SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6703 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 41 of 123
31 December 2005 at 8:11am | IP Logged 
Repeating what many others here have said, both many "many" and "fluent" are vague. For some reason it seems that the more languages you know, the higher "fluency" is expected (in every possible topic). I'd say that speaking a foreign language "without having to think" is fluent enough, but my aim is to improve the pronounciation.

I'll vote for four languages, but three would be OK.
1 person has voted this message useful

boaziano
Triglot
Italy
Joined 6754 days ago

21 posts - 21 votes
1 sounds
Speaks: Italian*, Sanskrit, English
Studies: Hindi, Tibetan, Tamil

Message 42 of 123
02 January 2006 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
I joined this - marvellous - family following the Mezzofanti's footprints so I have to vote more than 10... at least! :)

lengua
United States
polyglottery.wordpre
Joined 6478 days ago

549 posts - 595 votes 
Studies: French, Italian, Spanish, German

Message 43 of 123
10 September 2006 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
An interesting topic. Personally, I'd be satisfied with a fluid knowledge of three, but there are no hard and fast rules in this. I am sure, however, that I'd be less than impressed, upon meeting someone, if the person announced himself or herself as a polyglot - regardless of how many languages s/he could speak. There's something to be said for modesty, after all.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6662 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 44 of 123
12 September 2006 at 1:54am | IP Logged 
Well, now that we've opened this up, I think I'll jump on! :-)

There's nothing wrong with being proud of your accomplishments as long as you don't flaunt it in people's faces. In other words, lengua, I agree with what you say about modesty.

A couple of years ago we had a visiting speaker at my university, and he talked about in his travels having learned Portugese, among other languages. After his presentation I went up to him and asked him how many languages he spoke (not to test him, I was just curious, and hoping for advice perhaps) and he responded, a bit dismissively, I thought, "Oh, many!" Maybe he was being truthful, but I did learn something: downplaying your skills might be better than boasting them.

It's a fine line, I think, and sometimes I think I'm too modest, to the point where I actually don't believe in myself enough and don't give my own self enough credit.

This individual did not impress me, although I wonder if maybe he was trying to. That said, I don't really blame people for being impressed by others who have learned foreign languages. To many people, especially where I'm from in the USA, there is something admirable about it: either it being apparent magic of some kind, or the willingness to take on so much work that is required, or a bit of both.

Of course, to many others, I'm sure they wonder why we do it at all! ;-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

patuco
Diglot
Gibraltar
Joined 6809 days ago

3795 posts - 4268 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, English*
Personal Language Map

Message 45 of 123
12 September 2006 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
Journeyer wrote:
I went up to him and asked him how many languages he spoke (not to test him, I was just curious, and hoping for advice perhaps) and he responded, a bit dismissively, I thought, "Oh, many!" Maybe he was being truthful...

I think that if he was really trying not to show-off, then he could have said "I've picked up a few here and there".

Journeyer wrote:
...downplaying your skills might be better than boasting them.

Definitely!

el topo
Diglot
Groupie
Belgium
Joined 6554 days ago

66 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 46 of 123
12 September 2006 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
I couldn't care less about the precise definition of a polyglot. For me a polyglot is someone who speaks many languages, but how many is a matter of opinion. Back in Russia, I would consider everyone speaking two foreign languages a polyglot, simply because I didn't know anyone personally who was fluent in even one foreign language. Here in Belgium speaking three languages is absolutely normal, something that is not seen as a big achievement.

Journeyer
Triglot
United States
tristan85.blogspot.c
Joined 6662 days ago

946 posts - 1110 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, German
Studies: Sign Language

Message 47 of 123
12 September 2006 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
I don't see why geography nor how the individual was brought up should have any impact on whether or not s/he is a polyglot. To me, a polyglot is a person who speaks several languages (I'm my view four or more, but that's more or less beside the point I'm making here). A polyglot defines *how many* languages a person speaks, not *how* they learned them. I don't care so much if the person lives in the middle of an environment that is primarily monolingual for hundreds of miles in every direction (like where I live) or if they are from a country where it's normal to have several languages learned. If in Belgium it's normal to speak three or more languages, then in my view Belgium is a nation of polyglots. :D

el topo
Diglot
Groupie
Belgium
Joined 6554 days ago

66 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 48 of 123
13 September 2006 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
Journeyer, I didn't mean to say that whether you are a polyglot or not depends on your upbringing and place of birth. All I wanted to say is that in different parts of the world the number of languages spoken by someone that impresses people may be different. You yourself said that in your view it's four or more, probably because speaking 4 languages is impressive to you. Others may have a different criterion, because for them being able to speak 4 languages is not that big a deal. And this does depend on afore-mentioned circumstances.

This discussion contains 123 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version