Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6228 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 10 of 162
07 November 2008 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
My Esperanto is not good; I wouldn't dare propose the following translations if I didn't know that Sprachprofi is fluent. Hopefully any necessary revisions will be less work than rewriting the translations from scratch, and hopefully the notes can be of some help.

Lesson 1 - Esperanto

Anna: Saluton Tom!
Tom: Saluton Anna! Kiel vi fartas? (1)
Anna: Mi fartas bone, kaj vi? (2) (3)
Tom: Mi estas tre bone, dankon. Mi devas iri. Ĝis revido! (4) (5)
Anna: Ĝis! (6)

Ekstra: Bonan matenon! Bonan posttagmezon! Bonan vesperon! Bonan nokton!

1) Literally: How (in what manner) do you fare?
2) Literally: I fare well, and you?
3) Pronunciation of Esperanto can be fairly similar to English, with a few exceptions. "Kaj" ("and") approximately rhymes with the English 'sky' or 'guy'; the Esperanto 'j' is more like a 'y' than an English j.
4) 'Ĝ' is pronounced somewhat like the English 'j'. Ĝis is approximately pronounced 'Jiss', rhyming with 'hiss'.
5) Ĝis revido = Until again-see. The Esperanto use of the 're' prefix parallels English.
6) Ĝis = Until. It's a shorter and more colloquial way to express 'bye'.

A fairly wide range of accents are acceptable in Esperanto, and the large majority of speakers do not speak it natively. It's good to make an effort to not speak it exactly as English (refer to any Esperanto recordings), but the concept of good Esperanto pronunciation does not entirely parallel that of other languages.

Lesson 2 - Esperanto

Tom alvenas al fervoja stacidomo en alia urbo, kie li devas renkonti Alex. Ili konas unu la alia de forumo kaj ili renkontas sen retumi pro la unua fojo.

Tom: Pardonu min. Ĉu vi estas Alex? (1) (2)
Viro 1: Ne, mi ne estas. (3)
Tom: Ho, mi bedaŭras.
Viro 1: Ne problemas.
Viro 2 (promenadas al Tom): Saluton!
Tom: Saluton Alex! Mia nomo estas Tom, kaj mi venas de Kanado.
Man 2: Mi bedaŭras, mi ne estas Alex. Ŝi estas tie.
Tom: Ŝi??? Alex estas virino? (4)

(1) English changes statements to questions without using "question words" (who, where, what, why, when, how) by inverting words: "You are Alex. Are you Alex?". Esperanto is easier: you simply start the question with 'ĉu', and everything else stays the same. "Ĉu" is pronounced approximately like "chew" in English, or like the sound of a train - "tchoo tchoo" - but without the t.
(2) The Esperanto copula is almost identical to the English one, but easier: it's the same no matter who it refers to. The verb in "I am, you are, he/she is" is always "estas" in Esperanto, and it's used to link things in the same way.
3) Similarly, the negation of the copula is very simple: just put 'ne' before it, which makes 'ne estas' - it's like putting not after it in English.
4) Esperanto uses affixes (small sounds that change the meaning of words and go before or after them) heavily. '-in-' is the suffix that makes a noun refer to a female: hence, because 'viro' means man, 'virino' means woman.

2 persons have voted this message useful

BGreco
Joined 6182 days ago

211 posts - 222 votes 
3 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 11 of 162
07 November 2008 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
Another input from a native English speaker: Nobody knows what the word "copula" means.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6228 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 12 of 162
07 November 2008 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
A few things:

1) Perhaps transcriptions for non-Latin alphabets should be given?

2) The second lesson is hard to translate in parts, as others have noted. I like the way that it's handled by the Italian translation - "in person"/"face to face" and so forth should translate, while 'offline' is a bit of a neologism. Perhaps the English should use "in person"?

Similarly, "see you later" is quite nuanced and hard to preserve exactly across languages; I don't think it really belongs in the first lesson - "see you this evening", "see you tonight", or "goodbye" would probably be better.

"No problem" also doesn't translate particularly literally. I might go for the stiffer "it is not a problem", perhaps? (An irrelevant aside: in touristy parts of Southern Italy, some monolingual Italian speakers have taken to saying "kein Problem", even to people who speak no German - this is really a phrase that mutates).

