21 [5.60%]
You can not vote in this poll

123 messages over 16 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 ... 15 16 Next >>
Sprachgenie
Decaglot
Germany
Joined 5504 days ago

128 posts - 165 votes 
Speaks: German*, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Faroese, Icelandic, Flemish, Persian, Swiss-German
Studies: English, Belarusian

Message 73 of 123
14 April 2009 at 1:04am | IP Logged 
A polyglot should speak 7 languages on a (very near) native level and none of the languages he speaks can be mutually intelligible with any other in the group.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sennin
Bulgaria
Joined 5829 days ago

1457 posts - 1759 votes 
5 sounds

Message 74 of 123
14 April 2009 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
It seems most people agree with the Wikipedia definition.

Alvinho
Triglot
Brazil
Joined 6029 days ago

828 posts - 832 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English, Spanish

Message 75 of 123
20 August 2009 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
in my view, someone could be hailed as a polyglot as long as they know at least 4 languages plus the mother tongue.

Edited by Alvinho on 20 August 2009 at 10:53pm

tritone
United States
reflectionsinpo
Joined 5915 days ago

246 posts - 385 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, French

Message 77 of 123
21 August 2009 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
I agree that people who speak several very closely related languages shouldn't count.

For me, I can say that studying both Spanish and portuguese is mostly redundant, and if/when I do manage to speak both, I would feel dishonest to say that i spoke 2 foreign languages.

Edited by tritone on 21 August 2009 at 8:58am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 78 of 123
21 August 2009 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
It is clear that it takes much less effort to learn two related languages (which may even be related to your native language). But my solution is not to say that they shouldn't count. To be active in a language you need to study it as a separate entity, i.e. learn its grammar, its idioms and not least its pronunciation. To some extent this even applies to dialects, and some dialects are so far from the 'standard' language and other dialects that it takes a real effort to learn them. So I would count both Spanish and Portuguese, and I might even consider counting Italian and Sicilian.

Furthermore there is a big difference between learning a language well enough to have ordinary conversations and becoming near-native in that language - that also should taking into account, but the only way to do this is to move the treshold upwards if each language is only learnt to basic fluency. So in my opinion one native language plus near-native Mandarin, Swahili and Russian is certainly enough to make a person a polyglot, while one native language plus mediocre Spanish, Portuguese and French doesn't make the cut.

We may set a fixed lower limit, and it can be set fairly low, e.g. 4 languages. But it can only be a necessary, but not sufficient condition. And finally: who cares? You don't get more in salary because someone calls you a polyglot.

Edited by Iversen on 21 August 2009 at 10:03am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Lingua
Decaglot
United States
Joined 5371 days ago

186 posts - 319 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Danish, French, Norwegian, Portuguese, Dutch

Message 79 of 123
21 August 2009 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
In practice the term polyglot seems to be used most often in reference to a person with a smattering of a dozen or more languages.

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5699 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 80 of 123
21 August 2009 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:

We may set a fixed lower limit, and it can be set fairly low, e.g. 4 languages. But it can only be a necessary, but not sufficient condition. And finally: who cares? You don't get more in salary because someone calls you a polyglot.

Well in the US army you do get extra pay I've been told by GIs in Korea ^_^

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 123 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version