United Kingdom
youtube.com/user/Lan
Joined 4894 days ago

174 posts - 267 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese, Thai

Message 97 of 123
10 September 2012 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
I would say 4 or more, seeing as you have monolingual, bilingual and trilingual so that the amount of languages that a person speaks being four or more would make said person a 'polyglot' then if you speak a certain number you could then be named a hyperpolyglot or superpolyglot ...
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6497 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 98 of 123
10 September 2012 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
If six languages makes you a "hyperpolyglot", then you shouldn't use that word.

Erard chose the number eleven because his enquiry showed that there are relative few persons who claim that many languages, but even this isn't an absolute limit, just some kind of rule of thumb based on practical considerations.

Edited by Iversen on 10 September 2012 at 8:11pm

leonidus
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6120 days ago

113 posts - 123 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, French
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 99 of 123
10 September 2012 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
I would say, 5 languages (including your native tongue) with no less than B2 level in all of them makes you a polyglot. There should not be more than 2 languages from the closely related language families (Spanish, Italian, Portuguese bunch, for example), so no discounts here.

10 languages makes you a hyperpolyglot, again no less than B2 level.

Having said that, I am still working on my Mandarin and German to upgrade their B1 status to something more meaningful, thus can't wear the badge of polyglot just yet :)

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6703 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 100 of 123
10 September 2012 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
While I agree that a polyglot should have working knowledge in a "handful" languages (and more languages for a "hyperpolyglot", if the term is important), it's still not an easy question to answer.

Is the person who has worked hard to learn half a dozen Romance languages really less of a polyglot than someone who has picked up half a dozen unrelated languages during childhood?

Not everyone will find related languages transparent enough to fully benefit from them during the learning process.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 101 of 123
10 September 2012 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Not everyone will find related languages transparent enough to fully benefit from them during the learning process.
This is so true! People in our class (who learned French) would giggle when the teacher told them about the similarities between French and Latin.
And I myself never considered words like "brother" and "brat" (Russian, same meaning) similar, not before I started learning Finnish:)

leonidus
Triglot
Russian Federation
Joined 6120 days ago

113 posts - 123 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English, French
Studies: German, Mandarin

Message 102 of 123
11 September 2012 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
someone who has picked up half a dozen unrelated languages during childhood?

Wow, I'd like to see someone like that, someone who has at least B2 level in half a dozen languages just by hearing them as a child, without any of the hard work that any adult learner has to do.

But unrelated is unrelated, of course, this is all relative too, like the example from Serpent's post above, and everyone has their own standards of what is a true polyglot.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6703 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 103 of 123
11 September 2012 at 5:56pm | IP Logged 
Well, considering how (relatively) common it is to speak several languages in certain parts of the world, I wouldn't be surprised if there are people who have learned several semi-official languages in their town without even realizing it would be a difficult task for us other mortals.
2 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4459 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 104 of 123
12 September 2012 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Well, considering how (relatively) common it is to speak
several languages in certain parts of the world, I wouldn't be surprised if there are
people who have learned several semi-official languages in their town without even
realizing it would be a difficult task for us other mortals.

If I spoke language A at home, B with the locals and C in the office I expect that I'd
be trilingual with little effort. Given the same circumstances, the rest of us mortals
would probably manage it too.

I suspect that language learning later on is tougher because we have so many other
things to do with our time *and* we expect rapid results *and* we already know how to
say pretty much everything in languages A, B and C which highlights our lack of
proficiency in language D every time we try to speak.

Kids have it easy: time on their hands and not bright enough to know their own
limitations :-)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 123 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version