Joined 5734 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 153 of 223
11 August 2009 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
Hi Mick, It's interesting to read your conjugation schemes! Of course I know the Spanish one, but I like to recapitulate.

About Finnish, would you say that it's a logically structured language? Are there many exceptions to the grammar rules? How many cases does Finnish have? (Turkish has 6!)

Fasulye
Thanks, I'm glad you like reading my log.

Finnish looks like it's logically structured. I don't think there are many exceptions to the grammar rules; but there is a lot of grammar and some features which are unusual for speakers of Indo-European languages, such as consonant gradation. Finnish has 14 or 15 cases, depending on whether or not the accusative case is considered to be separate from the genitive case.

I know very little about Turkish; mostly from reading your Turkish log, but I did notice that both Finnish and Turkish have vowel harmony.

Mick

Edited by mick33 on 11 August 2009 at 7:27pm

1 person has voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5734 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 154 of 223
11 August 2009 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
mick33 wrote:

My first list of Swedish words
jag - I
ofta - often
vi - we
kanske - perhaps
tala - speak
dansa - dance
månad - month
onsdag - Wednesday
igen - again
eftermiddag - afternoon
nu - now
där - there
mig - me
igår - yesterday

As far as I can estimate Danish right now, I see some similarities with Danish.

Fasulye
I remember reading some of Iversen's hyperliteral Danish to English translations and that's what I think too.

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5657 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 155 of 223
11 August 2009 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
It's not so common that people learn Finnish, so thanks for your explanations. I have only once - sitting in the metro - seen a woman sitting there with a Finnish textbook (probably from the adulte education centre) studying Finnish.

Fasulye

mick33
United States
Joined 5734 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 156 of 223
12 August 2009 at 2:09am | IP Logged 
Maybe I have overwhelmed my brain lately, too much studying has that effect. I'm getting rather frustrated with my Spanish class because I'm struggling with direct object pronouns, indirect object pronouns, and now double object pronouns. The way object pronouns are used in Spanish still seems weird to me, or maybe it's how they have been taught. I think indirect object pronouns are the most problematic, and these are: me, te, le[se], nos, os, and les [se] and these words are used to explain for whom an action is being done. That much I understand, but the word order gets confusing, so tonight after eating some leftover ham I will be studying object pronouns in Spanish.

Mick

mick33
United States
Joined 5734 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 157 of 223
12 August 2009 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
Fasulye wrote:
It's not so common that people learn Finnish, so thanks for your explanations. I have only once - sitting in the metro - seen a woman sitting there with a Finnish textbook (probably from the adulte education centre) studying Finnish.

Fasulye
Your welcome. I'm actually kind of surprised that I could find a few Finnish textbooks in the local bookstores.

Edited by mick33 on 12 August 2009 at 2:16am

mick33
United States
Joined 5734 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 158 of 223
13 August 2009 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
Today is my last day of classes YAY!!!! at least until 23 September. So I finally get to have a whole month where I can spend as much time as I want to on learning languages. One of the things I've found out about myself is that I get more done when I follow, or try to follow, a schedule. Not a strict schedule, I've never been very disciplined in anything I do, but at least some kind of basic plan. I know wrote somewhere on this forum that I like to break up my day into blocks for studying various subjects; usually these blocks last between thirty minutes and two hours at the very longest. I still like the idea, but during school this scheme doesn't always work well; sometimes my coursework requires more than two hours a day. Even so, after two hours on one subject I go do something else for a few minutes, then if for example I have more math to study I go back to it.

So today after spending about two hours on math I ate an apple and a peanut butter and honey sandwich and decided to study Swedish. However, I kept thinking about Finnish; after thirty minutes I decided to stop fighting the urge to study Finnish, so for the last hour I have been translating song lyrics.

Now I might be ready for Swedish, or maybe Spanish? Oh well so much for being organized today.

Mick

Edited by mick33 on 04 September 2009 at 5:24am

mick33
United States
Joined 5734 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 159 of 223
04 September 2009 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
Afr. Ek het terug weer! Ek het nie 'n vakansie van TAC geplan nie. My rekenaar is gebroke weer. Somtyds dink ek my rekenaar sou nooit werk goed nie, 'n gedagte dat ek inderdaad vind baie frustrerend. Ek kan vandag hierdie boodskap tik omdat ek is nou-nou my broer se rekenaar gebruik. Ek glo dat daar is 'n paar voordele en ook nadele om probeer te studeer vreemde tale sonder 'n rekenaar. Eerste sal ek die voordele verduidelik: 1 Wanneer ek het nie 'n rekenaar te gebruik nie ek kan meer grammatika studeer. 2. Ek kon ook "wonderlust" ignoreer omdat ek kon nie enige afleidend webwerve gekyk nie, alhoovel ek moet sê, ek het . Ek dink die nadele is: 1.Wanneer ek kon nie my rekenaar gebruik nie, kon ek geen musiek luister nie, dus het ek met my afrikaans en fins uitspraak gesukkel. 2. Ek het slegs 'n paar boeke of artikels te lees.

Ek het inderdaad hierdie laaste drie weke alles my tale gestudeer, maar laaste week het ek meer sweeds as anders tale geleer.

I am back, at least for today. My computer at home is having problems again, so no internet. Today I'm using my brother's laptop, and next week I might go to the library to use a computer for updating this log. I have been very busy these past three weeks, and not only because of language learning. Two weeks ago, my mother decided I should learn how to can blackberries (The middle of August is blackberry season in Washington)and pickle cucumbers, and today I'm babysitting my 10 month old nephew. Although I have studied all my languages; for the last week I have been focusing on Swedish, mainly because I'm frustrated by the pronunciation. The two tones, or pitch accents or maybe I want to call them pitch variations, are not the problem because I don't care about them right now. My problem is that I can't quite figure out what syllable should be stressed in certain words, although I think if I listen to more spoken Swedish I'll eventually fix this.

I've learned some intersting things about Swedish; there are three verbs that translate in English as "to know" though of course each word expresses a different kind of knowledge and it is possible to have as many as six verbs that can be translated in English as "to be"!! I guess I can now stop worrying about "ser" and "estar" in Spanish. Worry is probably the wrong word to use, because usually these "duplicate verbs" are only confusing if I can't find clear explanations for when to use "vära" or "ligger" (I think that's one of the six Swedish verbs for "to be") or one of the others.

I've also discovered that I like Colloquial Swedish a little better than Teach Yourself Swedish, so I'm using both.

Vi ses senare
and lekker dag
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 02 November 2009 at 8:44am

Fasulye
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Germany
fasulyespolyglotblog
Joined 5657 days ago

5460 posts - 6006 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 160 of 223
04 September 2009 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
NL: Ja, inderdaad, dat is vervelend als je computer kapotgaat en je hebt geen internettoegang meer. Als mij zoiets overkomt (heb ik onlangs ook gehad) kan ik gelukkig altijd uitwijken naar onze mediotheek waar je publiekelijk voor een uur per dag kunt internetten, mits je een lidmaatschapskaart hebt. Ik hoop dat het al gauw weer in orde komt met je computer...

Fasulye

Edited by Fasulye on 04 September 2009 at 1:22am

This discussion contains 223 messages over 28 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version