United States
Joined 5733 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 81 of 223
06 April 2009 at 8:50pm | IP Logged 
Yesterday and today I've been learning the partitive case in Finnish, something I now realize I should done much earlier. As it turns out, I've already encountered it, but I failed to recognize that some of the basic greetings use this case. To give give just one example "hyvä" (good) and päivä (day) but when I greet someone, I can say "Hyvää päivää" (Good day) and this phrase is an example of the partitve case which is often used for objects another example would be "autoa" (a car) . The partitive case adds the followings endings: a/ä, ta/tä and sometimes tta/ttä. Oh no! I've run out of time again, I'll have to continue this post later.

EDIT: I'm home from school now, so I will resume my post. Rereading this, I can see that I still need to improve my typing, but now back to Finnish. The partitive case can describe indefinite quantities of an object; such as in the above examples: "autoa" (a car)and "Hyvää päivää (Good day). The "a/ä" is used when an uninflected word ends in a consonant followed by a short vowel or if the word ends in "j" which can act like a vowel. The "ta/tä" ending is for words that in the nominative case end in a long vowel or diphthongs, and I'm still unsure about the "tta/ttä" ending. I'll need more studying and practice to really understand the partitive, but this brief explanation is enough for now. I'll study Spanish after dinner.

Nähdään taas
Mick
4/21/09 2nd EDIT: I was mistaken, the ending "tta/ttä" is not used for the partitive case, but rather it would be the less commonly used abessive case which signifies "without". Wilma kindly pointed this out, and gives a better explanation of this on the next page, but I wanted to correct the original post.

Edited by mick33 on 22 April 2009 at 1:51am

1 person has voted this message useful

Jar-ptitsa
Triglot
Belgium
Joined 5707 days ago

980 posts - 1006 votes 
Speaks: French*, Dutch, German

Message 82 of 223
06 April 2009 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
It's interesting. I didn't know of the partitive and I've searched little bit and discovered that Finnish and Estonian have it. Finnish is *very* difficult I think!!! I hope that you will have a happy easter :-) See you after one week or possibly 10 days/ 2 weeks.

mick33
United States
Joined 5733 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 83 of 223
07 April 2009 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
Jar-ptitsa wrote:
It's interesting. I didn't know of the partitive and I've searched little bit and discovered that Finnish and Estonian have it. Finnish is *very* difficult I think!!! I hope that you will have a happy easter :-) See you after one week or possibly 10 days/ 2 weeks.
I know I wrote this before but I think of Finnish as being different rather than difficult, but the cases are a challenge at first. Enjoy your Easter holiday.

mick33
United States
Joined 5733 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 84 of 223
08 April 2009 at 11:28am | IP Logged 
Afr: Ek het vir 'n rukkie geen Afrikaans hier geskrewe nie. Ek ken niemand te Afrikaans gesels nie, dus moet ek dit skryf as ek wil oefening kry. Ek het soms interessant nuwe woorde geleer en ek anders woordelys sal binnekort maak. Daar is 'n paar redes dat het ek somtyds Afrikaans en Spaans versuim te studeer, eerste ek het gesukkel met wiskunde, want ek dink wiskunde is verwarring en tweede ek het gewees bekommerd om Fins grammatika te begryp. Ek moet meer Fins woordeskat leer. Ek het vir drie maande die Fins taal gestudeer, en ek het groter verbetering verwag.

I haven't posted in Afrikaans in a while. Since I don't know anyone I can speak Afrikaans with, I need to write more Afrikaans. I've spent less time studying Afrikaans and Spanish lately because I'm having some difficulty in my math class and I'm anxious to understand Finnish grammar, but I also need to learn more words. After three months of study, I should know more Finnish.

Lekker slaap
Mick       

mick33
United States
Joined 5733 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 85 of 223
10 April 2009 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
For the last few days I've been learning more Finnish and Afrikaans vocabulary; with special focus on Finnish pronouns, therefore I hoped to write something coherent in Finnish today. Alas, the sentences I wrote in my Finnish study notebook were nothing but jibberish. I've already written about the partitve and nominative cases, but I must add that there is another equally important case; the genitive. One of the obstacles that I have encountered in trying to comprehend written Finnish (aside from my limited vocabulary) is that I did not know how the concept of possession was expressed; Finnish lacks a verb that correpsonds with "to have", but I needn't have worried, the genitve case indicates possession usually by adding "n" to a word. But there is also consonant gradation to contend with, something I still struggle with. In my next log entry, which I hope to post later tonight, I will list some of the new vocabulary words I've been learning.

Mick

mick33
United States
Joined 5733 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 86 of 223
13 April 2009 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
mick33 wrote:
In my next log entry, which I hope to post later tonight, I will list some of the new vocabulary words I've been learning.

Mick
I should've known Easter weekend would be very busy, and that I wouldn't post an entry to my log over the weekend. But I am here now, so I can post a few Finnish words. I must add that when I make vocabulary lists in my Finnish study notebook I include the suffixes for the various case endings and the patterns for verb conjugations, but that will have to be part of another post as I'm in a hurry.

rikkaus - wealth
missä? - where?
olla - to be
syödä - to eat
antaa - to give
mennä - to go
käydä - to go; to visit
liukua - to slide
mitä - what? or which?
mistä - from where? or from which?
kävellä - to walk
kaikki - everything
maailma - world

My next two posts will have some new vocabulary for Afrikaans and Spanish.

Mick

Edited by mick33 on 13 April 2009 at 7:42pm

Satoshi
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 5632 days ago

215 posts - 224 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German, Japanese

Message 87 of 223
13 April 2009 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
Finnish? And AFrikaans? And Spanish?

That's great!

I wish you good luck!

2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5733 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 88 of 223
14 April 2009 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
Satoshi wrote:
Finnish? And AFrikaans? And Spanish?

That's great!

I wish you good luck!

Thank you, and hopefully it will be great to learn 3 three languages.
mick33 wrote:
here are a few stem changing verbs:

1. empezar - "to begin" the 2nd "e" changes to "ie"
2. volver - "to return" "o" becomes "ue"
3. entender - "to understand" "e" > "ie"
(I wonder how this one differs from "comprende".)
4. recordar - "to remember" "o" > "ue"

The stem or the root of "empezar" is "empe-" but when conjugated it is usually "empie-" thus:
yo empiezo
tú empiezas
Ud/él/ella empieza.
But, nosotros empezamos, and
vosotros empezáis which makes me wonder why the other forms change the stem,
and finally Uds/ellos/ellas empiezan.
This is not difficult once I've practiced it, but I've already encountered more exceptions in Spanish grammar than in both Afrikaans and Finnish.

Mick

I took a test in Spanish last Wednesday, and I passed, but didn't do as well as I wanted to. I struggled with the stem-changing verbs, I couldn't remember all the conjugations even though I thought I knew them pretty well. Even the irregular verbs don't usually have radically different conjugation in the present tense.

Here are a few Spanish words I've learned:

la llave - key
alegre - happy, joyful
cansado/a - tired
desordenado/a - disorderly
la cabaña - cabin
sucio/a - dirty
limpio/a -clean
This week I will be learning about the present progressive tense in Spanish, which should be fun for me; as I often use the progressive tense in English. Afrikaans does not have a progressive tense which seemed unusual at first though I've since learned that many languages either never had or no longer use a progressive tense. I look forward to learning how this tense works in Spanish and knowing about it will probably help me write and speak more naturally.

Buenas noches
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 14 April 2009 at 7:21pm

This discussion contains 223 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version