reflectionsinpo
Joined 5914 days ago

246 posts - 385 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, French

Message 81 of 123
21 August 2009 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
ymapazagain wrote:
In Australia (my home country) it is a once in a life time experience to meet someone who speaks a language fluently other than their mother tongue or a language passed to them through family circumstances.

wow same here(U.S.A). It must be this way in the entire English speaking world.
3 persons have voted this message useful

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5873 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 82 of 123
21 August 2009 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
It's decently rare here in Norway as well. In fact I can't think of anyone I've ever met here who speaks another language fluent without a "good reason" such as immigrated from the country, family from the country or married to someone from the country.

I would consider a person who has an advanced fluency in four languages to be a polyglot.
1 person has voted this message useful

Lizzern
Diglot
Norway
Joined 5703 days ago

791 posts - 1053 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese

Message 83 of 123
21 August 2009 at 7:00pm | IP Logged 
mrhenrik wrote:
It's decently rare here in Norway as well. In fact I can't think of anyone I've ever met here who speaks another language fluent without a "good reason" such as immigrated from the country, family from the country or married to someone from the country.

Not the same thing as someone in an English-speaking country who speaks nothing but English - the majority of people in Norway are at the very least functional in English, so we're not a monolingual country. You're right though, the people who speak a third language well are few and far between. (The school system is essentially to blame for this - if languages were taught well in school it's likely that the majority of people would be functionally fluent in one of German, French or Spanish, by the time they graduate high school. But that's not the case, is it...)

Liz

Edited by Lizzern on 21 August 2009 at 7:02pm

numerodix
Trilingual Hexaglot
Netherlands
Joined 6577 days ago

856 posts - 1226 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2*, Norwegian*, Polish*, Italian, Dutch, French
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin

Message 84 of 123
21 August 2009 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Lizzern wrote:

Not the same thing as someone in an English-speaking country who speaks nothing but English - the majority of people in Norway are at the very least functional in English, so we're not a monolingual country. You're right though, the people who speak a third language well are few and far between. (The school system is essentially to blame for this - if languages were taught well in school it's likely that the majority of people would be functionally fluent in one of German, French or Spanish, by the time they graduate high school. But that's not the case, is it...)

Liz

The level of language literacy can be gauged to some extent by watching the media I think. How often do you find any language besides English used in, say, television programs? At most you'll find some off the cuff phrase in German that probably reflects the general level of German comprehension of junior high graduates (I took French which I suspect is taught at a far worse level still). And some people in the audience will get it and laugh, others will not. Better yet, how often do you find full length tv programs in a foreign language? Besides filler programming like "Helene et les garcons", I don't count that stuff. NRK broadcasts the occasional intellectual program, but besides that they have a lot of filler. They could easily have a slot for a foreign program if there were an audience for it.

On the plus side, English literacy is on the rise in Norway and I'm pleased about that.

tritone
United States
reflectionsinpo
Joined 5914 days ago

246 posts - 385 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, French

Message 85 of 123
22 August 2009 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
mrhenrik wrote:

really?

I was under the impression that nearly all Scandinavians spoke English fluently.

mrhenrik
Triglot
Norway
Joined 5873 days ago

482 posts - 658 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, French
Personal Language Map

Message 86 of 123
22 August 2009 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
Hum. That's me sleeping to little last night. I think of English like Norwegian almost - yes all Norwegians speak quite good English. Not fluently though - I'd say - and with a heavy accent.

habadzi
Super Polyglot
Greece
Joined 5368 days ago

70 posts - 106 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Hindi, French, German, Italian, Ancient Greek, Modern Hebrew, Arabic (classical), Indonesian, Bengali, Albanian, Nepali

Message 87 of 123
22 August 2009 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
In 1990, the Polyglot of Europe contest held in Belgium had a minimum requirement of 9 languages in decent shape. Since then, the level of general education has gone up, so expectations are probably increasing. 10 languages are not a very rare event any longer.

It's also arguable what is a language, since some are really closely related and in the absence of politics would be dialects. So someone speaking speaking several unrelated language families with different scripts would have worked harder than someone speaking a set of romance, Germanic or slavic languages (e.g. Catalan, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French; russian, bulgarian, serbian, 'macedonian', polish, ukranian etc.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

ennime
Tetraglot
South Africa
universityofbrokengl
Joined 5698 days ago

397 posts - 507 votes 
Speaks: English, Dutch*, Esperanto, Afrikaans
Studies: Xhosa, French, Korean, Portuguese, Zulu

Message 88 of 123
22 August 2009 at 1:14am | IP Logged 
habadzi wrote:
In 1990, the Polyglot of Europe contest held in Belgium had a minimum requirement of 9 languages in decent shape. Since then, the level of general education has gone up, so expectations are probably increasing. 10 languages are not a very rare event any longer.

Hmmm growing up in Belgium I've never met someone who could speak 10 languages decently (decently being basic fluency). 4-5 languages however is quite common from my experience.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 123 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version