1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 185 of 222
06 February 2011 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
Huliganov wrote:
aerozeplyn wrote:
i am currently using the gold list method to help me with recognizing/writing Kanji characters. i've been doing this
routine for about a couple of months...err, a little less than that :) this method is working SWEET for me. however, it
definitely works best when i am patient about it...and when i work on it while i am in a calm, happy mood. after all,
"long term" methods are meant to be patient anyways. the gold list method ROCKs--just keep reminding yourself
every 2-4 weeks :)

Great to hear that! Many thanks.

I read that you are writing a book about this method. When are you going to finish it?

1 person has voted this message useful

Victor Berrjod
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
no.vvb.no/
Joined 5032 days ago

62 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 186 of 222
22 February 2011 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
After using the Goldlist method for several months, I can report a high degree of satisfaction with it. :)

There are some thing I've found, though, that might ruin your experiences with it. The first one is trying to remember too much at once. I started out with this format:

寮 (りょう) – dormitory
紹介 (しょうかい) – introduction

So I tried to remember both the kanji, reading, and meaning for each entry, and faced some difficulties when distilling because of that. If I forgot one thing for each entry, I'd have too much left to do do a proper distillation, and I'd get discouraged. That's why I switched to this format:

寮 – りょう
寮 – dormitory
紹介 – しょうかい
紹介 – introduction

This way, I got much less information on each page, and distillations became much easier.

I faced a similar problem with Ancient Greek. I'm studying both Japanese and Ancient Greek in university, so my sources of vocabulary have been the books I'm using. For Greek, I was very disappointed with the normal vocabulary lists, which kept repeating words that I'd already entered, so I just skipped to the vocabulary list in the back of the book, which was more like a dictionary. That was fine in itself, but because a dictionary tries to compile as much information as possible, I found myself spending way too much time writing down and trying to remember information I didn't need, at least not yet. Among other things, the irregular forms of verbs I didn't even know yet were impossible to remember, so I decided to leave them out during distillations. That way, I can focus on learning all the other words first, and then come back to such irregularities.

Another thing is that motivation plays a huge role. That's why I didn't remember any of the irregular verb forms; I totally didn't care about them yet, so I had no motivation to learn them. Also, since I'm more motivated to learn Japanese than Ancient Greek, those distillations generally go smoother, and in the later distillations I tend to actually run out of words, so I end up listing a few words that I actually know, but reversing their order or something, so:

dormitory – 寮
introduction – 紹介

I can honestly say that if I were to try remembering tons of information that I didn't really care about by using the Goldlist method, I would almost certainly fail. That's probably true for other people as well. :)

Thank you for teaching us this great method, Huliganov!
4 persons have voted this message useful

Kahnkanter
Bilingual Diglot
Australia
Joined 4930 days ago

1 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*, Cantonese*

Message 187 of 222
17 March 2011 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
I have gone through all 24 pages of messages on this forum.
In a concise summary, it has been:

'Who's tried this? Does it work?'
Most say no. Some say no as in they will give it a shot. Others say no as in not
interested, confused by instructions, unwilling to try.

Slowly, some have tried. Some says it does not deliver. Others mod it.
Certain members give off steam. Some of them pick off semantics of the instructions,
some of them on empiricism.

Towards the end, it is more back and forth discussion between original distributor
(Huliganov) and a few others who are trying it with mild to good satisfaction. There
are haikus (poems in 5, 7, 5 syllables) for Kanji(borrowed Chinese characters in
Japanese)

Here are some haikus of my own:
(in summary)
This list - lead or gold?
Think and try with mind open
Only then will you know

(kanji puzzle)
Inside the two doors
Is a heart stuck shut inside
what monotony

(kanji puzzle)
Put on a platform
With some water on the side
it becomes treatment
2 persons have voted this message useful

PurGlossa
China
Joined 4863 days ago

7 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Mandarin

Message 188 of 222
24 May 2011 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
Update? Have a the first of a three part series supposed to teach 3000 HSK words (汉语水平考试) because I will be studying and testing this Fall-Spring. Going to grab the other 2 before I leave China for the summer. I decided L-R method and vocab probably a good idea while I can't be around native speakers. I would say I am intermediate right now, but my reading has not been too hot and my hand-writing has been horrible. Able to speak Mandarin + phone/computer = no need to write =-/... except for the HSK.

Anyhow, just want to know how people are doing with this method so I can gauge if I will use it. Thanks!

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5304 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 189 of 222
24 May 2011 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
Since Huliganov has insisted that his Gold List works and since most people have disagreed with him, I'm going to assume that Huliganov may not have realized (or explained) what it is that makes the method work for him. In other words, the key is probably what he does while he writes or "distills" the lists rather than the lists themselves.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Victor Berrjod
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
no.vvb.no/
Joined 5032 days ago

62 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 190 of 222
24 May 2011 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
@PurGlossa: It seems to be working well for my Mandarin vocabulary so far. :)

aerozeplyn
United States
Joined 5071 days ago

141 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 191 of 222
24 May 2011 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu,
on the gold list method, Huliganov's explanation is rather long and doesn't appear planned out at all. a
consequence to this may be people not fully understanding the method; after all, it needs to be communicated
properly. I feel that perhaps some people aren't following the "extra" pieces of information he gives. for example,
some things that I strongly feel are VERY important for something like this to work: 1) keep a calm, peaceful
mindset (it's crazy how much more information you pull in when you're calm, peaceful, focused!); 2) do not rush
(also messed with the whole calm/peaceful thing); and 3) be mindful of the experience and enjoy writing the
words/sentences down.

slucido wrote:

I read that you are writing a book about this method. When are you going to finish it?

I'm not sure if your response is to me or Huliganov, but in case I mentioned the book I'm writing--on a little
vacation from that now to forcus more on Mandarin!--I wanted to let you know that while my book is on rapid
learning and rapid improvement, most of the information is applied to cognitive functions and the drumset. since
i'm a drum teacher :D

i'm not sure if Huliganov said he was writing a book, but if so i'd be interested to read what he has to say.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5304 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 192 of 222
24 May 2011 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
aerozeplyn wrote:
for example,
some things that I strongly feel are VERY important for something like this to work: 1) keep a calm, peaceful mindset (it's crazy how much more information you pull in when you're calm, peaceful, focused!); 2) do not rush (also messed with the whole calm/peaceful thing); and 3) be mindful of the experience and enjoy writing the
words/sentences down.

That has nothing to do with Huliganov; that's just commonsense.

This discussion contains 222 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version