United States
Joined 5141 days ago

77 posts - 97 votes 
Studies: German
Personal Language Map

Message 121 of 173
19 December 2010 at 4:23am | IP Logged 
Victor Berrjod wrote:
A friend of mine and I were having a conversation in Japanese at the metro in Oslo. The
people who understand Japanese there – especially since most people at this particular one were students – would
be people we knew, and there were nobody around. Anyway, I don't remember what we were saying, but suddenly a
girl behind me asked (in Japanese) "excuse me, are you speaking Japanese?". We were both surprised, but the girl
was very nice, and I met her again later, so it was a good conversation starter.

Now that I'm in university in Japan, we exchange students are using Norwegian as a secret language, and as far as I
know, nobody speak Japanese to each other. Maybe they feel everything they say has to be confidential or
something, but whenever I say something to them in Japanese, they reply in Norwegian…

So are you saying all of the Japanese students there are fluent in Norwegian? Wow, I had no idea! (Altho I may be
misunderstanding this!)
1 person has voted this message useful

Victor Berrjod
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
no.vvb.no/
Joined 4898 days ago

62 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 122 of 173
20 December 2010 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
Haha, no, I mean they would be Norwegian people from our Japanese class, so roughly the same level as we were. :)

ReneeMona
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5124 days ago

864 posts - 1274 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, EnglishC2
Studies: French

Message 123 of 173
23 March 2011 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
I remember when I was a kid, I think I was about 11, my after school teachers would sometimes talk about their periods in English to make sure none of us kids understood. They eventually stopped doing that after they noticed how I was always smiling knowingly during those conversations … Little pitchers have big ears, I guess. :)

Phantom Kat
Diglot
United States
Joined 4852 days ago

160 posts - 253 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English
Studies: Finnish

Message 124 of 173
24 March 2011 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
ReneeMona wrote:
I remember when I was a kid, I think I was about 11, my after school teachers would sometimes talk about their periods in English to make sure none of us kids understood. They eventually stopped doing that after they noticed how I was always smiling knowingly during those conversations … Little pitchers have big ears, I guess. :)

Hehe, I don't know about them, but I would have been mortified!

Where I live (south Texas), sometimes you really cannot tell who knows Spanish and who doesn't. Some students are white and do not know Spanish, others came from Mexico and know Spanish, others were raised with Spanish as their native languages, and others were born to Mexican parents but were never taught Spanish. With that in mind, I was sitting in my Pre-Calculus, when one of the guys in front of me said, "You get the the work, right?" I replied with, "Yeah, good enough, but I'm bad at math. If this was an English class I would totally help you." I then went back to my Finnish for Foreigners I.

The guys behind me commented to the guy in Spanish about this, and then one of them said, in Spanish, "Oh yeah, this girl will help you in English because she doesn't know Spanish."

I was shocked they would insult me so outlandishly. Without looking up, I just responded with, "Yo sí entiendo español." They were dumbstruck while I just shook my head at their utter stupidity. :)

- Kat

Edited by Phantom Kat on 24 March 2011 at 5:00am

3 persons have voted this message useful

koba
Heptaglot
AustriaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5657 days ago

118 posts - 201 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Hungarian, French

Message 125 of 173
09 April 2011 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
kerateo wrote:
I just come from doing a backpack tour inside my country (mexico) with some quebec friends. One time one friend and I were seated when a young girl came to do to us a survey, she told us something in Spanish, and I told my friend in french "I´ll pretend that I´m from quebec too", we did the survey in English and asked the girl for her phone number. We invited her out afterwards and asked her to bring friends. It was one of the funniest experiences in my life. They said all kind of things between them in their "secret language" (even sexual). There was a point when I was speaking with one in English when she just said in Spanish "te puedes ligar a la que quieras" (you can hook up with whoever you want). Priceless.

This reminds me of my last experience as a teacher in an English School here in Brazil. In the first week, before even starting to give classes I was asked to join a teenagers classroom for a prank.

I was supposed to be on some kind of exchange program, and as a Dutch man who knew nothing of Portuguese but "Bom dia" and "Obrigado". They all got very excited and they kept asking me questions in English all the time, and foreigners are rarely seen here in this area, so I guess you get the picture of the scene. Specially the girls, one of them said to the class in Portuguese "He's so cute! Oh, I wanna take him to this party tonight and later he's gonna sleep at me!" *laughs across the room* and I could just smirk to them and pretend that I wasn't understanding what was going on.

Oh, she was so embarassed on the next day when she found out that I am actually a Brazilian and understood every word she said!

Edited by koba on 09 April 2011 at 2:21am

6 persons have voted this message useful

peachesdelmonte
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4767 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*, French

Message 126 of 173
09 April 2011 at 4:19am | IP Logged 
I live in Halifax, a city on the east coast in Canada. Mostly people here are monoglot
anglos, but there are a fair few English and French speakers, like myself. Anyway, I was
on the bus the other day, just sort of idly not-listening to a group of kids behind me,
when all of a sudden I heard one of them say to her friend "touche mon plotte" (touch my
c*** in Quebecois French). I sort of gave a start and glanced around at them before I
caught myself. That could have gotten awkward.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4996 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 127 of 173
13 April 2011 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
Good thread, just discovered it. I don't yet have any experiences of using a "secret" language myself but one occasion comes to mind. 4 or 5 years ago, a flatmate had a couple of female French friends staying over. I was introduced to them, and a few minutes later I heard them talking to each other in French and saying I was cute; even with my crappy high-school French I understood that. Unfortunately that was before I had any sort of confidence or skill with women so I wasn't able to... capitalise on the opportunity.

My Italian flatmate and her friends seem to have now realised that I can understand a fair bit of what they say to each other but sometimes I hear something that makes me laugh and it surprises them that I understood.

I'm quite sure that my city's too multicultural to be able to use any Romance or Germanic or Slavic or Asian language as a secret language without risking being understood.

It's probably a matter of when rather than if one of my Russian-speaking workmates will say something negative about me and I'll overhear and perhaps understand...

Marc Frisch
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 6454 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 128 of 173
20 April 2011 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
ReneeMona wrote:
I remember when I was a kid, I think I was about 11, my after school teachers would sometimes talk about their periods in English to make sure none of us kids understood. They eventually stopped doing that after they noticed how I was always smiling knowingly during those conversations

I don't know if I'm more shocked that your teachers would talk about their periods or that you already were afflicted by this at such a young age.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 173 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version