Triglot
Australia
Joined 6731 days ago

335 posts - 365 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German

Message 57 of 173
20 September 2009 at 8:06am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
If you really want to speak a secret language then you have to try some languages that are more isolated and less spoken than both Catalan and Afrikaans - such as Basque or one of the smaller Khoisan languages. Or even better: one of the almost extinct languages that are spoken in Siberia. Or Ainu. Or best of all: a totally extinct language - 'Tocharian A' might be a good choice if you can find someone to share your thoughts with.

Who are you going to speak it with? There is no way you would get your friends, family, girlfriend, etc, together to study such an insignificant language to a useful degree.

If you want to take this path, then the most logical choice would be to invent a language that only you and whoever you want to communicate with can understand, but again, almost nobody would bother going to these lengths.

Iversen wrote:
But frankly, if you are in Australia why not follow in the footsteps of Kenneth Hale and learn Warlpiri? I suppose that you can count the number of 'white' Australians who have bothered to feast on the aboriginal languages on one hand.

Uh-huh, and what's the point of learning a language with a few hundred or (at most) thousand speakers?

There's little enough return on your investment as it is even learning an important world language, to say nothing of the complete dearth of learning materials, and that there are so few speakers that you will have nobody to speak your "secret language" with anyway.

Secret languages must be significant enough that you have someone to speak with, but not so significant that too many of the hoi-polloi can understand you.

Edited by Walshy on 20 September 2009 at 8:33am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5636 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 58 of 173
20 September 2009 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
Turkish people sitting in the tram or bus talking with each other or talking on their mobile phone may always think to speak a "secret language", but now I am able to understand more and more of what they say...

Fasulye
1 person has voted this message useful

Katie
Diglot
Australia
Joined 6507 days ago

495 posts - 599 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hungarian
Studies: French, German

Message 59 of 173
21 September 2009 at 6:44am | IP Logged 
I've found that I speak a nasty little mix of Hungarian & English at times. This is something that has 'formed' over time between my Hungarian friends and I - and neither of us realised it until a couple of months ago.

My friends' little girl was telling me a story about her day in the kindergarten, while the kids I teach were warming up for class. She told her story and I talked with her a little, just as normal. When she left, the kids were staring at me wide-eyed and said "DID YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?!??!". I proceeded to argue with them that the whole conversation was English until my friend (the mother) pointed out that the whole thing had been English & Hungarian mixed together... I hadn't even noticed! Since then, every time one of us does it and the other notices, we laugh at each other... ie "Nem szabad, that's very csunya" "Too hangas vagy! Why?"

It's quite funny because I remember about 4 years ago, we used to laugh at my friends' aunt (who lives in Canada) for her mixed Hungarian-English (ie. a kitchen-ben van ... lol) - and now, we're just as bad.

As for using Hungarian 'properly' - as an example, a few times I've been in a shop and, so that the sales assistant doesn't understand me, I'll say in Hungarian to my friends "that's too expensive, I saw the same thing at another store for $x less" or something like that. I've been lucky enough though to never have any embarassing moments - but at work, I have to remember to be very careful what I say as there is another Hungarian there who would understand! It's also great to be able to 'pull the kids into line' without embarassing them in front of people.

SamD
Triglot
United States
Joined 6448 days ago

823 posts - 987 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 60 of 173
22 September 2009 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
I wonder if Esperantists speak Esperanto as a secret language.

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6228 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 61 of 173
22 September 2009 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
SamD wrote:
I wonder if Esperantists speak Esperanto as a secret language.

I frequently do, in a pretty wide range of circumstances.

modestblues
Bahamas
Joined 5346 days ago

33 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 62 of 173
25 September 2009 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
Ideally you'd learn a lot of well known languages and then speak the most obscure one in the setting you find yourself in. ie speak Mandarin in France, speak Russian in the US, speak Arabic in Japan, speak English by yourself in antartica etc.

Again you'll always need someone to speak with who knows the same languages as you and a secret that needs communicating.

The only way I see secret languages being viable is if you have syblings whom you were raised speaking some obscure language, or if you have a spouse with an obscure native language which you commit to learning.

Edited by modestblues on 26 September 2009 at 3:22am

5 persons have voted this message useful

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5693 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 63 of 173
27 September 2009 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
SamD wrote:
I wonder if Esperantists speak Esperanto as a secret
language.

I frequently do, in a pretty wide range of circumstances.

It's something to watch out for though, if you'd do it in Europe there are places where
people can get the gist of what you're saying cause of the fact that most rootwords come
from romance languages.

In South-Korea it's quite effective though, although we did have a bit of an embarrassing
situation once my friend and I were talking in the airport...

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6228 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 64 of 173
27 September 2009 at 10:59am | IP Logged 
ennime wrote:

It's something to watch out for though, if you'd do it in Europe there are places where
people can get the gist of what you're saying cause of the fact that most rootwords come
from romance languages.

Yes; so far, I've mainly used it in Germanic- and Slavic- language speaking countries. With a little thought, heavy affix use, and the rather non-Romance accent of most speakers, I'm usually not too worried about cognates. The one time I think enough was understood by a third party to be awkward was because of a German cognate - so the problem does happen, but it's fairly minor.

This discussion contains 173 messages over 22 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version