Triglot
United States
Joined 5367 days ago

150 posts - 166 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Thai
Studies: French, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 89 of 123
23 August 2009 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
Let's see. English, German, Spanish, French, Portuguese, Italian, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, Hindi,
Arabic. The answer is 12.
1 person has voted this message useful

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4283 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 90 of 123
08 September 2012 at 5:02am | IP Logged 
lengua wrote:
^ Yup. In English, we have three common words for the number of languages someone
speaks:

Monoglot, diglot, triglot (or monolingual, bilingual, trilingual). There are forms for four, five, and so on
languages spoken, but they're so rarely used that almost no one understands, much less remembers them.
That's why we have the word polyglot. I figure once you hit three, anything beyond that puts you into
Linguistic Superman territory in the eyes of the public.

I'd like to subscribe to this way of thinking, because after all, the definition of a word relies on it's usage.
We are trying to define what a polyglot is, so perhaps it's a good approach is to see how it is most
commonly used and understood in the contemporary English language.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 91 of 123
08 September 2012 at 6:49am | IP Logged 
The word "polyglot" isn't just an English word (well, actually it is Greek) so if you use the consensus principle then you will have to operate with different limits, depending on the situation in each country or 'language sphere'. In Denmark knowledge of 3 or 4 languages wouldn't be unusual enough to warrant a special name. 4 og 5 might, but in places like Luxembourg or Bruxelles even that might be too common to mention. And there are countries like India where some people speak English and a number of other languages on a daily basis.

Edited by Iversen on 08 September 2012 at 6:52am

3 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4417 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 92 of 123
08 September 2012 at 8:14am | IP Logged 
I've heard in South Africa it isn't unusual to find ordinary people in the streets who can speak 5 or 6 languages. I guess we are talking language acquisition here, rather than active learning, but it's something that's unknown in many parts of the world.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6377 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 93 of 123
08 September 2012 at 10:37am | IP Logged 
I'm having difficulty deciding whether to vote "At least 2" or "At least 3". Fortunately none of those are alternatives,
so I don't have to choose.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6377 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 

Message 94 of 123
08 September 2012 at 10:40am | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
I've heard in South Africa it isn't unusual to find ordinary people in the streets who can speak 5 or
6 languages. I guess we are talking language acquisition here, rather than active learning, but it's something that's
unknown in many parts of the world.

I once met a woman in Sweden who came from Malaysia. She spoke Malay, Cantonese, Hokkien, Mandarin, Hakka,
English and had then learned Swedish after having moved here. And she wasn't even particularily interested in
languages.

Levi
Pentaglot
United States
Joined 5362 days ago

2268 posts - 3328 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Dutch, Portuguese, Mandarin, Japanese, Italian

Message 95 of 123
08 September 2012 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
If a triangle can be called a polygon, then I think a trilingual person can be called a polyglot.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6377 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 

Message 96 of 123
08 September 2012 at 10:03pm | IP Logged 
Levi wrote:
If a triangle can be called a polygon, then I think a trilingual person can be called a polyglot.

Fats: saturated, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated
Chemical species: monovalent, polyvalent
Material science: Polymorphism, the ability of a solid material to exist in more than one form or crystal structure

It seems to me "poly" sometimes means "more than one". But of course, sometimes it means "more than two" and
sometimes it means "bucketloads", so we can't really analyze it through etymology. Wikipedia says "One could
say "four or more", since speakers of two or three languages are commonly called bilingual and trilingual,
respectively. The term multilingual is similar […] Linguist Richard Hudson uses the term "hyperpolyglot" for a
person who can speak six or more languages fluently."

If six languages makes you a "hyperpolyglot", then four is probably the highest we can make the threshold.

This discussion contains 123 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version