United States
Joined 5975 days ago

459 posts - 477 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Korean
Personal Language Map

Message 113 of 173
26 April 2010 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
I tend to talk about the people around me all the time in English when I'm in Korea or Japan or around a large group of their people. I never did it at work since sometimes they spoke English but in the countries they rarely understood English, and even the ones who did understand almost never listened anyway. It was fun though, seeing one man in a restaurant LEAN BACK IN HIS CHAIR in an attempt to hear the conversation my friends and I were having. We started making very light-hearted jokes about him to see if he understood but all he did was turn his ear closer to us. Either he understood nothing or was gathering data...

There have been numerous times when Japanese women would say I'm hot or sexy before finding out I knew Japanese. And there was one time when a Korean girl, who I just met through some friends, told those friends that I wasn't attractive (this wasn't a date, luckily). That was our intention before we picked her up, and so my friend asked me in Korean what I thought of her answer and she couldn't look at me after that for a good 10 minutes. hahahaha

It's humorous although also annoying when people will lie to your face about what they or someone else said if they don't know you understood. It doesn't even have to be particularly important.
4 persons have voted this message useful

psy88
United States
Joined 5380 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 114 of 173
27 April 2010 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
This is getting off topic but I need to say it: ReneeMona you have a great outlook on life and people!. Not to sound cliché but things would be a lot better if more people adopted your attitude.I am from New York where people can literally get killed just for looking at a person the "wrong way"
5 persons have voted this message useful

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5124 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 115 of 173
27 April 2010 at 5:11pm | IP Logged 
Wow, psv88, thank you. Sadly, that kind of people exist in the Netherlands as well.

Edited by ReneeMona on 27 April 2010 at 11:49pm

1 person has voted this message useful

markchapman
Diglot
Groupie
Taiwan
tesolzone.com/
Joined 5261 days ago

44 posts - 55 votes 
Speaks: English*, Mandarin
Studies: Portuguese

Message 116 of 173
01 May 2010 at 10:05am | IP Logged 
I've never used a secret language to insult people. If I wanted to do this enough I would do it to their faces. I used
to use Chinese as a secret language to talk about more personal issues in public places. I've stopped doing this now
because too many people in the world speak the language. I think using any of the world's major languages in this
way is dangerous.

I'm a white guy, and I often sit in the metro in Lisbon and listen to Chinese conversations taking place around me.
I've never heard people use the language secretly, as has been described in this thread, but if they did it wouldn't
be as secret as they might think.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5123 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 117 of 173
03 May 2010 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
Two girls who studied French in Orleans at the same time as I did, went to the bank one day. The queue went on for ever, and when it was finally their turn, the lady behind the counter just sat there writing, and did not even look up at them, or ask them to wait for a minute until she was ready. After this had gone on for a few minutes, one of them lost her patience, and said in Norewegian, "Oh come on, move your big fat ass", at which the lady replied calmly in French, still without looking up: "That is exactly what I am doing, young lady."

Needless to say, they got out of that bank double quick, and never came back.

11 persons have voted this message useful

Euphorion
Hexaglot
Czech Republic
Joined 5129 days ago

106 posts - 147 votes 
Speaks: Slovak*, Czech, EnglishC2, GermanC1, SpanishC2, French

Message 118 of 173
07 May 2010 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
When I was a child, me and my parents were flying from Sao Paulo (Brazil) to Frankfurt (Germany) when a black gentleman sat next to us on the plane. He removed his shoes and my father told my mother in Slovak "I hope his feet wont stink". The gentleman looked at him and answered in perfect Czech "Excuse me sir, but I wash myself regularly". Unfortunately there were still 17 hours of flight to go... :)

Btw thats why the Irish appreciate their old language when travelling abroad

Edited by Euphorion on 07 May 2010 at 1:16am

8 persons have voted this message useful

starst
Triglot
China
Joined 5303 days ago

113 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: Mandarin*, Japanese, EnglishC2
Studies: FrenchC1, German, Norwegian

Message 119 of 173
07 May 2010 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
When my boyfriend visited me last week in Tokyo, it did bother me quite much that he constantly expressed his views (mostly not positive) on Japan in public in Chinese. Chinese serves very poor as a secret language in Japan!

Victor Berrjod
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
no.vvb.no/
Joined 4898 days ago

62 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 120 of 173
18 December 2010 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
A friend of mine and I were having a conversation in Japanese at the metro in Oslo. The people who understand Japanese there – especially since most people at this particular one were students – would be people we knew, and there were nobody around. Anyway, I don't remember what we were saying, but suddenly a girl behind me asked (in Japanese) "excuse me, are you speaking Japanese?". We were both surprised, but the girl was very nice, and I met her again later, so it was a good conversation starter.

Now that I'm in university in Japan, we exchange students are using Norwegian as a secret language, and as far as I know, nobody speak Japanese to each other. Maybe they feel everything they say has to be confidential or something, but whenever I say something to them in Japanese, they reply in Norwegian…

This discussion contains 173 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version