123 messages over 16 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 ... 15 16 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 105 of 123
12 September 2012 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
But who says it's easy for them? They just have no choice most of the time.
2 persons have voted this message useful

gales87
Pentaglot
Spain
Joined 4563 days ago

12 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: Welsh, English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French
Studies: German

Message 106 of 123
22 September 2012 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Not everyone will find related languages transparent enough to fully benefit from them during the learning process.

I agree. I think people in this thread are quick to put down learners of languages from the same family, especially some comments about Spanish and Porutugese. I´m studying Brazilian Portuguese in Spain and the (Spanish) people in my class have great difficulty not only with the grammatical and vocabulary differences but also with pronunciation. Just because a language is from the same family doesn´t mean it has a similar pronunciation.
5 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4416 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 107 of 123
23 September 2012 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
What about groups of languages that are defined politically but are to all intents and purposes mutually intelligible? I'm thinking of Czech/Slovak, some of the Balkans languages, Danish/Swedish/Norwegian and perhaps Dutch/Afrikaans.

Do we allow polyglots to list these languages separately? If so, surely a German polyglot could add Swiss German to his portfolio?

Edited by beano on 23 September 2012 at 11:02am

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4501 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 108 of 123
23 September 2012 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
I can understand Afrikaans but that does not mean I do not require study to speak it. It
still takes time to learn a related language, even though I can rush through most of the
beginners details and the vocabulary with ease.
1 person has voted this message useful

showtime17
Trilingual Hexaglot
Slovakia
gainweightjournal.co
Joined 5878 days ago

154 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Russian, English*, Czech*, Slovak*, French, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian, Polish, Dutch

Message 109 of 123
23 September 2012 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
What about groups of languages that are defined politically but are to all intents and purposes mutually intelligible? I'm thinking of Czech/Slovak, some of the Balkans languages, Danish/Swedish/Norwegian and perhaps Dutch/Afrikaans.

Do we allow polyglots to list these languages separately? If so, surely a German polyglot could add Swiss German to his portfolio?

These languages might be mutually intelligible, however it still takes an effort to actually speak the languages and not to mix them up. For example most Czechs and Slovaks can understand the other language, however they cannot speak it.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 110 of 123
23 September 2012 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
It's all about exposure. Scandinavian kids don't necessarily understand the neighbours' languages, Slovak speakers tend to have more exposure to Czech than vice versa (right?..) and same with Portuguese/Spanish.
And with exposure it's possible to passively learn not THAT closely related languages, like Russian/Polish.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6376 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 111 of 123
24 September 2012 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
I don't understand a word of Danish and speaking it is out of the question. During my one trip there I used English to communicate. I do understand (some dialects of) Norwegian, as long as they speak slowly and articulate, but again I would never be able to speak it without study. The mutual intelligibility of Scandinavian languages are, as Serpent points out, a matter of exposure.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6497 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 112 of 123
24 September 2012 at 11:18am | IP Logged 
The mutual intelligibility of the Scandinavian languages is certainly a matter of exposure, and exposure may not be symmetrical. Furthermore the mutual intelligibility is eroded by the use of English as a common language, as Ari exemplifies. So the ironical thing is that nowadays where you can travel between the countries as easily as within your own country, you can watch TV programs and access the internet and borrow books at the library (or buy them!) in the other Scandinavian languages, the number of people who claim not to understand those languages seems to be on the rise. And that's both sad and idiotic, given how easy it actually is for a person from one of the Nordic countries to learn to understand the others.

I write in English here at HTLAL even to other Scandinavians because this is the rule here. But I would probably refuse point blank to speak in English to other Scandinavians if I met them in the real world (except Finns). Maybe we could communicate if I spoke my homegrown Norwegian or Swedish, and else that person would have to find a person who was more inclined to undermine our common linguistic heritage. And such people are unfortunately fairly common here, so I wouldn't even feel guilty about drawing a line in the sand.

PS: if the other person could speak something more exotic which I also understand that might be a possibility. But not Chinese.

Edited by Iversen on 25 September 2012 at 10:57am

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 123 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version