In general, the English is, in my opinion, almost a little too slangy/colloquial in these first lessons - which is bad, inasmuch as it gives an inaccurate view of what the phrases in the target language mean. Stiff language is uglier, but it doesn't strike me as having as sharply misleading nuances.

3)
BGreco wrote:
I would change "I'm well" to "I'm good." Nobody says "I'm well," and unless you are actually talking about being ill, "I'm good" is more correct.

Simply untrue. "I'm well" vs "I'm good" varies regionally; "I'm good" is colloquial American English. Prescriptivists tend to say "I'm well" is correct and "I'm good" isn't. In all honesty, while I'm not a prescriptivist, I am a native English speaker, and "I'm good" makes me wince. "I'm fine" or "I'm ok" is what I usually say.

To Sprachprofi: please, please, please don't change it to "I'm good".

BGreco wrote:
Another input from a native English speaker: Nobody knows what the word "copula" means.

... except for people with an interest in linguistics. If you know what a copula is, it's quite annoying to try to figure out what's meant when people use various vague descriptions for people who don't know grammatical terms. A middle ground could be explaining what is meant by 'copula' briefly, although even that would scare some people off (but if it does, I doubt they'd finish the lessons anyhow).

The patterns "X is Y" and "X is not Y" are quite fundamental, and vary fairly sharply between languages; as noted in the Russian translation, Russian doesn't even have a copula, and just says "X Y", for example, while Japanese says "(X wa) Y desu".

Edited by Volte on 07 November 2008 at 6:03pm

1 person has voted this message useful

J-Learner
Australia
Joined 5819 days ago

556 posts - 636 votes 
Studies: Yiddish, English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 13 of 162
07 November 2008 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
I would like to see a grammar project started. I don't know a thing about it.

I'm good" is totally fine to my Australian English ear. We more likely drop "I'm" to simply say "good" or "good, mate".

The project is looking good and I wish I could contribute to it. One thing I will ask is about gender. How will it be done and still keep up with other languages without it?

Hebrew makes a distinction between:
I (am) drink(ing)
1.m.sg = shoteh
1.f.sg = shotah

I (am) able
1.m.sg = yeXol
1.f.sg = yeXolah

then for the plurals:
we (are) eat(ing)
anaXnu oXlim
anaXnu oXlot

I wont even bother with gender of nouns, adjectives, numbers and everything else.

I would just like to see some thoughts on this.

Shalom,
Yehoshua.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6945 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 14 of 162
07 November 2008 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
BGreco wrote:

Don't mean to be a jackass native English speaker, but I do (and I'm not a linguist). :-P

Volte
Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6228 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 

Message 15 of 162
07 November 2008 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
J-Learner wrote:
I would like to see a grammar project started. I don't know a thing about it.

I'm good" is totally fine to my Australian English ear. We more likely drop "I'm" to simply say "good" or "good, mate".

The project is looking good and I wish I could contribute to it. One thing I will ask is about gender. How will it be done and still keep up with other languages without it?

Hebrew makes a distinction between:
I (am) drink(ing)
1.m.sg = shoteh
1.f.sg = shotah

I (am) able
1.m.sg = yeXol
1.f.sg = yeXolah

then for the plurals:
we (are) eat(ing)
anaXnu oXlim
anaXnu oXlot

I wont even bother with gender of nouns, adjectives, numbers and everything else.

I would just like to see some thoughts on this.

My thought on this is simple: it'll be introduced to the extent necessary to do the translations, optionally with a footnote about some of the complexities. It's extremely introductory, and explicitly isn't meant to cover anywhere near all the grammar.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6945 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 16 of 162
07 November 2008 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Volte wrote:
A few things:

3)
BGreco wrote:
I would change "I'm well" to "I'm good." Nobody says "I'm well," and unless you are actually talking about being ill, "I'm good" is more correct.

Simply untrue. "I'm well" vs "I'm good" varies regionally; "I'm good" is colloquial American English. Prescriptivists tend to say "I'm well" is correct and "I'm good" isn't. In all honesty, while I'm not a prescriptivist, I am a native English speaker, and "I'm good" makes me wince. "I'm fine" or "I'm ok" is what I usually say.

To Sprachprofi: please, please, please don't change it to "I'm good".

Another possibility could be "I'm doing well" (it gets around the fuzziness whether one should or should not use a "true" adverb (i.e. "well") or let the adjective "good" do double duty as an unadulterated adverb as in "I feel good").

This discussion contains 162 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version