United States
luai-lashire.deviant
Joined 5622 days ago

384 posts - 560 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto
Studies: Japanese, French

Message 97 of 162
26 February 2010 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for resurrecting this thread, senor_smile, it is very cool! I see that there is no entry for Japanese- my
Japanese is not that great but I think I could translate the first two dialogues at least.

I haven't used it in a while, but I have an account at Wikiversity, where I know there were some attempts at making
language courses. I think the Wikiversity community would be thrilled to see these courses imported there and
maybe some collaboration with them could begin. If it's alright with others, I could begin copying the pages.
1 person has voted this message useful

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6180 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Russian

Message 98 of 162
27 February 2010 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
I studied japanese and was to the level a couple years ago that I could possibly pass JLPT 3. I have Japanese friends though that I can just ask them to assist. I shall add a section at once!

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5936 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 99 of 162
27 February 2010 at 6:55am | IP Logged 
Lesson 1 - Modern Greek

Άννα: Γεια σου Τομ!
Τομ: Γεια σου Άννα! Τί κάνεις;
Άννα: Είμαι καλά, κι εσύ;
Τομ: Είμαι πολύ καλά, ευχαριστώ. Πρέπει να φύγω. Γεια!
Άννα: Γεια!

Extra: Καλημέρα! Χαίρετε! Καλησπέρα! Καληνύχτα!

PRONUNCIATION:

Ánna: Ya su Tom!
Tom: Ya su Ánna! Ti kánis?
Ánna: Íme kalá, ki esí?
Tom: Íme polí kalá, efcharistó. Prépi na fígho. Ya!
Ánna: Ya!

Extra: Kaliméra! Chyérete. Kalispéra. Kaliníchta.

Note: In Greek, the subject pronouns are generally omitted because the verb form shows who does the action. When something is transliterated as ‘ch,’ it refers to the sound of the same letters in German. For ‘gh,’ it refers to a sound not unlike a French ‘r,’ but as a ‘g’ sound.

--
I'd do more, but that's all I have time for now...

Edited by ellasevia on 27 February 2010 at 6:56am

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6180 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 

Message 100 of 162
27 February 2010 at 7:10am | IP Logged 
Added. Thanks!

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6180 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 

Message 101 of 162
27 February 2010 at 7:36am | IP Logged 
Japanese lesson 1 entered. I did it all myself, so I'm still waiting on my native friend to verify.

peppelanguage
Triglot
Groupie
ItalyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5658 days ago

90 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, English
Studies: French, Swedish

Message 102 of 162
27 February 2010 at 11:51am | IP Logged 
Hi everybody...Nice to see the thread re-born!!! But I don't have the link of the wiki anymore...could anyone post it so that I can check at what point are we with Italian??? Of course I'll help at my best :)

p.s. in this period I'm writing my thesis, starting on the 26-27th of march I will have more time for it...but in the meanwhile, maybe I can do something... :)

Keep up the good work,

peppelanguage

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6264 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 103 of 162
27 February 2010 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
It's great to see this thread resurrected! Senor_smile, thank you for your work,
especially for the people who aren't comfortable editing a wiki.

Right now there are only four translations of lesson 4 and for a lot of languages we
only have lesson 1. Once there are more translations for the other lessons, I shall be
glad to develop further lessons and complete the A1 level; I just want to know that
people will stay on to translate those.

I am not a fan of moving this project to Wikibooks or Wikiversity. I love the basic
idea, but I invested many hours on three courses there (Modern Greek alphabet course,
Korean alphabet course and BLL German A1) and the results were very discouraging.
* 2 of these 3 did not have anybody else contributing to them (other than fixing
spelling or adding category information), despite very clear suggestions for various
ways people could contribute;
* 2 of these 3 were later messed up, as in remixed without regard to the intended goal
or methodology, and without any additional learning materials added;
I've surveyed a lot of language-related Wikibooks and counseled some, but they all show
the same patterns: incomplete, abandoned, and, unless they are single-person efforts,
each lesson uses a different methodology and no lesson is aware of what the previous
lesson taught. The most valuable language Wikibook is the one on Miskito, because it's
a single-person effort and that single person actually knew what he was doing. Putting
it on Wikibooks wasn't a good idea though because now it's a pearl few people will
find. I can't think of any other useful language Wikibook, unless you're looking for
disconnected grammar explanations or vocabulary lists. It is really sad.

Peppe, this project's wiki and overview page is
here.
Use this to easily see which lessons are available in which languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

senor_smile
Diglot
United States
Joined 6180 days ago

110 posts - 115 votes 

Message 104 of 162
27 February 2010 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
I have to admit that I never actually edited a wiki before, but the markup seems easy enough to figure out for anyone familiar with any programming. In fact, it must be the simplest in existence, imho.

I am willing to oversee the entire project. I do have my own ideas of what's best, but I also believe that including as many different kinds of "learning methodologies" while keeping it very simple, like it is now, would be the best way to allow the course to appeal to practically any learner. E.g. I really could care less about have vocabulary lists, but some people can't learn without them. I think it would be great to be able to have an automatically collapsed metalink to the vocab for each section. That way it wouldn't show by default, keeping the simplistic look as it is, but it would be immediately available for each lesson without having to click through too many links. I of course have no idea how to implement this. I shall have to do a little reading on the markup language of wiki's to figure some of this out. I saw the help links posted on the main page, so I have a good start.

This discussion contains 162 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version