I've always known that my
mom had studied Mandarin, but because she never uses it, it had never occurred to me
that she might be making sense of sounds that were only gibberish to me. She told me
she had liked the man's accent and wanted to compliment it, but hadn't been able to
form the sentence fast enough. I wish she had. It would have been a great moment!
3 persons have voted this message useful

acadien
Triglot
Norway
Joined 6064 days ago

32 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Norwegian
Studies: Spanish, Swedish

Message 103 of 173
17 April 2010 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
Haha! Anyone who uses *English* as a secret language is going to get what's coming to them ^__^
7 persons have voted this message useful

brian91
Ireland
Joined 5233 days ago

335 posts - 437 votes 
Studies: French

Message 104 of 173
17 April 2010 at 1:58pm | IP Logged 
Awesome thread. I would say that Irish is the best secret language abroad, and often in Ireland itself. Nice.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 173 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version