Russian Federation
one-giant-leap.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6281 days ago

465 posts - 696 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, ItalianC1, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Serbian

Message 41 of 173
09 November 2008 at 12:38pm | IP Logged 
Few times I spoke in Italian to my friends being at my work, with my boss sitting next to me, I said that I don't like it and am searching a new one. 2 weeks later I'm not fired yet and am on a good "account" xD

This is actually weird: we're an IT company with clients and project managers in the US, and everybody is supposed to speak English. BUT I see that only me and maybe 1-2 people among 50 are able to speak really fluently. Others are notably worse. We're in a city where many students and graduates learn 2nd/3rd/4th f.l., but here, in IT crowd, it doesn't seem to be the case at all... aie seenk aie undestent not bet, maie eengleesh goot.

Edited by Siberiano on 09 November 2008 at 12:39pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

scop
Diglot
Groupie
Ireland
Joined 5637 days ago

70 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*, Irish
Studies: German, Ancient Greek

Message 42 of 173
19 November 2008 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
For Irish people this one is easy considering that very few people bother to learn our language. Works quite well for talking about the opposite sex or making decisions say about leaving a party early or something.

On a side note Irish prisoners in British jails traditionally spoke in Irish for obvious reasons ;-)
4 persons have voted this message useful

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6060 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 43 of 173
21 November 2008 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
Certain Native American languages were used by US forces in World War II, especially when fighting the Japanese. I believe there is a film about that, though I never saw it. The assumption was that these languages were so obscure that no Japanese would know them.
1 person has voted this message useful

TheMatthias
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6034 days ago

105 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin

Message 44 of 173
21 November 2008 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
The movie was "Windtalkers" and in addition to them using Navajo as the secret language they also created a code
in that language.

Like... Turtle = Tank etc.

So it was a secret code in a secret language!!

Matt
5 persons have voted this message useful

Cisa
Super Polyglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6207 days ago

312 posts - 309 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: Hungarian*, Slovak, FrenchC1, EnglishC2, Mandarin, SpanishB2, RussianB2, GermanB2, Korean, Czech, Latin
Studies: Italian, Cantonese, Japanese, Portuguese, Polish, Hindi, Mongolian, Tibetan, Kazakh, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew

Message 45 of 173
22 November 2008 at 3:15pm | IP Logged 
Haha, my secret language is my native one, I can use it anywhere outside the Hungarian-speaking area, nobody understands what I´m talking about. Of course, when in company I don´t, but it can be really useful if you want to discuss things the "only between us"-way. Some English speaking friends even complained, that I could discuss anthing with my Hungarian roomate, while when they were talking in private and still everybody could understand.... ;)

Edited by Cisa on 22 November 2008 at 3:17pm

Leopejo
Bilingual Triglot
Italy
Joined 5897 days ago

675 posts - 724 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Russian

Message 46 of 173
22 November 2008 at 4:37pm | IP Logged 
Cisa wrote:
Haha, my secret language is my native one, I can use it anywhere outside the Hungarian-speaking area, nobody understands what I´m talking about.

Apart from some obscure common origin, some grammar similarities and a few similar words, Finnish and Hungarian have "being a secret language" in common! ;-)

William Camden
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6060 days ago

1936 posts - 2333 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Russian, Turkish, French

Message 47 of 173
23 November 2008 at 7:28am | IP Logged 
In the recent German-language film The Counterfeiters, there is a scene where a "secret language" is not so secret. The film is set in a concentration camp where Jewish inmates with special skills are set to forging money and documents for the Nazis. One of the workers is turning out substandard work and the SS major in charge of the work asks the man's supervisor, another inmate, what is wrong. The man doing inferior work mutters to the supervisor in Polish that he is really a railway track layer and claimed to have special skills to get transferred from the Sobibor camp. The supervisor tries to cover for the man by saying a special chemical is needed for the work. The SS major listens to this, then speaks in Polish, tells the other man to clear off and says to the supervisor, "Don't try to deceive me again."

synchrollama
Diglot
United States
Joined 5631 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 48 of 173
25 November 2008 at 10:00pm | IP Logged 
owshawng wrote:
My in-laws speak Mandarin and Taiwanese mixed together. Most people
who can speak both languages don't understand them.

There is a substantial Hispanic population at my high school; they speak to each other
in a not-very-articulated mix of Spanish and English. I am fluent in English and
pretty proficient in Spanish (Spanish 3, if that means anything to anybody), and I
have a very difficult time understanding the specifics of what they say.

This discussion contains 173 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version