United States
atariage.com
Joined 5890 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*
Studies: French, German

Message 153 of 162
02 January 2011 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
It is nice to see this old topic again. :-) It seems to me that this "Assimil" project needs a few things.

1: More lessons. This is obvious, really. Assimil has 100 lessons, so this would need some similar amount.

2: Even if each lesson remains very short (personally, I think they should be a bit longer), there should be more extras or quizzes. Assimil lessons have several practice sentences/questions per lesson.

3: More humor. Simple, light-hearted jokes are also a part of Assimil.

4: AUDIO. The system is an empty shell of itself without the audio.

5: The overall course should be charted/planned. I don't remember the how this topic was decided earlier, but obviously, there must be a structure to it, certain topics in a certain order. This could be
a) write/finish a Version 1 to "get it done" then adjust it later. The original does not need to be perfect, improvements can come over time. or
b) adapt a non-copyrighted source into the lessons. Checking gutenberg.org - there are many old Esperanto books that may work, or Studien & Plauderein. Maybe someone has a "perfect" old text to adapt-one with characters and humor and a progressing vocabulary difficulty, etc. (...An Esperanto at youtube.com - "Universala Esperanto Metodo" might be adaptable, but it isn't really a "story"...)

Anyway, I think that adapting an old series might be easier than writing from scratch. Audio can be done by people here, even different voices with different cadences/rhythms, etc.

Technically, Audacity can record & manipulate the audio and Ghostscript (or CutePDF) can make the acrobat reader files. These items are free and relatively easy to use.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tornus
Diglot
GroupieRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4931 days ago

82 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Swedish, Danish

Message 154 of 162
02 January 2011 at 3:16pm | IP Logged 
I completly agree. this project needs a huge amount of work so it needs lot of people to make it ( it needs both natives and English people to correct English explanation if they are). a wiki would be a good idea to enable everyone to participate at anytime. and for the PDF version, good idea, but a pdf version would be only a final version which can't be modified, a wiki would be better.

we have to rename the project, we're not making a copy of assimil, that would be stupid, it can be inspired by assimil, but we have to create our own concepts.

we can't write dialog that fit with every language, i think we should write a short description of the lesson with a model, but translator should be free to modify it
eg: lesson 1: greetings, and basic sentence.
lesson 2: dialog in which people introduce themselves.
lesson 3: negation, and how to express taste, "i like ..."
lesson 4: how to express capacity
lesson 5: learn a song

Besides, lessons should make us discover a new culture, all the customs and habits, its litterature/cinema/music, ...

we don't have to wait the topic creator to write the following lessons, it's not his job, it's too much work for him, we can take initiave.

Thumb up our messages if you find we have good ideas. I will wait for it before begining preparing more the project
4 persons have voted this message useful

pigsonfire
United States
Joined 4863 days ago

26 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Cantonese

Message 155 of 162
02 January 2011 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
RedBeard wrote:
It is nice to see this old topic again. :-) It seems to me that this "Assimil" project needs a few things.

1: More lessons. This is obvious, really. Assimil has 100 lessons, so this would need some similar amount.

2: Even if each lesson remains very short (personally, I think they should be a bit longer), there should be more extras or quizzes. Assimil lessons have several practice sentences/questions per lesson.

3: More humor. Simple, light-hearted jokes are also a part of Assimil.

4: AUDIO. The system is an empty shell of itself without the audio.

5: The overall course should be charted/planned. I don't remember the how this topic was decided earlier, but obviously, there must be a structure to it, certain topics in a certain order. .

I totally , totally agree!

That's what makes assimil so great!!
1 person has voted this message useful

peppelanguage
Triglot
Groupie
ItalyRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5652 days ago

90 posts - 94 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, English
Studies: French, Swedish

Message 156 of 162
02 January 2011 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
tornus wrote:
I completly agree. this project needs a huge amount of work so it needs lot of people to make it ( it needs both natives and English people to correct English explanation if they are). a wiki would be a good idea to enable everyone to participate at anytime. and for the PDF version, good idea, but a pdf version would be only a final version which can't be modified, a wiki would be better.

we have to rename the project, we're not making a copy of assimil, that would be stupid, it can be inspired by assimil, but we have to create our own concepts.

we can't write dialog that fit with every language, i think we should write a short description of the lesson with a model, but translator should be free to modify it
eg: lesson 1: greetings, and basic sentence.
lesson 2: dialog in which people introduce themselves.
lesson 3: negation, and how to express taste, "i like ..."
lesson 4: how to express capacity
lesson 5: learn a song

Besides, lessons should make us discover a new culture, all the customs and habits, its litterature/cinema/music, ...

we don't have to wait the topic creator to write the following lessons, it's not his job, it's too much work for him, we can take initiave.

Thumb up our messages if you find we have good ideas. I will wait for it before begining preparing more the project

again, I agree with tornus :)
Just to let you know, it already exists a wiki created by HTLAL members..here's the link:

http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Learn_Any_Language

we may add "Our own Assimil" there...and work there...and after finishing something (new lessons, explanations, excercises etc...) add the lessons to the link where all the lessons are grouped now...

Shall we decide the "model" of the book? :) (1st lesson: A, 2nd lesson: B etc..) ??

ericblair
United States
Joined 4499 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Studies: French

Message 157 of 162
07 February 2012 at 5:50am | IP Logged 
Just came across this. This is really awesome!! I love the concept and that everyone got
on board to start this. I wish I was bilingual or more so I could help!

Kugel
United States
Joined 6326 days ago

497 posts - 555 votes 

Message 158 of 162
07 February 2012 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
A useful site for listening to poetry Poetry outloud

This seems to be a fairly easy setup for having 20-30 lines with audio. It's perfect for a Assimil inspired project.

Globe-trotter
Triglot
Netherlands
Joined 4385 days ago

29 posts - 44 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German
Studies: Thai

Message 159 of 162
11 July 2012 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
This is really a great project, and we should continue with it. Maybe we could turn it
into a couple of Wikibooks?

haziz
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3650 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)*, English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 160 of 162
10 May 2014 at 7:31am | IP Logged 
BGreco wrote:
I would change "I'm well" to "I'm good." Nobody says "I'm well," and unless you are actually
talking about being ill, "I'm good" is more correct.

I disagree. I would say "I am well" or "I am fine" but am unlikely to use "I am good" in this context.

This discussion contains 162 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version