173 messages over 22 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 20 ... 21 22 Next >>
psy88
United States
Joined 5380 days ago

469 posts - 882 votes 
Studies: Spanish*, Japanese, Latin, French

Message 153 of 173
06 December 2011 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
This happened to a gentleman I know. He is 95 and went to a new barber shop, the place he normally goes being closed. His hair was just a little longer than usual, but still short by most standards. The shop owner said to the barber, in Italian,"he's new here, he's old charge him extra. He won't know the difference." The owner and the barber were surprised at the end when he said to them, in Italian, "Since I paid extra, I am not going to tip you.And,I will not be back".
13 persons have voted this message useful

GRagazzo
Diglot
United States
Joined 4750 days ago

115 posts - 168 votes 
Speaks: Italian, English*
Studies: Spanish, Swedish, French

Message 154 of 173
06 December 2011 at 5:57am | IP Logged 
While we were on the plane back home from Italy (we were on a connecting flight to
London) there were a group of 7th grade Italian children sitting in front of us. They
were talking about my brother and I, not saying anything bad just commenting on our being
Americans. They were also saying things like, 'did they just say something in Italian?'
to which another responded, 'of course not they're Americans'. So later in the flight I
was talking to my mom in English and told her to say something in Italian to us when we
landed. So when we landed she told my brother, 'non dimentica il tuo libro' (don't forget
your book) and they all went white and started saying 'o dio mio' or Oh my God. It was
pretty funny for me and my family!
6 persons have voted this message useful

5years
Diglot
Tokelau
Joined 4525 days ago

7 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: English, Portuguese*
Studies: Italian

Message 155 of 173
07 December 2011 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
Years ago, I was in London with my sister, who was at that age where kids just love to use swear words (or even words that aren't rude so much as just taboo or silly). We were at a store, and when our father wandered off for a minute or two, my sister of course took the opportunity to start randomly using any words that came to mind. I was a bit embarrassed, and told her to stop, but she pointed out that it was ok because most people wouldn't know what she was saying. I laughed. Suddenly, someone shows up and starts talking to us in our native language (Portuguese). Turns out, she was Spanish but was very fluent in Portuguese as well and understood. She didn't say anything about whatever my sister was saying, I guess she probably just found it amusing.

When I'm abroad somewhere and I'm talking on the phone with someone from home but don't want anyone else to understand what I'm saying, I just start relying heaving on words that are less similar to those of other Romance languages, or using more slang. I also speak more quickly and less clearly (clear enough for the other person to understand what I'm saying).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Xel
United States
Joined 5060 days ago

8 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French

Message 156 of 173
03 March 2012 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
I found this bit a few years ago from this advice column: Dear Prudie

Quote:
Dear Prudie,
I'm a woman in my 20s who has worked hard to learn several languages. Being a linguist has a distinct downside; often I've picked up on "private" conversations that are no longer private. The most troubling example is at work. My building also houses a Japanese firm. Several times, I have been in an elevator with others speaking about me in Japanese, unaware that I understand every word! This also happens in the cafeteria and mailroom. It's embarrassing and can make me feel a range of emotions, from objectified to self-conscious. I have an urge to turn around and say something in Japanese, but I realize that this wouldn't be polite, as they probably assume I'm in the dark. Is there a way to make it known that I understand what they are saying in a professional manner?

—No Domo Arigato

Dear No,
I'm trying to understand the downside here. Your linguistic skills give you the ability of a superhero—you don't have to be invisible to know what everyone is saying about you in "private." If you're in an elevator and a bunch of guys are discussing in Japanese how hot your outfit makes you look, I'm not sure why it's impolite for you to answer back in Japanese, "Thanks, I'm so glad I wore it today. I do understand you didn't like the pants I had on last week." Please, when you do this, have your cell phone ready to get a picture of the looks on their faces.

—Prudie

9 persons have voted this message useful

Mark1003
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 4654 days ago

20 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 157 of 173
17 April 2012 at 1:27pm | IP Logged 
Irish is the ideal language outside of Ireland. I don't think anyone without Irish roots speaks it.

DesEsseintes
Triglot
Ireland
Joined 4971 days ago

33 posts - 68 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, Spanish
Studies: Croatian

Message 158 of 173
17 April 2012 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
Mark1003 wrote:
Irish is the ideal language outside of Ireland. I don't think anyone without Irish roots speaks it.

The main problem being that most Irish people aren't able to express themselves in Irish either (unless they're from the west), which I actually find a bit sad :(

Moniker
Australia
Joined 4391 days ago

14 posts - 15 votes
Studies: Esperanto, FrenchB1

Message 159 of 173
02 May 2012 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
Quote:
On a more positive note, a couple of people have mentioned Sign Language. A problem
with this is that you can't conceal from those around you that you are using it.
However, (and it surprised me on first learning it, to be honest), the SLs of different
language groups are not the same as each other. There is a wonderful film from Germany
called "Jenseits der Stille" about a little girl who has to interpret for her deaf-and-
dumb parents. I learned on the additional material of the DVD that the father was
actually played by an American actor who was deaf-and-dumb, but had to learn the German
version of Sign Language for the part.

This isn't only true of signs developped for different languages. I remember being really surprised to learn that
British Sign Language and American Sign Language evolved independently of each other, and aren't at all
mutually intelligible.

However, it may be possible for American using sign language in France to be eavesdropped on by someone
who understands LSF (la Langue des Signes Française), as ASL evolved from the teachings of a minister
who learned sign language in Paris. Something like 60% of the signs are the same.

It's really interesting stuff.

Edited by Moniker on 02 May 2012 at 11:13am

Travod
United States
Joined 4375 days ago

17 posts - 20 votes
Studies: Japanese

Message 160 of 173
20 May 2012 at 2:21am | IP Logged 
I use Japanese when I'm on the bus with my friend. When I want to text her about someone on the bus I do
it in Japanese because the people sitting next to me are surely reading it :P

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 173 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version